Grandma Lucy's or The Honest Kitchen

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Grandma Lucy's or The Honest Kitchen

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    LexiDog

Which food is better: Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance line or The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free?

#73804 Report Abuse
    “Blue”

Blue says he likes them both. I like the way GLP rehydrates/mixes so he gets that mostly.

#73838 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Thanks! I am just trying to get some opinions on which one people think is better.

I have been feeding my girl raw for a while now but the cost is just getting to be a little too much. So, I need to cut back somewhere. I was thinking about doing raw in the morning and kibble in the evening and then I remembered GLP and THK! Both of the foods are good and I just couldn’t see which one is better.

Do you know what the broken corn flake looking things are in GLP? Are those the chickpeas? Or the chicken?

#73839 Report Abuse
    “Blue”

We currently have the Lamb version GLP and I would expect lamb to be a darker color than those chickpea colored flakes, so I’m betting they’re chickpea flakes. 🙂

Except for the few chunky solid pieces of meat always in the top of the bag, it is difficult to identify the meat in GLP. There are lots of chunks of compacted powdery spice and what must be meat powder, rather than solid meat chunks. I can’t identify any meat in THK, it is really a powder throughout.

They are both rated 5 Star. I prefer feeding GLP as I think it costs less. It’s been a while since I compared though.

#73861 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

I have used THK and been happy with it, but I have never used Grandma Lucy’s. I firmly believe that variety is the best for dogs, so I would recommend rotating between the two, and also within flavors of each brand. Here is some more information on diet rotation: /frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/

#73863 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Why just pick one when you can feed them both! Gives your dog a great variety and keeps the stomach strong and healthy when you feed different foods.

#73883 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’ve used more of THK so I probably prefer it. It’s human grade, a good food. GL is a good food, too. I’d feed both if I were you!

#73885 Report Abuse
    C4D

I use THK, Grandma Lucy’s and Sojos in rotation. I normally use the premix and add fresh cooked meat to them. I also occaisonally use the meat inclusive and will sometimes add fresh cooked meat or raw eggs to these to up the protein level. My dogs love them all. 🙂

#73927 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Thanks! I probably will rotate. I am just having a hard time picking one to start. Grrrrrr. Thanks again!

#76715 Report Abuse
    Linda H

I’ve used both. Both are excellent foods, IMO, although I think that HK gets higher ratings from DogFoodAdvisor…not sure exactly why.

Like “Blue,” I like the way that GL rehydrates better than HK…it may be because of the difference between the two: HK is a dehydrated food, GL is a freeze dried food.

#146553 Report Abuse
    Sara M

I would say none of the above. Easy Raw is the best, with their new recipes. Not only do they have dehydrated and freeze dried meat, but also organs now like liver and bone broth. Every recipe has at least 32 percent protein now and the price is far better than grain free honest kitchen or grandma Lucy’s. It has also got whole chunks of meat and whole chunks of superfoods, veggies and fruits….like pumpkin, kale and cranberries. Honest Kitchen is soup and so is Grandma Lucy’s. My dogs never cared for either. Easy Raw is the first and only freeze dried, dehydrated food I have been able to get them to eat.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.