šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Shane C

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section!

I’m coming to the end of my degree with university and while job hunting in the industry I’d like to start off my own little business,

I’m looking at doing pet food, but specifically starting off with dog treats / dried food. I’m also taking a interest in doing condition tailored treats, take my puppy for example, poor thing has just been diagnosed with a proneness to colitis.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any general ideas or tips to help me start off?

And before concerns come into the replies, I have access to the correct facilities to produce, completely above aboard, routinely inspected, so it’s not a spontaneous idea of a stereotypical student cooking up some biscuits in a grotty flat hoping to make a quick quid!

#99898 Report Abuse
    Michael M

Hi Shane,

The most important thing to think about for any sort of start-up is using the “jobs to be done” framework. For dog treats and dried food with conditions, think about what products people use for their dogs. Talk to people who have dogs with those problems and see what they have “hired” to help out their dog.

Getting information about actual target users is the best possible place to start. Wish you the best of luck!

#100179 Report Abuse
    Kristi D

Hi Shane,
    I was talking with a lady today that needed to create her own treats for her dogs’ issues. She was also pursuing turning it into a business. She has found a young start up company that was doing what she had hoped to do. This company has pet parents fill out a pet profile and indicate what issues the pet has going on. Their algorithm was developed by animal nutritionists and veterinarians and suggests food, treats and supplements if needed. I’m wondering if they could use some one with your knowledge and training and passion for helping pets with special conditions.
    If that is of interest to you, I can try to connect the two of you.
    Kristi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.