🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chance D

Hello everyone! Me and my partner have four beautiful four legged babies, 2 small terrier mixes, a chihuahua, and miniature schnauzer. I am looking for s good healthy food to switch them too, hopefully one that is not outrageously priced. However, on top of looking for a new healthy food I would really like to purchase large bags ( at least 50lbs) All the healthy affordable food comes in very small bags. I understand better quality food means the less that they need to eat. But, still there is FOUR of them! So any suggestions would be oh so appreciated 🙂

#68565 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Some of the Victor dog foods come in 50 lb bags. Also, Flint River Ranch comes in 10 or 20 lb bags but you can buy a larger quantity for a less. The fats in kibble can start to go rancid once a bag is opened if not stored properly so using a bag up within a month or less of opening can be a good idea.

#68570 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Dr Tim’s is a gret food, great company, no recalls. Three of his formulas come in 40 and 44 lb. I do not think any high quality food comes in a 50lb bag.

#68571 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I buy the Victor grain free joint health recipe in 50lb bags. I think it is the only one that comes in 50lbs, but I believe a few of their other recipes with grain come in 40lb bags. I have two large dogs, 80 and 85 pounds. I think it is a great company. Good luck!

#68574 Report Abuse
    Lynn J

One thing to consider is that you typically want to finish a bag within 3-6 weeks. This is because the better foods do not have synthetic preservatives, and fats start becoming rancid after being exposed to air (when the bag is opened). I have read that some people open a bag and freeze half, you would need freezer space to do that. Maybe other people can comment on this.

#68576 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

The fish oils and vitamin E begin to dissipate immediately once the bag is opened. I store 1/2 the contents of a bag in a tightly closed container and store it in a cool place, put what I am using in a large coffee container in the fridg, refill every few days.

#68592 Report Abuse
    Chance D

Thank you all so much for the tips and recommendations!! I have a deep freeze in the garage that might finally come in handy 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.