🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

I was making up some meals for Bentley last night, and remembered I had a ton of beef tracheas in the spare bedroom (where I keep all my dog food, cat litter, treats, supplements, etc) so I pulled out the open bag with 5 pieces in it, and stuffed them with smelt, ground beef, and beef heart.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/BFA7C9FE-0F3A-4837-BE3B-00B8BA705AA0_zpspjjcylps.jpg

I’ll have to post pics of how they go over when he gets one. They’re randomly mixed in with his other meals in the freezer lol

#67251 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Yum????

#67252 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Hahaha, totally yum! Beef his is favorite :p And LOVES noming on tracheas. He even growls at mom if he think she’s going to take them from him. They didn’t like eachother much, that day… LOL

#67253 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

My first thought when I saw the pics was “sushi” lol. πŸ™‚

#67254 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Doggy sushi LOL I should totally market these…. :p

#67257 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

You totally should… πŸ˜›

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #67264 Report Abuse
    Dori

Atari there was a recall recently on tracheas. Hopefully you’re not using any from the company with the recall. Pet International Beef Trachea Treats recalled on 2/15/15.

Clever idea, by the way! πŸ™‚

#67312 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks Dori. These are unbranded, from PetFlow. Don’t know who makes them. So far he hasn’t had any issues with them (he’s eaten two plain).

#67384 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Bentley is having a great time eating his stuffed beef trachea! He’s been working on it for about 15 minutes or so, and he’s still only about 3/4 of the way through with it.

Here’s a pic of when I first gave it do him:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/69C76A7C-51D6-4B87-AAF2-9C3E6001FBDD_zpsbivfafii.jpg

#67387 Report Abuse
    Dori

That is so great Akari. Have you tried it with Ginger or are her teeth not up to it! Bentley really seems to be enjoying life right now.

#67390 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

She’s not got a very strong urge to chew, so I don’t think she would eat a trachea, much less be able to actually chew it. I bought her some Halo dental chews and she can’t eat them very well because they are so hard (they last her days, and that’s with Bentley stealing them every chance he gets). She can chew the small/toy sized Denta Sticks, and I’m just at a point where if anything will help her mouth (like her joints and stomach), I give it to her. I’m at that “if it broke…” Sort of point with her… LOL

#67392 Report Abuse
    Dori

Yep Akari! I totally understand where you’re coming from. I hope when Ginger has her dental done she doesn’t have to have too many teeth extracted but hopefully she’ll be more comfortable and I know you’ll be fine with her feeding her soft foods. I wanted to say once again what a clever idea you had stuffing the trachea as if they were kong toys. Genius!!!!!!

It would never have occurred to me. I’ve told friends and family members about your idea and they are going to try it also. Makes such sense. Better than chewing on a rubber toy. They get the benefits of not only the stuffing but the trachea too! πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Dori.
    #67398 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

She very quickly loses interest in anything that doesn’t giver her immediate satisfaction LOL I’m pretty sure thats why she doesn’t like the Halo chews– because they’re too hard for her to chew, and she doesn’t get anywhere with them, so she gives up. The Denta Sticks are soft enough that she can eat them in a minute or so. I hope that once her teeth are dealt with, she’ll feel better. Just waiting on mom to have her half of the money for it.

I don’t know where I got the idea for it! But trachea is really high in glucosamine and stuff, and best of all, its not a bone, so no hard bone-poops LOL It fits in nicely with the raw meals I already have balanced out in the freezer :p

#67401 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Aklari, OMG, such an amazing idea! I was looking for things to stuff tripe in and this will work great as I also have a few tracheas (not from the recalled ones), but I just need to figure out how to cut them in half cause they are huge 6-inchers, and too big for Bruno. But they are so hard, I feel like I need a hatchet! LoL.

#67403 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Do you have kitchen sheers? I use mine for everything… lol

These one range from 4-6 inches, and Bentley doesn’t care at all. He goes for!

#67405 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Ahh, we don’t, unfortunately… I will see what else I could use though… Thanks for the idea!

And Bruno wouldn’t care either, but if he ate 6 inches of a wide trachea, even if not stuffed with anything, it would give him jelly stool, lol. So I need to shorten them.

#67409 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

A good kitchen knife may be able to do it.

Thankfully not many things upset Bentleys stomach. He does eat a lot of questionabls things on walks, so I’m sure that contributes to his iron stomach LOL

#67591 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Akari, that’s great that Bentley’s tummy is made of iron! πŸ™‚

I will try the knife tomorrow… Or in a few minutes, lol.

Here is something I thought you may be interested in: http://www.bestbullysticks.com/3-inch-trachea-dog-chews-50-pack Pretty affordable, eh? It will make for many special meals for Bentley and/or Haley and Dweezle if you still feed them a raw meal replacement/month like you used to. πŸ™‚ I may get these for Bruno.

#67594 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Holy cheap!!! The bags I have were going for $15 each on PetFlow (5-7 in a bag). I grabbed them on sale for a few cents, each, however.

Haley and Dweezle prefer bones they actually have to work on. Tracheas would be too boring. They’d chomp them down and then come back for more! LOL I’ll have to remember that website next I want to buy them though. Bentley really loved the stuffed one I gave him the other day. After he finished with it, he passed out for a few hours! Wore him right out, which is seriously saying something lol

#67604 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Nice! Well, maybe these will work for you then! Even if Haley and Dweezle don’t have them. Seems like Bentley would enjoy them quite a bit! πŸ™‚

And I tried cutting mine with the best knife we own, no way no how, it is way too hard for knives I think. And since we don’t have kitchen scissors, I will just have to give them to Bruno like that and watch when he gets to about half of it and take it away. The second halves I will stuff like you for Bruno’s RMB/raw meal replacement/week too, I think it is a great idea! πŸ™‚ If that goes well and BBS still has the 50-piece on sale, I will probably get it too. πŸ™‚

#67608 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Have you given him any yet? How quickly does he eat one? Bentley eats a plain one in just a few minutes…. lol

#67617 Report Abuse
    Naturella

He’s had them before, but I don’t remember how long it took him. I just don’t want him to eat a whole one in one sitting calorie-wise. So I will let him eat half and take it. I will time him next time, but I’m hoping for a good 5-min at least.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.