🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 38 posts - 51 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    Dori

Dog Obsessed. I read the same reviews on Chewy.

I bought the large package of three Himalyan Chews for my three toy dogs 5, 6 and 7 lbs. of course, as is typical with them, two of the chews lay around untouched. The three dogs are obsessed with the one particular chew. As soon as one of the dogs puts it down, the next dog picks it up and so on. They’ve been doing this for days. They totally ignore the other two chews that came in the same package. No matter how often I offer the other two dogs the other two chews they just ignore them and wait for whoever has the “special” chew to drop it. DOGS!!! Gotta love em.

#55043 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Sandy, I’ve used the yaks sticks. They love em, definitely a special occasion treat in my house

#55048 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Sandy, mine do the exact same thing. Angel can start a new chew though. It’s like her superpower.

Yes, Dog Obsessed, you are stereotyping, but you are also 100% correct. Thank God, she doesn’t pay attention to all the terrier stereotypes.

#55055 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@BCnut That’s probably good a lot of the time. I actually love JRTs, I think I sort of have a personal relation to them. 😀 My friend has a JRT chihuahua mix that is the calmest dog I’ve ever met though, so that proves it is just a stereotype. Also, Lily has some terrier aspects to her. She digs in the furniture when she’s bored, is completely obsessed with squirrels, and she loves to chew, which is why she likes Himalayan chews!

#55068 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Angel has an on/off switch. She is 110% when she is on, but when she is off, 0%, total couch potato. She only spars when my husband winds her up. She isn’t always ready to have a go at any dog who looks at her. She’s the best eater in the house. It’s rare that I ever think about her terrierness.

#55076 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Can you control the on/off switch? That would be a useful feature. 😀

#55078 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

HaHaHa!! She is a terrier. Of course I can’t control the switch. Actually, if she is indoors, she is pretty much off, if she’s outdoors, she’s on. She is my mighty little hunter. No snake, lizard, or toad is safe from her wrath.

#55082 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I looked in my Sunday box of chewies and pulled out a Himalayan chew I had on hand. I remembered why I stopped giving them to Sam.

I get nervous about the way he chews on that thing. He tries to crunch it and does manage to bite some pieces off. I worry he could crack a tooth. When he takes a break from chewing and Bella steals it for a bit, she gnaws on it and I’m so much more comfortable with her chewing.

I have two of them left and I really hate to give him another. Poor Sam.

#55087 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That’s how it was with Buddy, but he had great teeth. He ate a beef knuckle in about 30 minutes. That’s how I found out that he couldn’t be trusted with certain chews. After that I never would have given him a Himmy. Or a whole lot of other things.

Your Sunday box of chewies? Do you have certain chews for each day of the week?

#55156 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

LOL BC, I’m definitely not that organized!

I have a couple of boxes of chews and treats in my dog food horde. I seems like I pull it out only once a week, on Sundays, to give one to each of my doggies; hence the name, The Sunday Box.

Yesterday, Sam was so cute with that Himmy. He even took a nap with it in his mouth because he didn’t want Bella to take a turn with it even though he was sleeping. By the end of the day, it started to get small and he would have the whole thing in his mouth with his teeth closed tight around it when I’d try to take it from him. I figured he was seconds away from swallowing the thing whole. I’ve found the remains of a bully sticks about three inches long while I was doing poop patrol and the Himmy was shorter (albeit fatter) than that. But the sound of him chewing it was making me nervous. It sounded worse than him eating a big fat turkey neck.

Needless to say, I got my reading glasses on and stuck my head in his mouth to inspect his teeth after I took it from him. Everything looked fine, but I was almost sorry that I let him have it as long as I did. He just loved it so much I hate to take it from him.

#55164 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi BC. I just posted a question to you on Akari’s Doggie Dementia re Himalayan Chews and Hannah. I lost track of what thread I was on because someone mentioned the himalayan chews there. Could you take a moment and check my question out and tell me what you think and what you would do? Thanks so very much.

#55187 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hi Dori, I saw it and responded in the same post as I responded to Akari.

#55199 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks BC. Just saw your post and thanked you. If she’s still like this tomorrow then I’m taking her straight to the vet. She actually seems a little worse right this moment. I know humans are different than canines, but when this happens to you how long does it typically take to clear up for you?

#55207 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What? Reverse sneezes? I don’t do that. Gacky throat from milk products? It’s worse for about an hour right after I finish what I’m eating, then it starts to clear up. You put warm water in her food, right? That should help clear a mucousy throat, if that’s what it is.

#55215 Report Abuse
    Dori

Very funny BC. I didn’t mean you did the reverse sneezing thing. Hahaha. I meant the funkiness after you eat milk or cheese. You are hilarious. I needed a little chuckle. Yes, I do add warm water to her food. She seems to be getting worse as the hours go by. I’m hoping I don’t have to bring her to the emergency clinic tonight. I’m a bit pissed at myself for not bringing her to her regular vet this afternoon. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

#55217 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Go ahead and get some warm water down her throat and see if it helps. That will help you to know if you need to worry any further. Poor girl. You and Hannah, both.

#56147 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Lily is still enjoying these very much, but I have noticed she often drinks water after chewing them. I know they do contain some salt, but I don’t think it would be enough to cause a problem if eating slowly. Would anyone expect these making her thirsty to be an issue?

#56158 Report Abuse
    Dori

Actually they make all three of my girls thirsty and drink more water than they normally would. Not an issue though. Just remember to let Lily out a bit more often when you’ve given her the Himalayan chew. More water is always good for them but she will have to go out more often.

#56163 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Okay, thanks!

#56167 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I think it’s because they are so dry, cause my dogs never get enough off of them for the salt content to be an issue. I still have half of one and it’s been almost a month.

#56168 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Yeah, I only give these to Lily for about 20 mins per day, and the small ones last about 10 days, so I don’t think she could possibly be getting enough salt to be an issue.

#64189 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I just got another package of these, and I am wondering how to store them. Before I had been freezing unused ones, and sometimes freezing partly-chewed ones, though sometimes I left them at room temperature for several days. What is the best way to store these?

#64190 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Unchewed, I just leave in the package. Chewed, I would freeze if it’s damp, but if it’s dry within an hour, I’d just leave it out. Mine dried quickly. I’ve not had one get soft anywhere. If it absorbed enough saliva to soften, I’d freeze it.

#64191 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Thanks! She chewed on one about half an hour ago, and it’s almost dry, so I think it should be okay. I’ll keep an eye on it though.

#64210 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

One more question, sorry! How long is it okay to keep them at room temp. before and during being chewed? I usually give them in increments of about half an hour per day, and a small one will last about a week like that. I sometimes keep them a month or more before they are chewed. Are both these time periods okay? Thanks!

#74192 Report Abuse
    Jenny F

Hello Everyone,
    I wish I could say I had a good experience with the Himalayan bone chew. I bought a pack of 2 on Saturday for my 3-year old Frenchie named Rocco. At first, he seemed to enjoy the new ‘toy’ and he chewed it for hours while still under my supervision. Since I only gave him the small 3-inch piece and saved the long one for later, I saw him chewing and breaking it into small particles till this small piece became a 2-inch chew which he left because he got tired. On Sunday, we gave him the small 2-inch piece to play with but looked like he went through it so fast and he swalled a smaller piece when we were about to take it away. He got sick on Monday morning; woke up puking bile then he got better and ate breakfast at his usual time 9am. He was fine the whole day. Tuesday, he puked bile again early morning but got better on time for breakfast and also had dinner at 7pm. Wednesday, puked bile again in the morning, ate breakfast and dinner around 7pm but right after he puked what not only seemed his dinner but breakfast as well; he also had dark diarrhea that night and we had to take him out several times. I gave him a pepto because he seemed to have gas and stomachache. He released some gas during the night. At 4am on Thursday, he got up and I took him out to the yard where he puke a lot again but this time he released normal stool. Since it was dark, I couldn’t clean the puke till 6am and when I did – I saw the two pieces of himalayan bone that combined look like the size I originally gave him. I thought the nightmare was over, because also after that he went to sleep piecefuly but he woke up later and started to puke again. I feel so bad for my little guy; I tried to give him something different but enjoyable and I got him sick. Once he gets better, I’m just going to stick to what works for him and it’s the Deer’s antler.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Jenny F.
    #74194 Report Abuse
    Dori

Jenny F.

What brand were you using?

/dog-food-recall/himalayan-dog-chews-recall/

#81441 Report Abuse
    R C

I gave one of this Himalayan Dog Chew to one of my dogs yesterday. She shattered a few bits in the beginning, but then she swallowed the whole thing! It’s about almost 3″ x 1″ I think….
    This morning she tried to throw up, she couldn’t get it out. I think her stomach told her this thing cannot be digested. What should I do to help her get it out? HELP.

#81442 Report Abuse
    anonymously

It is too late to try to induce vomiting….you could cause more damage.

If it was my dog I would have concerns, I would call the nearest emergency veterinary clinic and see what they advise. They may want you to bring her in, keep the wrapper with the ingredients of the object she swallowed handy, so that they know what they are dealing with.
    Vomiting is not a good sign. She could develop a blockage, or depending on how sharp the material is, a perforation.
    Call a vet.

#81459 Report Abuse
    anonymously

“Foreign bodies of the stomach are always potentially serious, but may not constitute a medical emergency. Many foreign bodies eventually exit the stomach and pass harmlessly in the feces. It is the foreign bodies that become permanently lodged or that block food passage that are the most critical. The inability to eat and/or vomiting are sure signs that the foreign body is causing a problem”.
    “All foreign bodies must be removed from the stomach. Some, especially if small, will pass into the intestines and exit the body with the feces. If a lubricant such as mineral oil is administered, it may be especially helpful at moving the foreign bodies, such as a small piece of cloth or small fragments of bone, into the intestine. Mineral oil, however, is of little help in aiding the passing of large objects such as balls. If an object is going to pass naturally, it usually occurs within 48 hours of ingestion. If vomiting begins, or the object fails to naturally pass, then surgical removal is the only option. Left untreated, gastric foreign bodies usually result in ulceration, starvation, dehydration, and eventually death. If your puppy ingests a foreign object, always consult your veterinarian to determine the appropriate therapy”.

The above are excerpts from Pet Education, Doctors Foster & Smith “Foreign Bodies in the Stomach Can Cause Vomiting in Dogs” I was not able to post the link.

#81467 Report Abuse
    Dori

R C If this was my dog, I’d already be at emergency veterinary clinic not here asking for advice. Please get your dog to an emergency clinic as quickly as you can!

#81516 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I just read this….p;ease update us!

#81618 Report Abuse
    Laurie W

Our 7 mo old golden loves Himalayan Dog Chews and we give them to him 2-3x a week. I have no choking concerns since he’s supervised.

The one concern that I do have is about the calcium content. Since they are primarily yak and cow’s milk — I’m wondering if there might be too much calcium for a LB puppy. Anyone else evaluated or considered this?

#81820 Report Abuse
    Laurie W

I saw our vet today and asked about this. She said Himalayan Dog Chews are fine as long as there’s not a possibility of breaking a tooth. Our dog has all of his adult teeth now so she said no problem. For us, cost will keep the quantity in check (they’re pricey and he can chew one of the red label ones in a day!) but they’re fine in terms of calcium.

#82057 Report Abuse
    candee m

i looked at chewys online and they are higher than amazon or buying them in the pet store. i have 3 small dogs so i buy the 15 pounds and under, of course the bigger the dog they become a little more expensive. my dogs love these and when we make them into a cookie they eat those pretty quick lol

#85821 Report Abuse
    Derick D

You guys should check out @naksnacks. or http://www.naksnacks.com

We have the best deals on Himalayan dog chews. We also have a variety of other products that are made from our chews. Check it out

#86766 Report Abuse

i loved these things, my 30 lb mini golden doodle would chew on them for a couple of days. when they get really small, i just take them away. well, a couple of days ago, she quit eating and then the next day threw up a bit of bile, ate some dinner and seemed completely well other than a slight anorexia. late in the evening the next day, she barfed up some more bile, no food, ate some grass, then a few bites of dinner. still seemed fine. in the middle of the night urping and upchucked something quite hard. i washed it off, gave her some water and went back to bed. upon further inspection in the morning, i found she had swallowed hole a bit of himalayan dog chew perhaps the size of the end of my thumb. she is far better now, but if you are giving them these things. snag the last bit and throw it away. i didn’t see this piece or i would have done that myself. i probably won’t buy anymore after the bag is gone. apparently it sat undigested in her stomach for a couple of days.

#87181 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

I have purchased the “puff” version of these. I did buy one of the harder kind, but I was worried it would be too hard on my dogs’ teeth. And since it wasn’t a quick treat, it caused too much dog-to-dog conflict. The puff ones are a crunchy crumbly mess but are a hit with both my small dogs.

Viewing 38 posts - 51 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.