🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Abby S

Does anyone know of a type of dog food that’s grain free but also doesn’t have sweet potato or pumpkin in it?

Thanks!

#57748 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I believe Nature’s Variety Instinct LID foods don’t have sweet potato or pumpkin. Canine Caviar has a few formulas that may fit the bill.

#57750 Report Abuse
    Christina E

Great Life and EVO

#57752 Report Abuse
    Abby S

Thanks much for the fast responses!! 🙂

#57772 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

“Wellness Simple” Salmon & Potato & Turkey & Potato grainfee

#57792 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Zignature, ZiwiPeak

#59952 Report Abuse
    Kayla

I currently use Pure Balance and they have grain free dog food! They have Bison and pea recipe and they also have salmon and pea recipe. It’s sold at Walmart and not too expensive either. I am not sure if Salmon and pea recipe is sweet potato free and pumpkin free… I am pretty sure it doesn’t have any of that in it by looking at it. However, I know for a fact that the Bison and Pea Grain free doesn’t have it in it because I am currently using that for my pup and he loves it!

#60967 Report Abuse
    karren w

Abby did you try any and have they worked?

#61253 Report Abuse
    stephanie b

I’m having same problems with finding a dry kibble being sweet potato, pea, and barley free for my Bostons as well. I’ve looked into Canine Caviar however garlic is a big ingredient….. If I’m not mistaken isn’t garlic dangerous to dogs?

#61258 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Unfortunately, my dog with food intolerances reacts to the garlic in Canine Caviar. I feed it to him several times before he reacted. If it weren’t for that, it would be a regular part of my rotation. I’ve always liked it and feel it’s a great product.

#62010 Report Abuse
    Abby S

@Karren W. I posted this question for a friend. I am pretty sure she tried the EVO brand and things are going well.

Thanks again for all your help!!! 🙂

#62045 Report Abuse
    karren w

Hi thanks they don’t sell it in UK . I have taken Roxy to the vet again today as her fur is falling out on her head and her body is itching and she is licking her feet all the time .I am so mad with the vet she was so nasty to us and has told us to give her hills zd I have looked on line and its got chicken and potato in l she can’t have chicken or potato rice sweat potato . am just at my wits end today has yor friend tryed this !

#62127 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Karen, have you looked at the “Royal Canine Sensitivity Control” its just Duck & Tapioca, in Australia it might be different in the UK.. I’m about to try it as my boy cant have potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, but Im worried as the Tapioca has starch like Potatoes…
    Have you tried “K9 Natural” freeze Dried the Venison Feast there’s No Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, rice or chicken this was invented for dogs with skin problems…Have you done an elimination diet to find out that she can’t eat potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, rice, chicken…
    my boy cant have boiled rice but he can eat the grounded rice in kibbles…

#62129 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Karren,

I’m curious, how is your dog’s weight? She’s shedding excessively on top of her head you said, what about the rest of her coat?

You mentioned that she had been to the vet recently, by chance, did the vet check her thyroid?

#62140 Report Abuse
    karren w

Hi she is a good weight 25kg her fur is good on her body just on her head is looking patchy and boild bitz.they did check her throid .the vet was very rude and said we should put her on hills zd as its the only hoilistic food out there .she has put her on prednicare one ever other day .and to said to get hills zd food .i am worried it her worse as its the carbs and chicken that .make her bad and the starch nightmare .i will have a look for the food you said and hope they sell it over here .good luck youself with your boy .and please let me know how you get on .

#62141 Report Abuse
    karren w

I ment they didnt check her throid but when we go to the vet again i will .make sure its not the same one we saw yesterday.

#62142 Report Abuse
    karren w

Yes she carnt eat potato sweet potato rice chicken wheat .its a night mare as the dont sell any food over in the uk with out any of these in .she has been on orijen six cish for 5 weeks now and carnt stop itching and licking het paws till they are raw and her ears are going yeasty and bum thats why i took her to the vets yesterday .i am just at my wits end

#62144 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Karen, have you tried “Burgess Sensitive adult Hypoallergenic kibble” its made in the UK..I know it has rice but its grounded, my boy can eat grounded rice but not boiled rice cause of his IBD.. apparently the Burgess is very good for dogs with skin problems & IBD…. I know ur girl doesn’t have IBD but its for both health problems.. I wish I could get it here in Austraila, it just has 3 ingredients, 1 protein 1 carb & unmolassed beet pulp..

#62997 Report Abuse
    Eldee
    Participant

Royal Canine veterinary formula with chicken feathers as the source of protein. Sounds crazy I know, however it is simply meant as a starting point to see what your dog is sensitive to. Once you have transitioned to it and your dog is doing better you can start adding other things and see if your dog reacts. This particular food is just a starting point food I think the ZD is as well . The food is hydrolyzed so it is simply stripped down to a single protein source and then you add back things to find out what your dog is sensitive too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.