šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lori C

I have an older (about 9 years old), Australian Shepherd mix. We also have a younger Golden Retriever.

The other day, I had a bright idea, to pressure cook the chicken bones from a chicken I had cooked in the slow cooker.

I pressure cooked all of the bones until they could be smashed easily between my fingers.

I poured a couple Tablespoons of the broth and bones on top of each dogs dry kibble.

They loved it so much that a I did it 3 days in a row.

This morning, our Australian Shepherd mix started throwing up clear liquid, and bits of grass.
    She is lethargic, her nose is dry, and she is not eating.

***The last time I fed her the chicken bones and broth was yesterday February 25th, 2015.
    She was fine all day yesterday, and last night.

She started throwing up this morning.

We are snowed in, in Knoxville. I can’t get her to a vet until tomorrow morning.

I would appreciate any feedback from the forum members.

Thank you in advance,

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Mike Sagman. Reason: Fix Duplicate Topic Title
    #67554 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you didn’t crush all of the bones, I would worry that they didn’t all cook as thoroughly. Withhold all food and water for at least 6 hours. If she shows no further sign of vomiting, give her 1 or 2 ice cubes. If that doesn’t cause her to start vomiting again, after 2 hours, you can give her 1/2 cup of water. If that doesn’t start her vomiting, after 2 more hours you can start allowing her free access to water. Do not feed her anything until she has not vomited for at least 12 hours, then offer only 1/4 of a normal meal max, just a few pieces at first would be better.

Watch closely for diarrhea. If she has watery diarrhea, then she may have a blockage and it’s important for her to be seen by a vet ASAP.

#67659 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Lori-
    How is your dog doing today?

#67737 Report Abuse
    Dori

Lori, we who have seen your post asking for help are concerned about your dog. Please let us know how she is doing and what was the outcome of the visit to the vet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.