šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Missie

Hello,

I’ve tried giving both my dogs a probiotic and both got sick from it. I purchased VetriScience Vetri-Probiotic everyday chews from chewy.com. I have a 1 1/2 year old beagle and a 14 week old beagle puppy. I talked to my vet about a probiotic and she thought it was a great idea. I’ve given the probiotic just once after a meal. 1 chew for my 1 1/2 year old and a half of a chew for the 14 week old as the directions indicated and gave them the chew after one meal. I feed 3 times a day and they got the probiotic on their second meal of the day. After their final meal of the day, they both vomited. I feed the 1 year old Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast dry food and the puppy get Wellness Core puppy dry food.

Upon looking at the ingredients for both dry foods I noticed that they do contain similar ingredients to the probiotic and if maybe that caused them to get sick? I’m wondering if maybe someone else has ran into this issue because I’ve never heard of dogs getting sick after having a probiotic.

Thanks!
    Missie

#77647 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Some info here written by a veterinarian that you may find helpful http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=probiotics

#77648 Report Abuse
    C4D

My own vet is very much in favor of probiotics and it has now become a bit of a mainstream medication in both human and canine practice. If it only happened once, it might have been some other issue. You could start with a lower dosage, say 1/2 the actual dosing amount and see what happens. I use Kefir and give my various dogs 1 tsp – 1 tbsp daily depending on size. It’s 99% lactose free, much cheaper, contains all natural probiotics and has worked well for me.

#77649 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I would’ve started with a lower dose also.

I’ve definitely heard of dogs getting too much probiotic, too soon, and developing loose stool as a result.

My favorite probiotics are the human grade ones I buy from Swanson.

#77664 Report Abuse
    Missie

Thanks everyone for responding. I also contacted VetriScience on Facebook and I’m suppose to call them on Monday morning. I assume it was too much for their tummies and may lower the dosage, once I speak to VetriScience and my vet. Oh and by the way, there was no previous illness before this one incident.

#77668 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi- I’ve never given a probiotic via a chew treat or anything else. I’ve used Kefir, which is a type of milk essentially that is very popular in the Jewish community. My boy never had any issues with that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.