Greenies

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)
  • Author

pattymoore
    Participant

Are they safe?

GuinnessandI
    Participant

They can definitely be choking hazards if your dog isn’t big on chewing. I’ve heard stories of dogs who have tried to swallow them whole and ended up dying from it and I’ve heard that even if your dog does chew them as they should Greenies take a looong time to digest and can have intestinal blockage. Most of these stories though are mainly with small dogs, but I’m sure large dogs can suffer from it as well. The only time my dogs ever had Greenies is the one time we took them to a different vet, other than that I don’t buy them. My roommate’s dachshund however, ate 21 greenies one night when we went out and she found them on the desk. She didn’t get sick at all and passed them along quite “nicely” That’s just my experience with them really.

My greyhound rescue group advised against them. This is probably a digestion issue with greyhounds. I give Halo Pumpkin Chews and have recently discovered Odor free Bully Sticks – these are the only 2 “chews” I’ve found that don’t go right thru my dog.

jazzybinks
    Participant

Personally I have never and will never feed those treats.

Reason 1: They are made by Nutro, who makes multiple less than well dog food products that I would never feed.

Reason 2: They do not digest.

Reason 3: They cause intenstinal blocking

Reason 4: After 12 hours of giving your dog one they can still choke up large pieces still intact, because they do not digest

Reason 5: Greenies has paid for surgeries for some dogs, but still say their treats are safe.

Reason 6: The ingredients. You might as well let your dog eat flavored plastic.

janus69
    Participant

I am going to say something here that I feel I will have to repeat again and again and again. UNLESS YOU KNOW IT FOR FACT DON’T POST IT. UNLESS YOU RESAEARCHED IT AND CHECKED IF MYTH, AGAIN DON’T POST IT. No one needs opinion listed as fact or something a friend of a friend’s cousins mothers brother heard. In regards to Greenie, there is nothing indicating that they are anymore gangerous then any other unsupervised treat…

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/greenies.asp

GuinnessandI
    Participant

It’s not stories heard when people post up stories about how they lost their dogs to Greenies.

http://www.optimumchoices.com/Greenies.htm#Stories

BryanV21
    Participant

There’s nothing wrong with giving your opinion on something. This is not a forum for facts only. If people have personal stories, or have heard a story, then they should share it. The more information the better.

Most of the time, if you can’t tell if something’s fact or opinion, that’s your fault… not the posters.

pugmomsandy
    Participant

I used to give greenies. The dogs did not get the teeth cleaning benefit out of them. Ate them too fast. Now I just give them a real bone to chew and their teeth are clean. Marrow bones, rib bones, chicken feet, neck bones, split knuckles.

janus69
    Participant

Wrong Bryan. There is to much mis and disinformation spread around and it is dangerous. I do not want to trust the health and life of my pet to urban myths and wives tales.

janus69
    Participant

Chicken feet? Interesting I was wondering about that and ducks feet as well. Had always been told not to give a dog the bones of foul as they can splinter.

BryanV21
    Participant

Janus, the internet is full of misinformation and BS opinions. If you don’t like it then log off. Sorry you can’t separate fact from opinion, but it’s not other people’s jobs to cater to your wants and needs. Again… if you don’t like it then leave, because if there’s anything full of it here it’s your attitude.

janus69
    Participant

You know what Bryan, it is peoples job to post correct info. The whole purpose of this very site is correct info. The info in the forums must strive to be as correct as the review of food or the warnings of recalls or it all is for not.

And Guinessandi, as it states in the link I posted, there is NOT enough info, the examples you posted have no vet statement and in two show the treats were unsupervised. The same can occur with rawhides or nylabones if unsupervised.

BryanV21
    Participant

It’s people’s “job”? Seriously? I don’t recall receiving a paycheck from the internet, so it’s not my “job” to do anything. I offer my advice and opinion for free. Please let me know how to start getting paid for it, as I’d love to make a few more bucks.

If anybody has the responsibility for posting correct information, along with giving the most well-educated opinion as possible, it’s the person or persons that run Dog Food Advisor… not those that read and contribute to it’s comment section or forums.

janus69
    Participant

” I offer my advice and opinion for free” If it is incorrect it can be dangers if not fatal to ones pet and anything that is opinion should in fact be marked IMHO or some such to show it is NOT fact. The only person or persons with a responsability to post fact are those from DFA? What rock did you crawl out from under? The whole site is about the health and well being of ones pet. If you wish to kill or improperly care for your pet that is your option, to post it and encourage it here is inhumane and could be seen to boarder on criminal. If you feel DFA is the only ones that have to post fact and correct info then maybe they should appoint moderators to delete posts that do not do so.

Hound Dog Mom

janus69 – As long as poultry bones are raw they’re safe. Raw bones are safe, all cooked bones are dangerous (even bigger non-poultry bones).

janus69
    Participant

thanks hound dog mom

Hound Dog Mom

As for the qustion at hand of “Are Greenies Safe?” – I think they’re just as safe as any other chew. Obviously there’s always a risk of choking or intestinal blockage, but that’s with any chew type treat. My issue with them is not their safety but their ingredients. Very low quality, like feeding your doggie a candy bar. Stick with raw bones or natural chews (bully sticks, dried trachea, pig ears, etc.).

janus69
    Participant

Exactly HDM, although I am guilt of giving the dog the bone from the roast. He won’t eat pigs ears though for some reason. Love bulwinkles, freeze dried liver treats(non-chinese) and sweet potato treats as well as raw carrot, sweet potato, turnup, brocolli stems, tomatoe…

aimee

When Greenies were first marketed veterinarians saw cases of esophageal obstruction from the product. The obstructions proved difficult to resolve and had a higher complication rate than other types of obstructions. The product has since been reformulated to address that problem.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18380620

InkedMarie

It’s no one’s job to post correct info, its up to people to ask questions and then research the info they’ve been given. In regards to greenies, I prefer to err on the side of caution and not feed them. Bones are much better, imo.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.