šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Amaruq

We have been feeding our Malamute puppies Orijen puppy food. They are now 2 years old and my husband feels the puppy food is still good for them because it has more protein, but I have read it is bad for adult dogs, too much suppliments, I am afraid we are overdosing them on suppliments, please advise:)))

#30813 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

What supplements in particular?

#30819 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No, puppy food is great for adult dogs. They are more careful with the levels of vitamins and minerals that puppies need, because it is easier for them to have issues than adult dogs with getting too much. The adult dog food profile usually has minimums established, but may not have maximums on some things.

#31477 Report Abuse
    GoldenGirl

Basically the only differences between puppy and adult kibble is puppy is higher in protein, calories, & fat. (the levels of supplements in kibble are so minimal that that’s really not a concern) If you’re dogs are doing well on puppy food you don’t absolutely need to change to adult, but puppy food can often times cause weight gain. If you switch to an adult kibble you may be able to feed a little bit more too, which I’m sure hungry 2 year olds wont complain abou!t šŸ™‚

#31490 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Feeding too much causes weight gain, not puppy food.

#31730 Report Abuse
    rogerharris

Actually puppy food are much higher in protein and it may lead to overweight of your pet. But if your dog is doing well with those food and showing no weight-gain, you may carry on but keep observing its weight.

#31732 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

High protein does not cause weight gain!

#31739 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Puppy foods are usually about 2% higher in protein and protein has 4 calories per gram just like carbs, so protein does not cause weight gain. Feeding too much does, like I said.

#31951 Report Abuse
    GoldenGirl

You do have to remember that protein is not the only thing puppy food is higher in though. I can’t say for certain with this exact food brand but MOST of the time puppy kibble is also higher in fat and calories. (It can often times be upwards of 100 calories more a cup than an adult food) And calories and fat CAN cause weight gain.

#31953 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If the dog is already on puppy food, because it just turned adult, the food is not magically going to get higher in fat and cause weight gain. Just watch the body condition of the dog, like you were hopefully doing when it was a puppy.

#77697 Report Abuse
    Vince V

Yes, puppy food will cause weight gain if you are feeding via quantity in lieu of caloric intake. For example, say you ordinarily feed your dog a can of adult grade chow and a cup of adult grade kibble. If you keep the quantity the same, but switch to puppy grade, it will increase your animal’s caloric intake, as puppy food is higher in calories, and your animal will gain more weight. Puppy food in itself will not cause weight gain IF you feed via caloric intake. It’s about quality and not quantity. If you wish to feed puppy food, there will be no problems with weight gain if you adjust the caloric feed level to correlate with your animal’s requirements.

#115307 Report Abuse
    Anathy C

Iā€™m in a pickle I recently added a 6 month old terrier mix not by choice but out of nessity and I have a 14 year old china crested they are adapting.
    My issue is my crested is enjoining (simply nutrish) sweet potato and salmon recipe, so I was happy he was not eating well since he lost his brother and I was excited for him, his stool was was letā€™s say loose to be kind but now itā€™s firm but his urine is slightly foamy not white but more micro bubbles so the protein is effecting him should I be concerned?

#115310 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I would try to obtain a urine sample and take it in to the vet. Has he had a senior checkup recently, if not that would be the direction I would go in.

There are no veterinarians here at DFA. Any comments would just be speculation and opinion.
    Taking the wrong advice could result in a delay for the dog getting a correct diagnosis and the right treatment.

PS: I doubt foamy urine has anything to do with the food.

#115501 Report Abuse
    Chris F

Puppy food is designed for growing pups and the food was designed with them in mind (meeting AAFCO’s nutrient profile criteria for dogs in the growth). These foods generally contain higher fat & proteins than food targeted at adult or senior dogs.

Your best bet is to feed your dog “adult food” since these foods take into consideration your dog’s age, calorie requirement etc.

#116133 Report Abuse
    Patti S
    Participant

An adult dog can eat puppy food, if it does extreme physical activities (like sled racing), or it is ill and is trying to put on weight.

If your dog has a normal level of activity, then the puppy food will make him fat over time. Although protein is designed to maintain body tissues and can’t be stored as-is, eating more protein than your (or your dog’s) body requires can lead to extra body fat.

#118183 Report Abuse
    Jill M

My vet wants our picky 2 yr old standard poodle to put on 5 lbs … I’m thinking of going back to puppy food. We stopped feeding her puppy food at 18 months. Since then she’s lost 4 lbs that she really couldn’t afford. B

#118192 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jill M-
    It’s best to keep adults on maintenance food. What are you feeding now? Can you find a food with higher calories and/or fat?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by crazy4cats.
    #118356 Report Abuse
    Claire H

So to conclude here, different stage of dog require different nutrient? Puppy, adult and senior all need a different kind of food.

#121003 Report Abuse
    Jeremy K

My 14 year old Chinese Crested was losing weight rapidly. Vet said it was age related and normal. He lost a pound and a half between February and August (12.5 down to 11 lbs). I began feeding him soft food exclusively to encourage him to eat more. After a month there was no change.

Last week I began feeding him soft puppy food and he already feels less bony and frail. I havenā€™t weighed him yet, but he definitely feels and looks less gaunt. Also, it seems like he has a bit more energy. The last week has been very encouraging and Iā€™m looking forward to seeing him continue to improve.

#121343 Report Abuse
    tk h

i think its better to switch to adult now

#121374 Report Abuse
    Jeremy K

Update: After a week of exclusively puppy food, my 14yo Chinese Crested developed pretty extreme diarrhea. Heā€™s still heavier than before the experiment, but this obviously canā€™t go on. Back to adult soft food until the runs go away, then Iā€™ll mix in a little puppy food now and then to keep his weight up. Moderation is the solution.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.