šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ab1028

Hi, I am new to the Dog Food Advisor community. I have a question about flying with my Miniature Poodle. He will be flying in cabin with me, and I was wondering if there on restrictions on the amount or type of food that I could take for him. Also, has anyone else had experience flying with pets in cabin?
    Thanks!

#39294 Report Abuse
    Dori

Each individual airline will have their own restrictions so check with your airline. Also your dog will have to remain in its carrier under the seat in front of you the entire flight. You’re not allowed to take the pet out of the carrier. Didn’t want you to be surprised about that. Only a certain amount of pets are allowed per cabin so make sure you make reservation well in advance. How long is your flight? Try not to feed your dog or give water at least two hours before actual flight. That helps a lot with possible air sickness. Also walk him/her as often as you can outside airport before going thru security. Once your thru security you can’t go back outside.

#39303 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I agree with dchassett – DO NOT FEED OR WATER THE DOG for a few hours prior to the flight. My grandmother has a yorkipoo and she flew with her from New York to Florida this year. Halfway into the flight she had diarrhea all over her crate and of course you can’t take them out of the crate for any reason so she had to leave her in there. It stunk up the whole cabin. The flight attendant even had to break out the air freshener lol. I don’t even think she fed her day of the flight actually, she was just so nervous. I’d also suggest maybe trying a pheromone collar, my grandmother is going to try that when she flies back to New York in a few weeks.

#39308 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

There shouldn’t be any problem with dry food at all unless you are flying overseas. Canned food can be a problem, you would have to put it in your checked baggage and I don’t know if there is a chance the cans would pop. I think they should be stronger than that. You could try mailing food ahead.

#39310 Report Abuse
    ab1028

Thanks for all the help! He is already booked on the flight, and we are getting everything ready for him in advance! I won’t give him any water, don’t want to chance any accidents in his carrier!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.