GSD with EPI – suggestions of low fat/fiber grainfree kibble

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health GSD with EPI – suggestions of low fat/fiber grainfree kibble

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CHRISTINE C

When my 2yr old GSD was diagnosed with EPI, we were feeding her Orijen with enzymes. Stools firmed up but not to optimal level. I have changed her food to Merrick GF Pork, which I love for her skin allergies, but still not the results I’m looking for. It is 17% fat/ 3.8 %fiber. I think I need to lower the fat content more. I was thinking about Wellness Core Reduced Fat, but the fiber is too high at 8.5%. Using 1tsp of Enzymediane 6X per 1 cup of Kibble. Does anyone have any suggestions for a low fat/fiber grain free better quality kibble?

#54803 Report Abuse
    USA

Hi CHRISTINE C,

How is her weight? Is it stable? If she is a healthy weight and not losing any weight, then considering her stool firmed up she is doing pretty good with the EPI.

The first thing I would would try is a lower fat food. Horizon Amicus, Senior and Weight Management Formula is:
    Protein 30%
    Fat 10.5%
    Fiber 4.25%
    http://www.horizonpetnutrition.com/uploads/3/3/1/6/3316884/amicus_ga.pdf

If the low fat low fiber option doesn’t help, you can tweak the dose of enzymes a little. You could try 1 and 1 eighth teaspoons per cup of kibble if she doesn’t have any bad reactions like mouth sores or diarrhea or vomiting, etc.

Good Luck!!!

#54813 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Christine, Do u have this link you probably do, just scroll down a bit & there’s a few recommened foods (kibbles) for EPI dogs, apparently “Canine Caviar” products are getting great reveiws from EPI parents..
    http://www.epi4dogs.com/dogfoodoptions.htm
    Do you belong to a EPI Dog group either with Yahoo or Facebook as u’ll get more feed back from EPI Dog parents….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.