🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Sam Koch

Hello,

I have a 14.3 pound Chihuahua mix named Honey. Her girth is huge, 19 inches for her. I’ve had three different harnesses for her, all fitted either by the trainer or employees at my local pet store. They have all given her burns and I feel terrible. Should I get a different harness or do the burns eventually cease? Her skin is very thin and fragile. Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

#67148 Report Abuse
    Lee K

Hi Sam…this may or may not help, but I saw on Etsy.com that someone is making harnesses to order….maybe you can find that site and the person might be able to suggest some fabric better suited to your pup’s skin. Good luck

#67149 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

Thanks so much! I’ll check that out.

#67151 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve been using Guardian Gear Nylon 2-Step Harness size 15-25 inch on my small dogs and haven’t had any burn issues. I’ve tried the fancier ones, but always come back to this one.

#67155 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I had a step in nylon harness the first time and it chafed her. I think the problem is is that it comes up right behind her legs and chafes her armpits. I’m not sure how to keep the harness lower where it’s supposed to be.

#67157 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I also use the Guardian Gear Camo Harness on my large ones (it does come in smaller size) and the chest piece is adjustable in length so the back of the harness sits farther from the armpit.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u651/pugmomsandy/pictures%20for%20posting/harness_zpsreqedjjl.jpg

#67159 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant
    #67160 Report Abuse
    Dori

Please go to baxterboo.com and look at the American River Harnesses by Doggie Design. I have three toy dogs and they are the only harnesses that I use on them. They last forever, do not bind or hurt them in any way. Very comfortable and forgiving size wise. Measure your dog approx. one inch or so below her underarms and also around the largest part of her rib cage. The size for your dog should either be a medium which goes up to a size 19″ or a large which starts at size 19″. They do have a little adjusting room. The site has one of the best customer service departments I’ve ever felt with and delivery is incredibly fast. Also, if you make a mistake in sizing they will exchange no questions asked. I have three toy dogs and again, they are the only harnesses I will use on my dogs. They are also great because they are also known as “choke free” harnesses so they don’t put any pressure on their throats or tracheas. Can’t recommend them enough, they really are fabulous and a God send for small dogs.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dori.
    #67162 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sorry everyone, some how I wound up posting twice. Lost the first one, started posting again and then the original one popped up.

Please go on baxterboo.com and look at the harnesses by American River. They are made by Doggie Design and they are fantastic. I have three toy dogs and they are the only harnesses that I will use on them. They are fool proof and very gentle and they cannot in anyway burn or hurt your dog. They also last forever. Just measure your dog about 1 inch below her rib cage (or the largest part of her rib cage) and order that size. They are a bit forgiving with the size.

Forgot to mention that they are always having sales and free shipping on a lot of items.

#67167 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

Dori, they look great. I will definitely check them out. I will order a medium first.

#67171 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I had a lot of problems with my dachshund coughing and reverse sneezing as a result of her step in harness pressing on her neck in just the wrong way. I found one that works great, and is available in-store, for a decent price. The brand is Pet Atire. It’s still step-in style, but has a padded, non-adjustable neck and chest piece. Costs about $13 for a small.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/493B9A27-DDAC-409D-A4C0-0D26A09AC749_zpsy29snp92.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/8CE85655-F94E-4732-8EC7-496D80D0734D_zpszdgmwyax.jpg

She doesn’t have a problem with burns, but my oldest dog, a 12 year old lab mix, does and she goes naked while at home and gets a choker when a leash is needed (or a very loose cheapy, thus thin and flexible, buckle collar when I can’t find the choker). There’s just no other way, her skin is too sensitive to collars.

#67173 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sam K. Glad I could help.

#67182 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

@Akari Wait, she’s more sensitive to a collar than a choke chain?

#67184 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I only use harnesses for my Cavaliers. I have many that I love. Let’s just say their wardrobe matches that of any royalty, lol! Anyway, some of my favorites are these:

http://www.eezwalker.com

http://www.udogu.com

I love, love these for my dogs!

Oh, yeah, another is the snugfit harness from Pinkaholic.

And http://www.parkavenuedogs.com

Hope this helps!

#67185 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Try this…..www.activedogs.com/eezwalker

#67186 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yeah, Dog_Obsesed, when a fabric collar rubs Haley’s neck, the fur underneath falls out almost immediately, even if it’s loose. She’s the kind of dog that walks next to me off leash in a crowded area (if the law permitted, anyways). Choker never tightens, because she doesn’t act like most other dogs on walks lol

#67187 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Okay, that makes sense. As long as the chain doesn’t tighten it shouldn’t hurt her. having a dog that always walks next to me seems surreal to me. 🙂

#67188 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yes, Haley is just the perfect dog. She’s so well natured 🙂 I even walk her on a Flexi leash with a choker. I can break all the dog rules with her :p

#67189 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

The eezwalker is a favorite of mine because it is made of soft fleece that doesn’t chafe or bind. It is highly adjustable and has two buckles that buckle up high on the dog’s sides/back. Very comfortable for the dog and doesn’t slide around. I also have American River mesh harnesses for my dogs, as well. They’re nice, too. Like I said…..wardrobes fit for kings! LOL!

#67195 Report Abuse

I will chime in also, the ones I adore are by MIMI GREEN they have a lot of different kinds and colors. go to Mimigreen.com I don’t use the matching leashes I like the flexi “TAPE” 16ft the cord is horrible and dangerous -amazon sells them as well as chewy.com at good prices.
    Hope this helps -I know you will be overwhelmed with all the suggestions.

#67197 Report Abuse

another suggestion is the PUPPIA harnesses they have many varieties

#67222 Report Abuse
    Becky

I was just logging off and saw this–have to comment. I just ordered another harness tonight from Little Paws Apparel on Etsy and I LOVE her stuff. It’s very durable, but very easy to put on and off and very comfortable for the dogs. She’s wonderful to work with and her prices are reasonable. I’ve ordered from her for years. Here’s the link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/LittlePawsApparel

#67308 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I use Sense-Ation and Sense-ible harnesses by Soft Touch Concepts.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.