🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sarah H

My 4 month old shih-tzu puppy has been eating Wellness Puppy (wet and dry) but I think she is getting tired of it. Instead of switching to another canned food, I was thinking of trying Fresh Pet. It seems to have good reviews. I see they make a Fresh Pet Select Puppy food that is sold in supermarkets (have to check to make sure they actually have it in mine) but that Petsmart where we usually buy our food only has one called Vital which says it is an adult dog food (although the instructions say you can give to puppies too). Any feedback on these?

#83724 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Does not matter what the front of the package says. As long as the AAFCO statement on the back says “all life stages” (which both do) it can be fed to a small breed puppy.

#83731 Report Abuse
    Sarah H

OK thanks for the reply. Does anyone have any feedback on Fresh Pet (any variety)?

#83733 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I’ve only used Vital. It is like crack for dogs. Beware 🙂

#83740 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

I have used Freshpet Selects in the past. My issues with them is the longevity and some of their ingredients.

The Freshpet select and vital has carrageenan which I am not a big fan if you plan to feed this food for years. Here and there is not too big of a deal.

The other issue I had with this food is that never seemed to last long in my fridge. It was hard to rotate this bag with my dog with other food since as soon as I opened it, it spoiled within 7 days. Since you have a small dog I would start with the small 1lb bag to test out how long this food lasts.

But the food does taste delicious. I tasted it too. The chicken tasted and smelled like a roast Chicken dinner with a hint of salt. My pup loved it.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Cannoli.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Cannoli.
    #83743 Report Abuse
    Sarah H

I was thinking of the loaf or those single serving containers. She seems to still like the Wellness kibble, so I will stick with that as well for now. She is just bored with the canned food.

#83744 Report Abuse
    Cannoli

If your dog is bored give her some freshpet from the single serving. It will spice up her life. Or better yet start cooking for her…You can get crazy with all the crazy protein ingredient combos that you can do. Just read up on how to prepare home cooked meals so that you are doing it correctly

#83862 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Don’t worry about spoilage, you can keep it in the freezer and take out a few days worth to keep in the fridge. Even frozen you can shake out small chunks from the bag and they’ll thaw quickly. Cut the loaf into meal-sized slices and freeze in a ziplock bag. My guy likes it but doesn’t go thru it in 7 days so freezing works for us.
    You may want to consider feeding a rotation diet, lots of benefits to it including your girl not getting bored with her meals. Enjoy your pup!

#83874 Report Abuse
    Sarah H

Well I got the Vital at Petsmart. They did not have the single serving tubs so I got the logs. She LOOOOVED it so much! Doggie crack is right! I mixed it with the Wellness and she managed to pick out all the chunks of Freshpet and leave the Wellness LOL. I had intended on doing the rotation diet but I think she likes this food so much it won’t be necessary. I guess I will rotate between the different flavors, the Grain free and the regular. My only concern now is that she will get chubby because she is eating about three times as much as she has been in the past! I am feeding her the recommended amount, it’s just that she was barely eating her other food the past few weeks! I just fed her and the bowl was literally licked clean within 2 minutes, whereas with the canned Wellness I was throwing most of it out. I was lucky if I could get her to eat one serving a day. She is so happy. She thinks she went to doggy heaven..

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Sarah H.
    #84954 Report Abuse
    Sarah H

Hello all. I have been feeding my puppy the Fresh Pet rolls for a few weeks now and she absolutely loves the food! I had been mainly giving her the Fresh Pet Vital (both grain free and regular varieties) and occasionally buying a roll of Fresh Pet Select at the supermarket when I didn’t have time to get to Petsmart. Last week, Petsmart had an issue with their fridge and didn’t have any rolls, so I had to go to the supermarket. I really see no difference between the Vital and the Select and I just checked out the ratings here on Dog Food Advisor and I see that Fresh Pet Select has 5 stars while the Vital (regular and grain free) have only 4 stars! Is the Select a better food? Opinions?

#85157 Report Abuse
    MyFavorite F

Does anyone here use FreshPet regularly? I’m looking to hear from people who regularly feed their pets FreshPet — if so, can you please help me out by filling out this survey for a chance to participate in a small closed online dog community. We want to talk to owners about their dog and their dog’s needs for a chance to earn free pet products!

https://rmrsurveys.com/projects/t1603100

Thanks for your help!

My dog LOVES FreshPet foods, I’ve used both vital and select (she does back flips when I take out the food.) I don’t feed it to her regularly only as an occasional treat she doesn’t seem to have a preference between the two and both seem to have good nutrition.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.