🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    JASTECH

This winter is rather harsh on our short haired dogs. I also have a few that will play no matter if it’s 10° below and loose much needed winter weight. The dogs are eating Fromm 400+ cal/cup kibble in hot well water. The small dogs at 30 lbs. or so can’t eat enough calories so they are too thin and still playing instead of staying inside custom dog house where it’s warmer. So, I am testing Dyne on the yard, will let you know the results as I can.

#32569 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Why not bring them inside your house. Yes, I know you have 30, that’s the choice you made. Now you need to take proper care of 30. No excuses!!

#32577 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I couldn’t agree with Patty more.

I hope those custom dog houses are well insulated and heated. I don’t know where you live, but where I am, it’s entirely too cold to leave dogs outside for prolonged periods of time. Why do you have 30 dogs anyway?

#32582 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

I don’t have 30 dogs, didn’t post that I did Patty.
    Betsy, breeder and many dog shows all over. Yes, the dog houses are custom made and good “R” value all four sides including roof & floor. They enjoy straw beds, some you can see the straw being kicked out as the dog talks and plays with food bowl or giant nylabone. I have over 130 ribbons my dogs won. I have plans in my head for a optional heated floor along with a few more ideas when production is decided on.

#32586 Report Abuse
    GizmoMom

Patty, I think you’re confusing him/her with someone else.
    /forums/topic/five-dogs-need-good-reasonably-priced-dry-dog-foodo/#post-32432

#32593 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

WOW!! Sorry, JASTECH! Your first post on here was the same time as someone who has 30 dogs and somehow my brain put them together. YIKES! I’m really sorry I confused you. I still think that if the dogs are losing weight because of the cold, they need to be in the house though.

#32608 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I also confused Jastech with someone else. My apologies! Thanks for clearing things up for us, GizmoMom. I still agree with Patty that they probably need some indoor shelter, but I’ll readily agree that those custom dog houses do sound really nice! So, how many dogs do you have?

#32610 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Patty, apology accepted. Most do just fine with extra food & Wheat Germ Oil (cold pressed) for added nutrient and 90%+ fat. Except those that will not stop playing until the day they die, just how the blood lines of this breed are. As stated, do to size of dog to food ratio a high cal/cup supplement is required to maintain the animals healthy weight in some conditions. I just started testing the Dyne high calorie supplement (1200 cal/cup)as stated in first post.

#32613 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I have Border Collies, so I totally understand the play til they die thing, they are known to do that quite literally. High energy dogs sometimes need to be forced to take a break. Can you put doors that can be shut on dog houses, so you can make them take a nap? Coconut oil is digested differently than many other oils, so more can be added without worry about the pancreas. Do they get bones to chew on? Mine will give themselves a timeout if they have a good bone to chew on.

#32744 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Patty, mine have played tug-a-war with commercially available doggie doors, jerking their bodies dragging house around. So no doors left on any houses. I do have an idea for doors, but no money sense my wife abandoned me & our 3 yr. son about 4 yes ago after I was hurt at work, had 2 surgeries then went code in recovery, was resessitated and now disabled. She totook 99% of money out of bank leaving us 51.28, went to Missouri living with ex-con for murder black man, has 2 kids by him and is now divorcing me & trying to get custody of my son. So I am trying to do the best I can for my son (homeschooling) and the dogs. My truck don’t run, needs work but I have the diesel injecting parts but can’t afford the labor. Need to sell my tools to buy expensive air rifle to hunt pigeons, doves, squrrils, rabbits, pheseants ect. So that we have meat, being on disability sucks. I take care of the dogs for my mom, she owns them now. I still owe our at tourney a lot too. The air rifle is very quiet, I should be able to hunt all year w/o people hearing me. This will make a big difference in our groceries.

#32747 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yikes!! You have more troubles than any 5 people should have. Good luck to you.

#32771 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

PV, thanks for caring. I keep praying no matter what happens, still Love the Lord. My son and I talked about the town council paying for the removal of all pigeons in the main drag area which helps “cleanup” retail store fronts from all the “splats” everywhere. They mentioned in the town paper it would cost a few thousand dollars to have those selected birds removed. Well I could get paid to shoot them, and then my son and I can eat the birds, talk about a bonus!… I need to find out if sod poodles are good to eat and how to fix them, any ideas?

#32785 Report Abuse

Hi Jastech- If you are feeding 400 plus pounds of dog food per month as you have said previously, you have well over 20-25 dogs. Whether a breeder or not, its too damn cold out for dog to be outside. If a dog is eating, and still losing weight, then its up to the owner to find out why-and sorry, but playing or not, the weather is a contributing factor.

#32786 Report Abuse

Ps-And for the record, if you are thinking of hunting prairie dogs and pigeons for food, you would be better off feeding Diamond(Extreme athlete is higher protein/fat which cold dogs need) and cutting your Fromm food bill.

#32802 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

MelLissa, So you reccomend “Diamond” dog food over the “Fromm” that the yard is getting fed?

#32804 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Also, the dogs now belong to my mom sense my injury and hence disability. I hope to get a FX Royale 500 .25cal., FX Verminator II Extreme .25cal. Posted the air rifle that I hope use invade anybody has these and can give advise.

#32819 Report Abuse

I don’t use Diamond products however at 32 percent protein
    and 25 percent fat extreme athlete is better suited for their needs.

#32830 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Correction: My last post “invade” should have read “invite”, sometimes this word corrector on my pH a let needs to be learned.

Melissa, I don’t believe you can get 32/25 out of any Diamond/Mars Candy dog food unless you add it too the bag. My soon to be multi-adultry oriented ex-wife fed Diamond High Energy to the yard while I was connected to a machine at mom’s 8 miles away after being released from ICU. This action to “save” money (for her to steal later) almost killed the dogs. Their were 13 empty 50 lb. bags in the living room. I know better then to feed anything Diamond and so did she, but she had a plan.

#32847 Report Abuse

Diamond extreme athlete is from the naturals line. Hi energy is bare bones bottom rung . If you can find it in your area and your dogs sre not fat sensitive abady granular is almost 800cals per cup. Diamond EA is as I said in the fat/protein content but much lower calorie. Years ago we used Diamond EA in the rescue program for thin dogs. It worked fine but abady is better.

#32854 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Melissa, you said Abaft is 800 cal./cup, did you read my thread were I’m testing Dyne? Which is 75 cals./tbl. sp. The dogs really like it too. I actually need a couple more gallons to four in order to obtain proper test data doing entire yard. Dyne, are your ears ringing? I also went through 15 lbs. K-9 Super Fuel but was not enough, the yard would require 3 times that for me to give honest results.

#33087 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

That would be 1600 cal./cup which is about 4 times the calories of most 5 star dry foods.

#33102 Report Abuse

This is not a product I would use. To each their own.

#33550 Report Abuse
    CK

I have never done a post or chat but felt I must . I agree totally with Melissa. I gave 2 tablespoons of this to my 11 year old English Setter a few days ago (only once). That is HALF of the recommend dose “per” application. Later that evening (about 4 hours after giving it to him) he was sleeping in his crate which is typical and normal for him. I then called him several times to go outside and I found it odd he was not trotting out like he usually does. After a few more calls I went to see why he wasn’t coming out of his crate. Just as I was going into the bedroom where his crate is I couldn’t believe my eyes… he was attempting to make a few steps towards me and he was staggering and wobbling and could barely make it to me. Just as I went to help him he fell flat to the floor. He was confused, weak, wobbly and actually even walked into the wall a few times that evening. It’s been two long days but he is getting better. Propylene Glycol is listed 6 th on the bottle I have although I saw it listed 4th or 5th on one of the websites. That is pretty high up in my opinion. If you go to the Pet poison website propylene glycol is listed as poisonous and I was horrified when I saw many of the same symptoms my dog was experiencing. Obviously my dog has a particular sensitivity and thank God I did not give the recommended dose.. and… only gave it once. I did feel it was very necessary to share my personal experience although I am uncomfortable doing this. Actually if you Google the name “dyne” you will see an antifreeze company that uses the name. This, in my opinion, should never be used in a food product, especially for puppies and dogs that need extra support nutritionally. My dog was neither and he still had a severe reaction. I am not writing to criticize in any fashion just hope to save someone from the weekend we just experienced. I feel so bad because I caused this by not understanding the ingredient list better or for being too trusting of what the front label says. I find I am now reading ever label and have learned a lot in 48 hours!!! I just read the label of my bath salts that I use and guess what? Propylene Glycol is listed on the label but 3 item from the BOTTOM of about 30 not so pleasant sounding ingredients. I hope my experience will help someone else and again I feel so fortunate that I took the very conservative approach when I gave him the one and only dose. Not sure what would have happened.

#33572 Report Abuse
    CK

Update… I went to leave a “product review” on the Lambert Vet Supply website where I purchased Dyne and it won’t ALLOW ME TO!!!! I then thought that maybe it was my computer so I tried other items on their site and it easily accept a review (which I did not leave since I was just doing an experiment to see) This has me VERY CONCERNED !!!! Are they afraid of me saying the Dyne made my dog so sick. I would like to bring this to a higher level.

#33590 Report Abuse

What did your vet say?

#33598 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

This site is for helping others, no matter how long I’ve had dogs, “I can still learn” and try to. I am not hard headed on everything I say or do. Many things are new to me and sometimes I find myself not reading everything when trying to correct a problem too fast. I have been off here taking care of sickly dogs, yes I think it was the Dyne. Trying to correct it still. I don’t reccomend nor endorsed this product at this time do to the PG.

I will consider other vendor offers if available.

Thanks, JASTECH

#35478 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Update: Two more of my kids have passed away, this has sickened me. I have four that I am still trying to keep alive. I have the empty gallon jug of Dyne to remind me and to show others as a Warning. This has upset me and my son as to why they would add PG to a supplement used for weight gain. I will contact the company this week then report back here their responce.

Thanks, JASTECH

#35483 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

So sad. Did you ever make a report to the FDA?

#35544 Report Abuse

How sad. What did the vet say or what did the necropsy show? How much of the stuff did you use?

#35683 Report Abuse

So let me get this right-

Your multiple dogs live outdoors and were getting thin. This was from back during the artic style cold weather we were having. You start Dyne to try to get them to gain weight. In tne meantime your dogs that are skinny are eating wood (pica)..you fail to take them to the vet for treatment/diagnosis. Dogs die. Tell me again how this is Dyne’s fault?

#35689 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

That whole situation makes me sad! 🙁 Were those poor dogs eating wood because they were starving to death and freezing and wanted to be someplace warm?

#37003 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Melissa, what? The dog’s do not eat wood because they don’t get fed! I did end up using most the gallon. I too can’t locate a Dyne forum on their site to post the negative results of their product. They seem to be owned by Lambert Kay? I will try to call them again today.

#37077 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Cyndi, the dogs are not starving and subject to eating their dog house. My Kangal is the biggest on the yard, he is healthy and does not eat his house. He does dig up rather large tree roots to play with or dumps his 55 gal drum bottom water bowl and plays with it, chewing act but not eating. Some breeds will tear up their house no matter what you do except to remove the house, and I will not do that. I have replaced many houses over the years, that is why I started designing a custom house for winter or summer that is more difficult to damage and replaceable sections. Any more questions? Copy of monthly delivery of pallet of Fromm to show the yard is not starving? Don’t think Judges at shows give the dogs ribbons & trophy’s for looking starved or I’ll treated.

#37082 Report Abuse

Interesting. The person posting as jastech jr has deleted his comments.

For

#37092 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Then I would bet your dogs are eating wood and tearing up their dog houses and playing with tree roots because they’re bored. Dogs are pack animals, not animals that should be in a cage or pen or locked up in anyways all the time. I have never and will never agree with people that keep dogs outside 24/7. They need to be with their family and loved and spoiled, that’s what a dog is for. My dog doesn’t tear up stuff. She’s very rarely in her cage and she is always with me, being walked or loved on or groomed or just snuggling with me watching tv. Sorry, but I truly feel sorry for your dogs.

#37236 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Cyndi, the breed and bloodline of the K9 makes a difference too. Even brood stock will conduct them self’s differently then what “outsiders” expect. The “working breed” is not happy just laying around. I have a cement able pole, they get attached to and play for hours w/o getting loose, called “The Tuff Pole” (Pat.Pend.) they enjoy it so much I have to stop them and remove them from the exercise area. One time a play toy was hung on the 7′ overhang instead of returning toy to house, well you guessed it, the dog jumped up and grabbed the toy then proceeded running around with it. They would tear up my house, and only one out at a time means the others in crates. I know they are happier outside. What experience do you have with Kangal’s Cyndi?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.