🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ellen D

Hi all –

I made 2 huge batches of dog food this weekend, and I wanted to consult with the experienced folk to be sure everything is balanced and I’m adding the right things.

First recipe:
    -Meat mix – 50% chicken 50% beef. I bought whole chickens and cut them up. I ground the breasts without bones and then half of the wings, legs and necks bones and all, and I saved the backs and the rest of the wings and legs for RMBs which I feed 2-3 times a week. The beef was lean stew meat and some freezer burned steaks.
    -Organ mix – Goat liver and kidneys. I couldn’t find any other organ meats aside from liver and kidney, so I’ll have to order some for the next batch.
    -I did some maths and made sure I was using 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% kidney.
    -Fruit/veg (makes up about 15-20% of the entire recipe) – banana, blueberry, pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, mango, and a handful of collard greens – all steamed and pureed.
    -Herbs – turmeric, fennel, parsley, and mint.

The second recipe was exactly the same as the first except in place of the chicken and beef I used fish – whiting and mackeral with 2 cans of pink salmon with bones. I also added spinach to this one because I was making some for myself 🙂

Daily supplements – At breakfast, I mix in Dr. Harvey’s Formative Years supplement and a bit of coconut oil and at dinner I do the Grizzly salmon oil and Healthy Dogma Flee Flea Flee.

He also gets a can of sardines here and there and RMBs alternate between chicken backs, turkey necks when I can find them, goat chops sometimes. Just a couple times a week for chewing/teeth. I’d love to do more RMBs, but I don’t often have the time to give him completely undivided attention.

Am I missing anything?

#72097 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Ellen D-
    I have 0 experience with homemade dog food. But, I’d like to congratulate you for your hard work. Very impressive! I’m sure that both of my dogs would love it. Your dog is very lucky. The Healthy Dogma Flee Flea Flee supplement looks interesting. I hope this comment helps “bump” up your question so that others with more experience can take a look and help you out. 🙂

#72201 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Ellen-
    Gonna give your post another bump. The BCnut is a good one to help you with homemade food, but I haven’t seen her on the site for a couple of days. I hope she or someone else with some knowledge pops in!

#78220 Report Abuse
    zuponicafe

Ellen,
    Do you cook the meat & organs? And by RMB, does that means raw meat bones? If so, do you just give your dog a few chicken wing bones? I’ve always been paranoid of them mostly due to my parents scare tactics when I was a kid. ie:eating a bay leaf will kill you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.