Hmmm…homemade fish food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Homemade Dog Food Hmmm…homemade fish food

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pittiemama

I posted this is the Health issues and Nutrition portion. Maybe this would have been a better place. I don’t know so…

I have a 5 year old rescue Am. Staff. who sadly has early kidney failure. I’m seeing a holistic vet in a couple of weeks for guidance on so many things with him. He also has a lot of food intolerances. I was wondering what you all know about home cooking. I hear a lot about raw but I’m wondering about cooking. Right now I feed Honest Kitchen Brave. It’s great and he loves it but if his phosphorous starts to rise I’ll need to rethink his diet a little or I may start earlier just to be sure he’s getting everything right. I’m definitely in the planning stage right now. Also I add in a little kibble to decrease the cost some, Honest Kitchen is spendy and would be about $250-300/month on it’s own (my guy is 74#) and to decrease the phosphorous I found a kibble that’s balanced but has a lower phosphorous due to their formulation. I’m not at all restricting as he’s not at that point yet but I figured if I find something that’s a little lower and still balanced, that’s probably best right now. Because of his allergies I feed him fish diets, which is the only protein I’ve found so far that works well and the one that doesn’t give him pink skin and ear infections, so unless I figure out another protein that he can tolerate, fish it is. Also he’s allergic to some grains (I think corn…ick, wheat…no thanks and not sure about rice) and I don’t want to feed him grain, just my preference. I’m mostly wanting meat, veggies, fruit and supplements.
    Here’s my question:
    Have any of you cooked meals with fish? Most of the diets I see are chicken, turkey, beef etc. What fish did you use? I mostly see pollock, mackerel, sardines etc. What have you used? I’m thinking of using a base like Honest Kitchen Preference or Dr. Harvey’s Veg-to-Bowl and adding cooked fish. Again, I’m not married to that idea but because balance is so difficult and I want to be sure he is getting the right nutrition. Balance is key! It is with everything but he’s a complicated dude, hence the trip to the holistic vet. I’m sure she can help but so many of you have knowledge and experience that I figured it would help me narrow down some ideas and research points.
    Thanks a bunch!

#82635 Report Abuse
    Laura S

I use Sojos Pre-mix for my Frenchies. I prefer to cook the protein and I feed my male wild caught salmon and my female grass fed lamb. My female is a super picky eater and won’t eat raw. I don’t agree with the recommended amount of protein to pre-mix in the directions on the bag so I add additional protein. I also bought a box of the grain free Honest Kitchen base mix, but I am hesitant to feed because it has peas and since I have switched to Sojos, that has no peas, my male has stopped licking his paws. I also have contacted Primal Pet foods to inquire if they were ever planning on putting out a base or pre-mix because I like that the majority of the fruits and veggies are organic, but unfortunately the answer was no and they don’t make a fish based formula. Both of my dogs have bad allergies and are on medication but I am always experimenting with diet in hopes that it may help them be less itchy. We have managed to steer away from ear infections once I eliminated potatos from their diet too.

#82703 Report Abuse
    Pittiemama

Thanks Laura! So far my guy has also been ear mostly infection free since finding an appropriate food. We got him a couple of years ago from the shelter with a myriad of problems and it can take a while to figure it all out. We really do like HK although of course the one that seems to work is the most expensive and sadly it’s not going to be able to last long term anyway due to his kidney disease…it’s too high in phosphorous. So here I am trying to be proactive and figuring out a lower phosphorous, allergy friendly, tasty food for him. They are complicated critters aren’t they? I’ll take a peek at Sojos. I’ve seen them before but haven’t tried them. I prefer not to feed raw (just my opinion at this point but I’m not closed off from it) and with the protein being fish (so far) that’s out of the question anyway. I’m trialing some food and next up is cooked turkey to see if that will be an option. Thanks again and best to you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.