šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Terry W

I am so confused about what is good for my little dog. The vet wants my 13lb dachshund/min-pin mix to be on Royal Canin O/S, but that makes my dog pee every hour and he can’t hold it, even with his urine ok. So we had him on Hills Ideal Balance Chicken & Brown Rice for Adult Dogs, he now has the high protein/PH levels and struvites again. The Vet said try Royal Canin for small dogs. I am looking at the ingredients and what is posted for ratings and it is awful.
    I am going to try Grandma Lucys Artisan Freeze Dries Mix, with a couple of tablespoons of Evangers Beef & Chicken with water to see if that will bring the levels down. Has anyone had any similar experience or can recommend any other foods??

#72105 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Ask your vet if Wysong (urinary prescription) is an option. http://www.wysong.net/veterinarian//rx-diets/urinary.html
    In the meantime, frequent bathroom breaks are a good idea, the more he urinates (normal amounts) the better.

Add H20 to his food , keep the bladder flushed.
    Also ask your vet about potassium citrate supplements.

/forums/topic/recipe-for-royal-canine-so/
    /forums/topic/amonium-urate/ /forums/topic/struvite-crystals/

#72106 Report Abuse
    Terry W

Thanks, I will check it out. I have purchased from our Green K-9 store a package of Grandma Lucy’s Dry mix that we stir in watter and hydrate, low protein and I will add a couple of tbsp’s of wet Evangers Chicken & Rice and see how that goes. Seems very similar to the Wysongs’.

#72110 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Be careful with the canned foods, I gave my dogs some Wellness whitefish and sweet potato as a topper, 2 were fine, but one of my dogs vomited 2-3 times within 12 hours. The canned food was on day 3, kept covered in the fridg, I threw it out.
    He seems to be back to normal now.

#72112 Report Abuse
    Terry W

That is funny you mentioned that about the canned food. The owner of the store at Green K-9 said to make sure that I put the food in a plastic sealed container after opening the can the first time.
    I also just ordered some of the Wysong Biotic PH- supplement for my dog. I think between the new dehydrated food and the supplement, I can lower the PH and eliminate the struvites. I have also ordered some PH test strips to keep an eye on things. Thanks for the information on Wysongs.

#72113 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

You are welcome. Good luck.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.