FYI – Milk Bone Minis vs a larger size

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats FYI – Milk Bone Minis vs a larger size

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Linda
    Participant

I have an undersized toy poodle. She was underweight and sluggish and a poor eater when I brought her home. She has thrived on Hill’s ID canned food, occasional kibble added, and Milk Bones Mini treats. At one point I was unable to find the Minis, and switched to the next larger size… I believe Small. She developed very severe constipation. When the vet took an X-ray after nothing we tried seemed to cure this, we could see a compacted, granular substance in her colon. It suddenly dawned on me that this must be the larger size of Milk Bones, which are more dense than the Minis. When I switched back to Minis again, all signs of constipation disappeared. I am posting this in case anyone else has or may have this situation in the future. In toy dogs there’s not a lot of margin for error!

#26322 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I don’t think there are too many people here that feed their dogs milk bones, but thanks for the warning…

#26324 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Cyndi is correct, I doubt many here feed Milk Bones

#26334 Report Abuse

are milk bones bad? when i take my puppy to play with my friends older dog he always gives my little guy milk bones. Also Cyndi and Marie can you look at the treats i posted in the treats section. I want to see what you guys think of the ingredients and what not. Thank you 😀

#26335 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If you are someone who pays attention to what your dog eats for food, you should pay the same attention to treats, especially if your dog has issues. I have one dog who can have Milk Bones but I don’t give them. Heck, mine eat The Honest Kitchen treats. Talk about spoiled!

#26338 Report Abuse

Im very weary of the food and the treats i give my little guy. I just bought some of the THK beams and he absolutely loves them. Only problem is that his stools are somewhat softer again. Could it be cuz the beams have 88% protein? i know that the NV Rabbit im feeding him now is too rich in protein and was causing him to have loose stools. I have since then been mixing dr tims and the rabbit and his stools were a lot more firm.

#26346 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I’ve just been going by what people on here feed their dogs for treats. I buy Vital Essentials Freeze dried Niblets that I use for treats & I also have a bag of Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Treats. I also make my own Turkey or Chicken little meatball treats that my dog loves. Ever since I switched my dog to a raw diet, 5 months ago, I don’t buy any of those crappy treats anymore. Some of those Purina or Del Monte treats are made with chemicals and poison, I’ve read, just like their dog “foods”.

http://goodnessgracioustreats.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/where’s-the-beef/

#26347 Report Abuse

The treat i mentioned in the other post is a raw dehydrated treat. Only 1 protein source and no fillers.I want to transition my guy into raw foods once he gets above 9 months

#26349 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Those treats sound ok to me, but I’m not one of the “experts” on here. I do like you do, ask questions and do what I’m told, lol! I find it a lot easier that way. Your puppy is adorable, by the way. I’ve always loved boxers. Boxers and bloodhounds are the absolute most adorable when they’re puppies. I came out of a store one time and some guy had a boxer puppy in the front seat of his car, no more than like 9 or 10 weeks old. I stood and waited til he came out, it was only like 2 minutes, and told him he had to let me hold his puppy, lol! I could not resist. I would have stood there for an hour, if I had to. That puppy was just the cutest damn thing ever!

#26351 Report Abuse
    Linda
    Participant

I do stand corrected . Thank you.

#26354 Report Abuse

Yeah I absolutely love boxers. Duke is so amazing and friendly. Almost every person stops at the pet store to see him. He is such a ladies boy. It’s been like 5 years since my other dog passed away and I forgot how amazing dogs can make you feel. That’s why I care and worry so much about him. I want him to be with me as long as possible.

#26360 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have Beams & Wishes here too! Gemma has no teeth, takes her forever to gum them, lol

#26368 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Beams are one of the few “chews” I give my 3 dogs. I really like them.

#26370 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

My dogs eat anything but they love beams & wishes. I’m having a hard time with Boone, ear infections over & over so it’s just Zeal & those chews for him

#28385 Report Abuse
    Rahat

My dogs also loves to chews beams. Beams are really good for chewing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.