šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alissa D

Hi!
    My little yorkie is allergic to most of the common dry food ingredients. A few years ago I found two kinds she could eat but I can’t find them anymore. I’m looking for a new one, preferably one that comes in small bags since she’s allergic to storage mites as well. She’s allergic to beef, chicken, lamb, venison, milk, barley, flax, peas, and soy. She might also be allergic to fish, I can’t figure out the vet’s note on the paperwork they gave me and they didn’t remember what it meant from when they wrote it a few years ago. I’m looking for a dry food based on turkey, pork, rabbit, duck, or something else weird. The vet’s only suggestion was a kangaroo based wet food that she won’t eat. I’ve been searching but I can’t find anything. I also can’t make my own dog food right now since I’m away for college and my mom is taking care of her and doesn’t really have time for that.
    Does anyone know of anything that might work?

#90417 Report Abuse
    Alissa D

I found Nutrisource Woodlands Select that seems to be ok. I’d still be interested in others though in case she doesn’t like it very much.

#90419 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi have a look at Artemis Osopure Turkey & Garbanzo beans or Duck & Garbanzo beans
    but it has peas….Have you done a food elimination diet to be 100% that she is sensitive to all these ingredients?? Have you seen a Dermatologist instead of a vet?
    I know you wrote you don’t have the time to cook but if you cooked once a fortnight or monthly & freeze the meals in sections…
    I buy Lean Pork mince & add parsley, broccoli, carrot, kale & Almond & Flax meal & 1 whisked egg & mix all together & make 1 cup size rissoles & bake in oven then cool then freeze & also boil sweet potato pieces & freeze & take out the day before & put in fridge for the next day…. when I first started I only added pork mince & parsley then I slowly added the other ingredients to see how Patch went…..
    Your not going to find a kibble that doesn’t have the all the ingredients she is sensitive too…maybe look at wet tin or the Honest Kitchen meals you just add water or you buy your own meat & add the Honest Kitchen base mixes…. have you tried Raw Diet the pre-made Raw??
    Its very rare for a dog to be allergic to most proteins & when they are they will suffer with IBD…..

#90422 Report Abuse
    Alissa D

We had the full range of allergy tests done through Heska and have been working with different vets trying to find the right combo of allergy medication, steroids, and immunothetapy. She’s allergic to 37 other common things besides her food allergies. Apoquel is finally available in my area so hopefully that works better than what she’s on now.

I’ll cook for her as soon as I’m home but I’m away at college and my mom just won’t make food for her. She’s super picky and won’t eat for days at a time if she doesn’t like it. She’ll be throwing up stomach acid before she decides to eat. There are more canned foods she can eat but she won’t eat any of them. That’s why I’m looking for dry food. Hopefully the one I found works. I ordered some and had it sent to my mom’s house.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Alissa D. Reason: Spelling error
    #90810 Report Abuse
    Renee B

you might try doing a pet profile on her at http://www.pawtree.com/arkansaspets. They have natural pet foods based on your dogs needs. Along with treats, etc.

#90814 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

Hi Alissa,

Have you considered using a canned dog food? I’ve found it is better in many situations for dogs with sensitivities to food. It is less processed, has more natural moisture, and usually has a lower carb content.

One I looked at recently with a client was Merrick Limited Ingredient Turkey (although it does contain peas). Nature’s Variety Instinct canned food line has several choices for ingredients on your list (also contains some peas). Since you have a small breed dog, it might not be too much more hassle to feed canned food and could be very beneficial.

As always, I recommend a slow change over one or two weeks. Using a probiotic and digestive enzyme during the change and for several months after the change will help prevent digestive upset.

The bottom line on “food allergies” is that it’s not a normal state for dogs. It’s rarely just the food causing problems. Instead, there are deeper issues that should be treated. Many dogs in my practice have been able to eat foods they were formerly sensitive to after treatment of underlying disease. Chasing “the perfect food” is a dead end as most dogs become sensitive to more ingredients over time when the underlying disease is not addressed.

You can read more about dog nutrition and holistic health on my blog: http://naturalaternativesvet.com/blog

Tabitha (Dr. Thompson)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.