šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    michael s

I’ve read that freeze-dried liver is the best for training. However, I purchased a couple of bags, and reading the backside of the package I find only 4-6 per day are suggested for large dogs (let alone a pup in training). Is it the high amount of protein that is one concern? Please advise …

TIA 😬

#80087 Report Abuse
    George B

We have a new pup coming Tuesday and are going to use it but only for potty training initially. They really like it so we will limit it to very small bits. You can cut up the larger blocks with a small sharp knife into pieces as small as you like. I cut one up yesterday into 12 very small pieces. Our pup only weighs 2.5 lb and will be 6 lb full grown. Hope this helps.

#80089 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I have never used food/treats for housebreaking. Just carry or walk the dog outside to the desired location you would like him to eliminate at, every 2 hours during the day, at bedtime and first thing in the morning, about 30 minutes after meals. May take a month or two, but it works like a charm.

Remember, a puppy is like an infant, they will have accidents.

Why not just broil up a little chicken liver and freeze it…it would be a lot cheaper.

BTW: All organ meats are high in fat. I give them as an occasional topper, maybe once a week (twice at the most). Too fatty for every day consumption, imo.

#80093 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Never mind/edit

#80094 Report Abuse
    anonymously

To the best of my knowledge, the odd comment made in response to my comment, was not made by a moderator here at DFA.

#80096 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi micheal s:
    I suggest contacting the company and ask them specific questions about their product.

My guess is, unless your dog has a health issue, protein is not the reason for the recommended feeding guidelines. When feeding treats you are adding extra calories and risk unbalancing their diet. Treats should not exceed 10% of your dog’s daily calories. At least that would be my concern with feeding treats or other unbalanced extras regardless of age. Here’s a little more info:
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/local_resources/pdfs/Treats_guidelines.pdf

#80097 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Michael S,

it’s been a while since you posted, but these links might help. Generally organ meat, even in raw feeding, should be no more than 10 % of the total diet and liver only 5%. I find it’s a bit too rich to use alone, so I often mix with lung and fresh cooked muscle meat. I have large dogs, Labs, and tend to keep the treats slightly bigger than a pea. It’s easy to nibble, get back quickly to training, and keeps them interested in more since they don’t get full.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-organ-meat-is-important-for-the-raw-fed-dog/

http://dogaware.com/diet/treats.html

George B,

I generally don’t treat for potty breaks, but you could apply the above information if you use treats. And treats, even good ones, shouldn’t be more than 10% of the total diet. I foster and find that crate training is very effective in potty training, especially in the beginning. Good luck with your pup!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by C4D.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.