🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dorothy s

Hello all, first post here. My Pembroke and Cardigan Corgis are 15 and 14 years old, respectively, and in reasonable weight at approximately 36 and 30 lbs. The Pem seems to have a bit of acid reflux and will throw up if he goes too long between meals, so I feed them both four times a day, 1/4 cup of Blue Buffalo Adult Weight Control per meal, wetted with 1/4 cup water. They’ve been on this regimen for three or four years and have done very well on it. (I add water because both dogs have dental issues — fractures, etc. — that my vet would prefer not to go surgical on, given their age. They eat every morsel at every meal.)

I have to confess I’ve given appallingly little thought to their diet over the years, until today. Now, having found this site and forum, I’m wondering if I couldn’t do better by the old dears — or should I let sleeping (literally, most of the time) dogs lie and stick with the Blue Buffalo? Any suggestions, O sage hive mind? TIA!

!

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by dorothy s.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by dorothy s.
    #85807 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Blue Buffalo has had it’s share of issues & it’s a food I would not feed. For you, your dogs are a nice old age so I assume it’s working for them. I’d leave them on it since it’s working.

#85814 Report Abuse
    C4D

I agree with InkedMarie. At this point in their lives, if they are doing well, I would let sleeping dogs lie. 😉

#85816 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

My philosophy is to have your dogs the best they can be every single day, whether they have 5 years left , 5 months or 5 days. Every moment is a gift, why not give them a dietary boost, it’s never too late! You know what to fall back on if they show signs of intolerances.

Soft freeze dried is easy on the teeth and digestion. Super healthy clean raw without the freezing/ thawing frustrations. ZiwiPeak is great but can go bad in the bag faster, moisture factor. Primal Nuggets have long shelf life, crumble, add water and mix. Both are complete balanced meals, you may see their energy pick up, too. Remember, protein is still very important for senior dogs. Introduce with a slow transition and have fun with it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.