Freshpet Select?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Freshpet Select?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Seany711

Has anyone here tried Freshpet Select Chunky Beef, Vegetable & Rice Dog Food Recipe? My dog Baxter, LOVES the Chickedn & Rice forumula; I was just wondering what your dogs think of the beef formula.

#37377 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

My dogs love the beef flavor of Freshpet Select as well as the chicken flavor. ‘Course they love pretty much any kind of fresh food!

#37381 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I’ve not tried that brand. I’d assume it would be fine, as most dogs aren’t too picky about the protein flavor. It’d be good it alternate between the two as well!

#42661 Report Abuse
    KD

I was considering moving my dog to freshpet vitals. She is a very picky eater. Tried multiple dry and canned foods, as well as freeze dried like Grandma Lucy’s. Some things she’ll eat for awhile, although only small amounts, and eventually turns her nose at them. Others not at all. I’m desperate for a high quality food that she will eat consistently. This looked great until I saw the use of carrageenan. It is a controversial food additive used in a variety of both human and pet foods that acts as an emulsifier and thickening agent. It has been linked to serious illnesses in some research, often attributed to its inflammatory properties. It’s a hotly contested topic, and I don’t know enough to say whether it is safe or not. Does anyone have any opinion on this? It’s looks like a great product and certainly more appetizing for my pup, so I’d love to use it if safe.

#42664 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Seany711-
    Yes, it have fed the chunky beef and vegetable Fresh Pet to my dogs. I have two 80lb labs, so I have just used as a topper on their Victor kibble. They love it and I think it looks nice and fresh to go with their processed kibble. And best of all, no cans to have to rinse and recycle. As for the carrageenan, I don’t know much about it. But, that is why I like to rotate kibble and switch up the toppers. It seems everything has something controversial. I don’t want to feed the same thing day after day. Good luck.

#42668 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Cjenius:
    I have fed Freshpet Select to my dog; he loved it and did well on it. It was before I began researching pet food; however I would feed it again without hesitation.

I looked into carrageenan and I agree it is controversial. It is a questionable ingredient in my mind especially since the European food market has restricted its uses in human foods.

Since it is a common ingredient in our pet food I do pay attention to the foods I feed that contains it and I take this into consideration for my rotation schedule. If any of my pets had digestive issues I might consider feeding foods that don’t contain it, but I am not too concerned about feeding food with carrageenan on a rotational basis at this time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.