šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin W

Do I need to transition if moving my dogs from TOTW to Arcana/Orijen? Considering the substantial price increase I’d prefer not having to buy another bag of TOTW…

I don’t know why I want change foods but feel like I want to give this other company a try for their quality and standards over TOTW. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to feed Orijen but enver could afford it. I’ve fed my dog since she could eat dry food TOTW for almost 6 years no and has been healthy and happy (boston terrier). WE just added a new addition to the family (staffy) who who has been on TOTW for 3 months and doing great. Healthy coat, no gas, and full of energy.

So would I need to buy a bag of both to transition or can I just make the switch?

#71076 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I would transition since one has been on it for six years. And keep in mind it could take several weeks to completely transition over. Try feeding 20% of new food and don’t increase the amount of new food until their stools are normal. Also feeding a little pumpkin purĆ©e or giving a probiotic powder or capsule with meals can help with digestion issues. You can also just keep the TOTW as your base food and just mix in different foods just for variety and not actually transition completely off of it. Or serve TOTW for one meal and a different food for another meal.

#71078 Report Abuse
    Kevin W

Ok thanks! Sorry about the typos I cant seem to find an edit button. In your opinion since I paid for editors choice to find a easier laid out rating in order of the best foods (to see its just alphabetic) which didn’t help me make a choice should I consider a switch? I know my vet said TOTW is a good food but she doesn’t like them for whatever reason and wants as usual for me to consider their Hill scientific diet.

I bought a 12oz bag of both Acana and Orijen. I prefer the kibble consistency of Orijen as it feels more moist and not baked/crunchy compared to their Acana line. Plus as odd as it may sound I actually like to try what I’m feeding them and to me the Orijen tasted better (could taste meat and the veggies) and not as much so cardboard-like as the Acana seemed.

I also noticed the Regionals version is just as expensive as Orijen and not sure if I should go with the latter or try their Classics.

I guess it’s just been so long since I’ve considered a dog food that it’s hard to decipher this stuff and what I want them to be on. They enjoyed both of the Champion brands.

#71091 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

TOTW is a Diamond Pet Food brand which a lot of people are concerned about because of their recall history. There are many good brands out there to try out. I feed many brands and types of food but my dogs have been eating that way for several years. Once your dogs get acclimated to food changes you wouldn’t necessarily need to do a transition. While Champion Pet Foods is a good brand, I still wouldn’t feed only that brand for life. And the dogs enjoy all the different foods they get.

#71219 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

After 6 years, yes, transition very very slowly. Seriously, start with 5 pieces of Orijen for the day & increase like that. Yes, you’ll have to probably buy two more bags of TOTW to do this. Runny stools maybe if you don’t. Worth the patience though, Orijen is considered the best (for pups who don’t have super sensitive digestive tracts).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.