🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Iride4tnt

The kiddos got their first chicken back and neck today. I gave them frozen and was amazed how quickly they were devoured. No ill digestive effects so far.

#36309 Report Abuse

Very nice! I have never served those. My Greyhound loves a big turkey neck though 🙂

#36311 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Mine had goat for dinner. The bones are a little harder, but so worth it.

#36397 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Gosh I wish I had the guts and heart to raise/butcher my own meat….the dogs would have chicken and beef for dinner every night! But nope. I just haffa be a sensitive sissy, naming all the chickens, being attached to the rooster even though it attacks me, and treating my cow like an oversized dog… XD

Great your dogs liked it! 🙂

#36410 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I can’t butcher myself, actually I’d have no problem cutting it up after it’s dead, but I can’t kill it, no way. I have a little local butcher, a guy from Dominican Republic. I take everything to him. And we have pet goats and chickens too.

#36416 Report Abuse
    Iride4tnt

do you remove the skin and fat or feed them?

#36417 Report Abuse
    chris w

Our puggle loves to eat and chew on bones. I am afraid to get bones that splinter. She gulps everything down! She is over weight,so I have to watch what I give her. What is a good bone that will last,but not slinter? Should they be raw or cooked?

#36424 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Never ever feed cooked bones of any kind. That is what causes bones to splinter. Weight bearing bones of larger animals can break teeth. Other than that, I feed any kind of bone, except fish spines, and I don’t mean spinal columns either, I mean those sharp bones it some fish dorsal fins.

When I first started, I removed skin, because it is high fat, but I found that my dogs don’t have any problems with high fat so now I don’t remove the skin.

#37372 Report Abuse
    kvee

I live in the middle of L.A. County. Nothing but a conglomeration of suburbish cities and freeways. Not many nature-anything. What can I ask the butchers at my local Stater Bros. supermarket for Susie to chew on? This will be her very first bone!

#37399 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Beef ribs are a great first. Mine eat any kind of rib, beef, buffalo, mutton, goat, pork, you name it. Pork, mutton, and goat are higher fat, so the first time I gave them I trimmed as much fat off as I could. Soup bones are OK as long as your dog isn’t a heavy chewer, but if a strong chewer they can break teeth on those, and they have marrow in them which is very fatty, so it’s good to scoop some out and throw it away.

#37456 Report Abuse
    rogerharris

Good try! Yes raw bones with meat are very good diet meal for dog. Bone is natural and good for dog health. I also give my dog a bone with chicken in every meals .

#39039 Report Abuse
    Iride4tnt

I have been giving my kids frozen raw chicken thighs or legs, 2-3 times a week. I buy fresh, remove the skin and fat, then freeze. How long should they be frozen before feeding, to reduce the risk of salmonella? Thanks!

#39042 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Freezing doesn’t kill salmonella. As long as your dogs are healthy, they shouldn’t have problems with salmonella. Dogs were built to eat dead things with impunity. Their short digestive tract means that contaminated food passes before it can colonize the gut with bad bacteria. Giving probiotics occasionally helps to keep the gut healthy so it can keep fending off any bacterial invaders.

#39043 Report Abuse
    Iride4tnt

thanks. so once the chicken is frozen solid, it’s good to go, right? It amazes me how fast they go through the rock hard meat and bone.

#39044 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You don’t even have to freeze it. You can just rinse it off and hand it over. Mine like to get some frozen foods though. If you give pork, some fish, or wild game, that needs to be frozen for a couple weeks to make sure parasites are killed.

#39049 Report Abuse
    Iride4tnt

Yes, mine like them frozen. Thanks so much, all questions answered.

#39636 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Just started with some chicken backs , liver, hearts and gizzards. Cats and dog all seem to be enjoying it altho the first couple of backs had the dog a little puzzled. Next question, how do I balance the raw and kibble? I don’t want to be feeding too many calories. I gave Jake a little less kibble for his evening meal when he’d had a chick back earlier that afternoon.

#39662 Report Abuse
    Iride4tnt

I estimated the number of calories in the chicken thighs and legs and compared that to the calories in the quantity of kibble. Depending on the size of dog it can be a snack /treat or meal. But I new to this so would appreciate others input.

#46521 Report Abuse
    kvee

Hello everyone,

Today was Susie’s best day ever. I got her a rib bone and she did a very good job. There is still some potential on that bone, but her dad and I think she needs to take a break from the chewing for a couple of hours. How do we store the bone meanwhile? Just in the fridge? or is it ok to be on the counter as there is no meat left on it?

Thank you beforehand!

Karla

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.