Dog won't eat dry food but canned food too costly

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Dog won't eat dry food but canned food too costly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mrsh1963
    Participant

2 months ago I found a dog dumpster diving for food. He is about 2 years old and in good health according to the vet. Problem is he doesn’t like dry food and will only eat 1/2 cup of dry food every other day. He began to lose weight so I mixed canned food and dry food.
    Problem is I travel in a small RV and canned food is costly and added weight for the RV. My “Camper” is 40 lbs. which is his ideal weight.

#11075 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Have you tried just adding warm water to the dry? Or sprinkling on parmesan cheese? Adding a little of the meat from your dinner?

#11076 Report Abuse
    mrsh1963
    Participant

I tried moistening food with chicken broth, beef broth, canned gravy. I’ll try parmesan cheese.

#11081 Report Abuse
    Jackie B

Dehydrated food like Grandma Lucy’s or Sojo’s is usually cheaper per pound than canned food. Just add water. And obviously the dehydrated food is much lighter. Mix it half and half with kibble if you want.

#11086 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What a wonderful person for rescuing the pup from dumpster!!!! God bless you! I bet the parmesan cheese will work. Good luck!

#11164 Report Abuse
    mrsh1963
    Participant

Thank you Pattyvaughn for your suggestion of Parmesan cheese sprinkled on Camper’s dry food. I mix 2 heaping teaspoons from a jar of Kraft Parmesan & Romano cheese in his food and he loves it. Now I have to sprinkle cheese, only a small amount, on my 75 lb. lab/golden retriever mix (from local shelter) too.

#11169 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I never would have thought of that one except BryanV always suggests it:-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.