Dry dog food for my Glen of Imaal puppy with possible food allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Dry dog food for my Glen of Imaal puppy with possible food allergies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sandra W

My 11 mo old Glen chews at her toes and scratches her ear. This is a recurring problem and has been treated with medications each time. A vet suggested changing her food/treats and I am looking for the proper dog food. She started with a standard dry food the breeder used and then I used Horizon Legacy Puppy Grain Free. I don’t remember a real problem then. After we got another puppy (Vizsla) I stopped the Horizon (I could only get it in 8 lb bags) and switched to Wellness Complete Health Puppy Deboned Chicken, Oatmeal & Salmon Meal. It was a few months before I noticed the chewing and scratching, so it may not be a food allergy, but I’m going to try changing her food. Also, the Blue Buffalo Health Bar treats (all varieties) need to be changed. Does anyone have a recommendation/suggestion?

#90775 Report Abuse
    Leslie W

Sandra – Could this be a seasonal allergy brought in on your dogs paws? The ears may itch from pollen brought in on the paw, You may want to consider a foot bath each time they go outdoors. I use a tub like the ones used for apple bobbing at my back door every other time my dogs go out. Here’s a recipe for two different soaks:

1 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 1-4 cups of white vinegar to one gallon of water

Or if dog has a yeasty smell (smells like corn chips) use:

1 gallon of water and pur in Betadine until water is the color of tea.

Soak then wipe feet well.

#90776 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Zignature Limited Ingredient Formula Dry Dog Food (Turkey, lamb, or duck)

Key Benefits:
    Grain-free and limited ingredient formula
    Gluten-free diet
    No potato, chicken or eggs
    Complete and balanced diet for all life stages
    Made in the USA

Stay away from all grains, brewer’s yeast and oatmeal anything. Same for treats. Yeast also feeds on oatmeal based shampoo. Bath in Aroma Paws honeysuckle and jasmine formula, all natural. Order food from Chewy.com, ingredients and reviews listed on everything.

Stop all the medications, it weakens the immune system. Wipe out ears daily with a tissue, q-tip out the yeast. Get ear drops from vet and keep at it.

#90795 Report Abuse
    Susan W

My Golden has done the same thing this summer. Food Grade DE Powder will help with the ears & paws. If your dog has rust colored spots between her/his toes, it might be yeast. There are some good remedies for yeast, tho it’s hard to cure. Also helpful for us has been VeRUS dog food. If you contact them and tell them your dog is itchy, they’ll email you back with some suggestions. It has helped us a BUNCH!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.