Ground Raw Bones Used in Many RAW foods: Heavy Metals ie lead, mercury Concern?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Ground Raw Bones Used in Many RAW foods: Heavy Metals ie lead, mercury Concern?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Walter L

I’m curious if anyone has questioned manufacturers about heavy metal content in their dog foods? I’m noticing a trend in refrigerated and supposedly high end dog foods putting bone in the top 10 ingredients in their food and marketing it as a “natural” calcium source.

Looking back at the history of calcium supplementation for humans….bones used to be the norm until it was banned after discovering heavy metal accumulation that occurs in bones from livestock drinking less than ideal water sources.

If it was banned for humans…is it really a safe source for our pets? Maybe pets should be getting their calcium supplements from a purer calcium source such as calcium citrate like humans do?

What are your thoughts?

#36176 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You’d have to ask the manufacturer if they test the bone meal for heavy metals. I make my own raw and use Solger brand which is tested and human grade.

#38854 Report Abuse
    satobrinn
    Participant

Just when I thought I was doing the right thing! I use a company in ME that will pre-measure a variety of meats using the prey model, and they offer the option of raw meaty bones with each meal or a bone-in option. She isn’t a super gulper, but I’m still worried about her choking on a bone and thought I would switch to the bone-in option. This is an interesting point which leaves me wondering what I should do. I also use salmon oil and some say that too should be avoided. I would consider rotating oils, but I wouldn’t want to cut out salmon oil entirely.

#38858 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Satobrin: what company in Maine? (I’m in nh). I get ground meat from a company in PA.

#38873 Report Abuse
    satobrinn
    Participant

Hi – I was initially just looking for green tripe, and fell in love with ReelRaw (http://reelrawdog.com/), which has several different options for ordering raw food. I’m on the North Shore in MA. They recently relocated from Texas, lucky us!

#38876 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sato: THANK YOU! I cannot believe it is free shipping for me and I only have to order 30 pounds to get it, not 55 to get the best shipping!!

#38879 Report Abuse
    satobrinn
    Participant

I have nothing to compare it to but I’ve been really pleased with their service, and with how responsive they are to questions and concerns. They include rabbit and pork in the list of items for the premium pre-measured service, and my dog wouldn’t touch either of them – they suggested I swap those out for items that she likes, which I really appreciated. We have an order arriving today. If you try them you’ll have to let me know what you think as someone who has experience with another service.

#38882 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Oh, I’m ordering, next week. I love Hare Today but money IS an issue and free shipping and being able to order less is big,for me. My husband isn’t into prey model raw but he’s ok as long as it’s ground. I won’t do the pre measured, just ground with some added tripe and. Bones for dental health.

Is your shipping next day or two day? Is everything frozen when it arrives?

#38886 Report Abuse
    satobrinn
    Participant

They send you an email when the order is ready and it ships the next day (can take up to 2 weeks to prepare depending on the order). I initially ordered in bulk – ground with tripe as you plan on doing – and measured it out myself. I decided I’d see what the pre-measured is like, and I ended up really liking the variety and convenience….but with 3 dogs I would probably order in bulk! I started off with the combo and the tripe and she loved it! It’s all frozen when it arrives.

#38891 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You mean if I order today, it could be the end of the month before it ships? I have three dogs but only one is on raw full time.

#38893 Report Abuse
    satobrinn
    Participant

From their Shipping Info page (http://reelrawdog.com/pages/free-shipping):

HOW MANY DAYS NOTICE DO I NEED TO GIVE FOR NEW ORDERS?
    10 – 14 days for shipments. Depending on product availability it may take longer to fulfill orders.

#38913 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I missed that. I called & emailed but haven’t heard back. I emailed via the form on the site; is that how you contact them?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.