Food recommendation for Westie Puppy

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Food recommendation for Westie Puppy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marta J

Hi All, New to the forum and I’m so glad I found it. We are getting a Westie Puppy in a few weeks and I’d like to transition him to a better quality dog food. The breeder we are getting the puppy from is feeding him a lower quality food (I can’t remember the exact name but it’s one of the big box companies). I’ve read enough to know that I won’t be feeding him Blue Buffalo (seeing some negative reviews).
    Any opinions on Orijen or Now Fresh brands?
    I’ve read that there are some positive reviews for Wellness core small breed.
    I’d like to stick with grain free & price isn’t an issue. I’m in Canada and I’m sure I have access to same brands as the US.
    Thank you 🙂

#58138 Report Abuse
    Marta J

Wellness Core, Orijen and Now Fresh are all 5 star… perhaps good idea to rotate those ones and transition him every few months?

#58140 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Sounds like a great plan! My one main recommendation is to keep him on the food the breeder is feeding him for at least a week (this is because dogs can be stressed when they first come home), and then slowly transition him to the new food. Also, make sure the specific formula you are feeding says “puppy” or “all life stages” on it.

#58160 Report Abuse
    Marta J

Thanks for the feedback and tips 🙂 Excited to get the little guy in a week!

#58165 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Im using Wellness CORE Small Breed for my dachshund and I’m very happy with it. I don’t think it’s for puppies, though. I don’t think any Wellness formula other than ones that specifically say they are for puppies, and only one is grain free. Otherwise, it’s a great brand and I love it.

I’m so jealous of your puppy! Can’t wait for pics!

#58167 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Wellness CORE actually does have one puppy formula, rated 5 stars. Here it is on chewy.com: http://www.chewy.com/dog/wellness-core-grain-free-puppy/dp/37158

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.