Fromm substitute

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Fromm substitute

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Mike G

Since Fromm is not allowing Chewy’s to carry their food any longer, I’m looking for a replacement food for my adult Labrador Retriever. I’m a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

Chewy’s is offering 50% off my next three order, and I want to take advantage of the money savings.

I’ve been Feeding Fromm Gold Holistic for Large Breeds. I would appreciate any recommendations. I like to feed my dogs 4 or 5 Starr food.

Thanks

#103215 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Mike-

Take a look at Dr. Tims Kinesis or Precise Holistic Complete Large & Giant Breed Adult.

#103226 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi
    Gee 50% for the next 3 orders that’s excellent, you’ll be able to get a few different brands & rotate, always rotate between a few different brands with different proteins & ingredients, see which brands your dog does really well on then keep these brands in your rotation…..

Have a look at “Canidae” they also make “Under The Sun” a cheaper brand, there’s a Large Breed formula page 1…..
    Look at the Canidae, All Life Stages formula, Multi-Protein, Chicken, Turkey Lamb & Fish meals formula….. it’s very similar to the Fromm Gold he’s eating at the moment, I think Canidae All Life Stages is a better formula, it has chicken meal, turkey meal lamb meal as 1st 2nd 3rd ingredients then brown rice & has more Kcals per cup, so your dog won’t need to eat as much…
    There’s also 2 Canidae All Life Stages large breed formula’s as well,
    Canidae kibbles size are nice & small, so easy to digest if you have a gulper… page 4 & 5 have the All Life Stages formula’s.
    https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products

#103228 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If your dog has been doing well on Fromm I wouldn’t switch foods just because of a discount, it may not be worth it in the long run.
    Have you tried PetFlow? https://www.petflow.com/fromm
    I get Zignature from Chewy, it’s an excellent kibble. However they haven’t decided whether they will cut ties with Chewy or not. Anyway, I may decide to purchase Zignature from a local pet supply store that carries it from now on.
    They offer rewards and specials, so at the end of the day the price is about the same.
    PS: I’m not sure that the quality of service and reasonable prices, etc, will stay the same now that they are owned by PetSmart.

#103229 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hello:
    For anyone concerned with the Chewy PETsMART merger I thought I would share my experiences with them. I have ordered from PETsMART online regularly for several years without issue; I don’t have a store near me. IMO I don’t feel there will be any issues with the merger and still plan to order from both Chewy and PETsMART as I do now. I also feel PETsMART is not going to drastically change what has proven to be a successful business model. If Chewy is going to continue to carry the foods you feed I would give them a try, I intend to do just that. 🙂

#103230 Report Abuse
    amy r

I am in the same boat we have been using fromm large breed puppy and now use the lb adult I can not find a food I like better. I did however find it on pet flow and am having it delivered. I have also called a few local small pet stores that carry fromm although they did not have lb in stock both were more than happy to order it for me! So definitely shop around and try pet flow so far it is ok they don’t have as much to choose from and I definitely like chewy web site better but willing to stick with it of it means not changing her food.

#103231 Report Abuse
    amy r

There are already many issues with the pet smart chewy buy out. Many foods have pulled business dealings with chewy due to pet smarts involvement fromm is only 1 of them. Tuffys pet food has also ended all buisness with chewy as well as well as champion. I think if it works for you great but honestly I choose not not to support pet smart or chewy anymore. I have pulled most of my business at this point and am looking to find other suitable places to shop.

#103232 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I agree, you should do what you feel is best for you and your furries. Different experiences/opinions are good to share on the forum! 😉

#103240 Report Abuse
    a c

I haven’t try Fromm. My 14 weeks old puppy is currently on Orijen puppy. How does Fromm compares to Orijen?

#103248 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

To all-

If you can purchase from a local independant pet store, please do. Most of these (like the one I work for) are family run and having a hard time staying in business or keeping up with business because of online shopping. As Amy R said, most stores if not all are going to be happy to order anything for you that they may not stock in the store.

#103255 Report Abuse
    anonymous

http://prime.peta.org/2017/05/buyer-beware-chewy-com-purchased-petsmart
    Excerpts below (out of context), click on link for full article.

So what’s a concerned animal guardian to do? Research! Some online retailers, such as 1800PetSupplies.com and PetFlow are not affiliated with or owned by animal-abusing companies. Target and some other brick-and-mortar stores sell supplies but not live animals. You can also investigate local “mom-and-pop” stores in your community that don’t sell animals—they are usually happy to special-order products for you.

Online animal-supply retailers might seem like a good alternative, but buyer beware: Many are owned by companies that support the cruel pet trade. Recently, it was reported that Chewy.com has been purchased by PetSmart—so buying products from Chewy now means lining the pockets of companies that are responsible for tremendous systemic cruelty to small animals. Many other online animal-supply stores—including OnlyNaturalPet.com, Pet360.com, PetFoodDirect.com, and Doctors Foster and Smith—are also owned by companies that profit from peddling live animals.

#103258 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Regarding the recent changes:
    http://prime.peta.org/2017/05/buyer-beware-chewy-com-purchased-petsmart
    Excerpts below (out of context), click on link for full article.

So what’s a concerned animal guardian to do? Research! Some online retailers, such as 1800PetSupplies.com and PetFlow are not affiliated with or owned by animal-abusing companies. Target and some other brick-and-mortar stores sell supplies but not live animals. You can also investigate local “mom-and-pop” stores in your community that don’t sell animals—they are usually happy to special-order products for you.

Online animal-supply retailers might seem like a good alternative, but buyer beware: Many are owned by companies that support the cruel pet trade. Recently, it was reported that Chewy.com has been purchased by PetSmart—so buying products from Chewy now means lining the pockets of companies that are responsible for tremendous systemic cruelty to small animals. Many other online animal-supply stores—including OnlyNaturalPet.com, Pet360.com, PetFoodDirect.com, and Doctors Foster and Smith—are also owned by companies that profit from peddling live animals.

#103259 Report Abuse
    Mike G

Thanks for the recommendations. I’m going to try Dr. Tim’s Kinesis to take advantage of the good discount offer that I have for the next three bags.

I prefer to buy my pet food locally from an independent store, but on several occasions I have ended getting home with expired or nearly expired food. I’ve never had that problem ordering Online.

I’m sorry the discussion got away from my request for food recommendations.

#103260 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I am finding it easier to buy from a local pet supply store.
    Never had any problems with chewy, but……

#103261 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Anon, what’re you convinced about?

#103262 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I would prefer to buy dog food from a company that does not sell live animals (birds, rodents, fish, reptiles). See Peta link.
    That’s all.

#103266 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Makes sense. I wonder when The Honest Kitchen ends their business with Chewy: they only use stores that don’t sell animals (this was a very long time ago; I assume they haven’t changed).

#103267 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

I’m confused… chewy.com sells supplies for fish, reptiles, bunnies etc, they don’t sell live animals.

Also I have no idea about Honest Kitchen not selling to supply shops that sell live animals. We carry Honest Kitchen at my job and also sell live exotic animals.

#103269 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

PitLuv: maybe I’m wrong….maybe it is/was selling dogs & cats…or just dogs. It was a long time ago so things may have changed.

Chewy doesnt sell animals but PetSmart does.

#103272 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Yeah maybe. We haven’t sold puppies in 6 years and didn’t carry Honest Kitchen at that time.

You’re probably right that Anon was referring to PetSmart.

#103274 Report Abuse
    anonymous

By supporting Chewy, you are supporting PetSmart (see Peta link, previous post). Something to think about. I imagine most people won’t, so Chewy/Petsmart will continue to be popular and do well.
    I have noted that the price on the tick collar I buy has gone up a little already, so don’t expect everything to stay the same.

#103276 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Regarding the price change you saw. Chewy pre-PetSmart buyout was notorious for not adhering to MSRP. Some companies like Champion were extremely strict with them about it, others didn’t notice. Zignature was one that my boss and I caught being sold well under MSRP and alerted Zignature about. PetSmart might be going through now and making sure all products sold are at MSRP.

#103281 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Good point Anon.

#103282 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I have mixed feelings about PetSmart and Petco, according to their websites they also sponsor animal charities/adoption events/rescue groups.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by anonymous.
    #103284 Report Abuse
    Kim S

My dog really likes the new oven-baked food from Pinto Canyon at PintoCanyon.com. They’ll match any discount at chewy like 20% off first autoship, free shipping (always) etc. Even their vitamins and minerals are from the US (which many companies are hiding when they say “no ingredients from the US” because vitamins and minerals aren’t “ingredients”). Very high quality and my dog especially loves the fish one, but he likes the chicken too and it’s less so I rotate those.

#103291 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Yes Anon, they do. I worked for Petco, so I don’t personally have a problem with them other than the fact that I don’t find the majority of their staff to be very knowledgable and folks often go home with a pet they don’t know how to care for or a food that is not right for their pet etc.

#103324 Report Abuse
    Teagsmom

I was feeding my dog Acana for years and Chewy will no longer be selling it. Perfect timing bc I was in the process of looking for a new food with smaller pieces of kibble. We went with Natures Variety Instinct Raw Boost (kibble w pieces of freeze dried raw). If Fromm works for your dog, I wouldn’t change just to get a discount. Buy some Primal raw dehydrated to use as a topper or try another topper.
    The prices at my local dog store are the same as Chewy and they solely carry high end foods. I’ll be supporting them once I use my 3 purchases from Chewy. I had 2 foods in my cart and it gave me 50% off of both. Nice surprise.

#103389 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Here is some info from Petfood Industry on the buy out:
    http://www.petfoodindustry.com/blogs/7-adventures-in-pet-food/post/6567-how-petsmart-chewy-deal-is-affecting-pet-food-retailing

I just find it interesting that I could find all of the brands that are pulling from Chewy being sold on Amazon?

Here is a little tidbit on PetSmart:
    http://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/6540-american-nutrition-to-produce-petsmart-charity-pet-food

Like mentioned above, everyone needs to do what they feel best. They all have their pros and cons. So many small companies are getting bought up by big ones these days. It’s hard to keep up!

#103761 Report Abuse
    Avia M R

Champion (Orijen & Acana) has stated that Amazon is not an authorized dealer, but they have little control over sellers on Amazon, so it is a buyer beware situation. I imagine the same applies to at least some of the other companies leaving Chewy.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.