Dogswell

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy B

Anybody have any take on the “Dogswell” chicken jerky treats. I can’t seem to find whether they use American chicken or import the meat. The package clearly states “Made in USA”, but this is sometimes a misnomer. It may be made in the USA, but the product can be imported.

#77566 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

The small family owned pet store I work at used to carry the Dogwells treats until the China jerky recall. They stopped selling after that because it came out that they were sourced from China even though they were made in the USA. We tried bringing back another Dogswell jerky treat and it didn’t sell so we got rid of it.

I’m not sure where they are sourcing from as of this moment. Best bet is emailing the company.

#77572 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

didn’t they have a recall a year or two ago?

#77589 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’d just avoid it to be safe. No reason to take the risk with the variety of products available.

#78041 Report Abuse
    Carol P

I did a lot of research and only was able to find one chicken jerky company made in the U.S. They are Nature’s Deli from Colorado Pet Treats (http://coloradopettreats.com). Of note, they had a salmonella recall back in 2012, but have handled it by improving their process and servalence to prevent it from happening again. I order it online and the largest bags, which makes it very reasonable priced.

#78047 Report Abuse
    C4D

According to their website, they are now sourced and made in the U.S.

http://www.dogswell.com/healthy-dog-treats/jerky/vitality-jerky-chicken-usarecipe-1/

I haven’t bought them in a while because the bags said China, but it appears to have changed.

#78061 Report Abuse
    Andy B

Thank you for the posts. I have decided to just keep feeding my dogs (3) Jack Link’s beef jerky made for humans. It has to pass USDA specs. Plus, it’s cheaper than dog treats. I don’t like the words “USA sourced” on the package of the Dogswell chicken jerky. “USA chickens only processed in the US” would make me feel more comfortable. Companies may ship the chickens to China for processing which leaves it open to adding roadkill or other varmints like pigeons and then shipping it back to the US to package. Now you have “USA sourced” chickens, and “Made in the USA” packaging. I called Dogswell and a recording came on that said to standby or press 9 to leave a message. I waited for 20 minutes and nobody ever picked it up. No sense leaving a message if nobody is there.

#78081 Report Abuse
    Kris S

I understand your hesitance with giving your pups treats of unknown origin. I give my huskies chicken jerky from http://www.whiskerdogbiscuits.com/ It is sourced and made in PA, and they really love it.

#78085 Report Abuse
    C4D

Andy B,

Jack’s Links aren’t even healthy for people!!! There is 25% of the daily value of sodium for Humans in just 1 oz of jerky. That’s way too much salt, especially in a snack!

I don’t even feed my dogs jerky, except on a rare occaison. Why don’t you just pick a healthier treat. The other option is you could buy a dehydrator and make your own jerky.

http://www.jacklinks.com/products/original-beef-jerky

#78088 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

There are loads of other treats out there other than jerky, I don’t totally get why so many people think jerky is a must have. Anyhow, I do have a few that are pretty good and safe:

For Chewing Jerky, check out the honest kitchen beams, technically fish, but its jerky like. You could also get USA sourced and processed beef ligament

For treats: Boulder Dog Food chicken breast is easy to break up to use as a treat. Real Meat also makes some jerky treats that I like for training

#78091 Report Abuse
    C4D

I totally agree with you AGT! My dogs do love THK Beams, but there are so many other healthy options besides jerky!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.