Foods Confirmed BHA/BHT/Ethoxyquin-free?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Foods Confirmed BHA/BHT/Ethoxyquin-free?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    deja

We have a dog recently diagnosed with epilepsy and I’m on the search for a new food because I suspect the one she’s on now contains these preservatives (a prescription Science Diet food). I’ve been finding it very difficult to find definitive information on whether foods use BHA/BHT/Ethoxyquin. I figured people on this website might have more experience/information.

Do you know of dog foods that the company has stated do not contain BHA, BHT, or Ethoxyquin? Either on their websites or through response to email inquiries.

Personally I’m also looking for non-raw food that does not contain rosemary (not easy to find!), and is also not too high in fat (less than 17% preferably). But I think I can narrow those down myself more easily, so I’m mostly looking for help with the preservatives. So far Life’s Abundance is the only one I’ve found that also meets my other requirements. Natural Balance says no BHA/BHT/ethoxyquin as well on their rolled food and some treats, but I can’t find comments on any of their other food.

#67826 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi deja:
    Take a look at Precise, Annamaet, and VeRUS for rosemary free kibbles.

#67878 Report Abuse
    deja

Thanks for the suggestions Bobby_dog, I’ll check those out.

#68038 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi again deja:
    Although I recommended the above foods because some or all may not have rosemary in their recipes, I just read this statement on Precise’ website, “Natural Antioxidants
    Vitamin C and E. Natural preservatives: never BHA, BHT or ethoxyquin. Protects food and assures freshness. Helps keep fat from becoming rancid.” I would still inquire further since you are addressing a health issue, but it’s a start.

http://precisepet.com/dog-formulas/precise-holistic-complete-grain-free/dry/

#68128 Report Abuse
    deja

Ooh, thanks for letting me know. Looking at their website, it appears that some formulas have rosemary and some do not. I don’t know that rosemary will trigger her, but I’d rather err on the side of caution.

Narrowing foods down by BHA/etc-free or not seems to be my best bet, since the ingredients and fat content seem to vary by recipe, and those aren’t all listed on this site.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.