šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Suzanne P

I’m getting 2 english mastiff puupies in 2 weeks. Very confused about what is the best puppy food to use. They are on Victor Select now can’t find it anywhere close to me. I was looking at Diamond Naturals. Any suggestions

#71148 Report Abuse
    Carol W

Hi. I recently bought a German Shepherd puppy that I’ve had on a high quality brand of puppy food, but just the other day, I was told by a professional handler that with large breeds, that’s not always a good thing. The puppy foods usually contain high percentages of protein that can cause problems with bone development happening too fast. She advised me to switch to a good adult brand to prevent this from happening. Just something to consider, especially with a large breed like a Mastiff.

#71150 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Excess Calcium contributes to skeletal disorders, NOT protein.

First, read this article recently published by Dr. Mike: /best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

Take a look at this thread and read at least the first several pages (taking particular note of information and links posted by Hound Dog Mom) for lots of additional information: /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

Here’s a list of foods (which appears on page 36 of the above thread) that have appropriate Calcium levels for large and giant breed puppies: https://docs.google.com/a/dogfoodadvisor.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1

#71166 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You may want to google littermate syndrome before bringing home two puppies. I hope you’re prepared for one extra large puppy & all the cost that entails, times two.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.