🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Jasmine T

Today is april 13 2017 , i have been trying to transition my dog from homemade to raw. I cooked him heart liver and kidney the day before yesterday . All beef. The heart was hardly cooked at all. I boiled it but barly. I didnt realize it was still raw in middle i ment to cook it more. I fed it to him 2 o clock as a snack . He ate dinner as normal 5 o clock . Cooked pork,probaley more heart i dont remember, brown rice and a raw veggi mix i made in blender ,powdered eggshells for calcium.
    Later that night i went to give him rice peas and chicken gizzards so he can eat with his caprofen.
    He didnt touch it. Wanted to be alone rest of night.the nex t day i found puke piles in yard, and hes been squirting pink meat juice in place of poop. He still wont eat. Vet said to give it till today , that it may not be blood but undigested beef heart. I cleaned up pink water he squirted out all over the kichen floor at 4 am last night.peices of pink pulp.
    He is drinking water. And it looks just like meat juice. It smells like meat juice.
    He has an appt in a few hours.
    Maybe he wasnt ready for so raw a meal?he handles beef pretty much raw just fine, chicken needs to be cooked more.
    Maybe i gave him e coli
    I am so worried, i just want him to be healthy , on a raw diet. I hahe had bad luck so far with it. He just gets sick, now hes REALLY sick.

#98253 Report Abuse
    Erika I

I am sorry to hear that. I have only ever given my dog raw chicken liver and heart but that was about month 2 into our transition. I am new to raw food but I can say that it took about three months for Bella to transition to completely raw food. I know of some dogs who can do it in less time but she took a while and we are still slowly adding more and more to her diet. Each time I add something new she does usually respond at first with diarrhea and sometimes even vomiting. One thing to note is that heart and liver meat is super rich and should be added slowly into their diet and only in small amounts. I have been told it should only equate to about 10% of their diet.

I hope your puppy feels better- all the best!

#98254 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Raw diet? Wake up. http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=raw+diet
    If it was my dog, I would head over to the nearest Emergency 24/7 Veterinary Clinic, NOW. Not in a few hours.
    Stop listening to the homeopathic vets. That being said, there are some good ones and they mean well, however some of them are downright dangerous…. Science Based Veterinary Medicine is best. Just my opinion, blah, blah, blah
    Ps: Stop looking for veterinary medical advice online, it’s true, you get what you pay for.
    I hope your pup makes a full recovery and you learn something from this experience.

#98261 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

I’ve been feeding raw for decades and have only had two animals in that time frame that did very poorly on raw, and they got what you’re trying to transition away from–home cooked. They thrive(d) on it! Is there a specific reason you’re wanting to do raw for this dog, and how long have you been trying to transition, because it looks like you’re feeding a lot of possibly novel stuff in a very short time frame.
    With that said, I would go to the ER clinic if my dog were doing what your dog is doing, ASAP . I’ve had excellent luck with raw diets over the years and poor results with kibble, but the animals that receive home cooked thrive just as well as their raw fed cousins.
    Best of luck to you and your pup.

#98268 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi how is your poor dog doing?? what did vet do is he on Metronidazole??
    All organ meats are very rich & can cause diarrhea when feed too much, my boy gets diarrhea from those liver treats, Beef liver treats chicken liver treats… when I first rescued him 4-5yrs ago, I took him to the Hunter rescue second hand shop they raise money & sell worm, flea products, collars, name tag’s, toys, jackets etc everything for dogs/cats they raise money for people that don’t have the money to desex their cat & dogs, I wanted a new ID tag & a few toys for Patch & showed all the ladies my new rescue boy, the elderly ladies kept giving Patch liver treats & these were real big thick chunky black liver/beef treats, they could have been beef liver, I don’t know, anyway that night we were up all night with bad diarrhea, pain, feeling sick, I took Patch to vet next morning cause I have never had a dog get this sick, he was put on Metronidazole an antibiotic for the bowel & stomach & Royal Canine, Hydrolyzed dry vet diet just to let his bowel rest & heal, that’s when Patches new vet told me organ meats are very rich & can cause diarrhea, so since then I have never given him any liver, beef, or chicken liver treats again…
    Years later I went thru a Naturopath to put Patch on a raw diet cause of his IBD & Skin allergies & he wasn’t given any organ meat or bone in his diet cause he has IBD, he was put on a probiotic & digestive enzymes & a supplement powder to balance the raw diet but the raw diet didn’t agree with Patch cause of his IBD, it cleared up his itchy skin & red paws cause we were just feeding Kangaroo with blended broccoli, apple, celery, we were starting an elimination raw diet but Patch kept feeling very sick & regurgitating the raw back up….Maybe stick with the cooked diet, I know raw is so much easier to do there’s no cooking just start with 1 lean white protein & a few blended veggies (2-3) like broccoli, apple, celery etc & only add 1-2 spoons of the blende veggies with 1 cup raw..

#98270 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

I took him to vet, they wanted bloodwork and xrays. I dont like this vet. She told me i was feeding him wrong, dogs are omnivours , he only needs 25 percent protein and 50 percent carbs . I told her i knew it was controversal and she said it wasnt it just is what it is. And she had such an attitude with me there after.Anyway,i wish she was more helpful , in responding to my questions. I decided to take the meds to make him feel better and if nothing changed i .an apt for an xray the next morning.which i have in an hour . I cant afford xray and bloodwork together. I lost my job and this is all i have , il spend every penny but i only have so much. They gave him two shots and some pills.he WONT SWALLOW the pill. I wrapped it in a tiny peice of canned chicken and tossed it in his mouth and held it shut. Over and over he would spit it out when i let go.so i waited thinking i could wait him out. I did this and he just looked at me when i let him go. I got suspicious and made like i was leaving , i came back twice and he hadnt spit it out . Then i found it later. He litetally waited for me to leave leave to spit it out.the pill was metronidazole. He got a shot of antibiotic,and a antiemetic.
    They couldnt test his stool for parasites because it wasnt a stool,it was pink water. He is drinking water,not as much as id like. He had a half a bowl yesterday.
    Im bringing my boyfriend to his appt today so that if we get terrible news , he will be there and will more then likely ask his grandmother to help pay. Shes taken her dogs there for years too ,maybe she can request a payment plan. I dont know. I know an xray isnt the end of it.
    Maybe he ate a stick or something or glass or poison. I have no idea. It does make the most sense it was the heart.
    I read that heart could be fed as a muscle meat ,that it should not be counted as an organ. I read that if it SECRETES then its an organ meat.
    Yes too raw to fast.
    My dog is 12 in aug. Lab mix. Im trying to stay calm. I am close to freaking out. If something shows in the xray il have to rob a gas station to get the money , im thinking 5000 emergency sugery . What could be wrong with him???
    Im counting the min till our appt. I regreted waiting till today shortly after we got home. I thought about it all day and night. I should of just did it yesterday…

#98271 Report Abuse
    anonymous

GET THE BLOODWORK AND THE X-RAYS! It is the best diagnostic tools vets have. This is what happens…$2000-$3000-$5000 for emergency surgery, not a big deal if you want to save the dogs life.
    That’s why I said, stop looking for veterinary medical advice online. Wake up. You made a mistake listening to well meaning idiots. Get the dog the medical treatment it needs, learn from your mistakes and move on
    Please give us an update…..ASAP

Ps: The diagnostic testing and emergency surgery that may be needed may not save his life. But, I bet you anything that you will think twice about feeding a new dog raw.
    I once spent about $700 to $1000 to diagnose a dog, guess what? Hemangiosarcoma, no treatment options, just comfort measures.
    Big deal, an unexpected root canal for a human would cost the same. Talk to the clinic, they will explain your treatment options.

#98272 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

Im not looking for medical advice from you. I am just trying to vent a little so i dont go insane.
    I WANT to do both , xray and blood work. Its not like i have the money but im telling myself i cant afford it. I really just dont have it. This was what i had saved for him till i found another job.
    Im not going to let him die.
    You can count on that

#98274 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Well, what I have found is that the care for a dog (1 dog) routine and unexpected stuff averages to about $1000 a year. If serious stuff happens, that amount goes up.
    Please get right back to the vet.
    It’s like car insurance, does anyone really want to pay that? Give something up. Cable?

#98275 Report Abuse
    anonymous

If you are in absolute dire straits and cannot afford to get the dog medical care, have your local animal control officer paged to call you back, via non-emergency local police dept, tell him your situation and they will come and pick up the dog and do whatever they think is in the best interests of the animal so that it doesn’t suffer.

Or, another thought, get the treatment needed and go on Go Fund Me like a lot of folks do these days, whatever works.

#98276 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

HES EATING. !!

#98278 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

I live in the bay area. The paws out here is really cool. Spca in sf sometimes helps if u tell them u r homeless. I wont let him stay sick and starve .
    He is old , maybe i will stick to homemade.
    He just ate half his bowl of rice and cottage cheese.

#98279 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Get him some prescription food (as recommended by a vet that has examined him) after the diagnostic tests are done and he is stable. Stop the foolishness.
    I have tried to help, but I can see that you may not be willing to listen.
    Peace out

#98280 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

Im going to be watching his poop.
    The heart i fed him was NOT from a trusted source ,not grass fed or anything. I did not realize it was so undercooked. And i am not really sure how to transition him properly .
    I think due to his age and my lack of experience , i may stick to homecooked.

#98281 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

The vet told me to give him rice and cottage cheese anon101

#98282 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Okay, I hope he continues to get better.

#98284 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Jasmine, the vet sounds awful, can you see another vet there instead if her, 50% carbs that’s what most vet diets have 50-60% carbs, no good for senior dogs…. sounds like he’s pooing blood, something has irritated his bowel probably the raw food, the Metronidazole (Flagyl) will stop the blood within 3 days, Metronidazole must be given with food a meal twice a day, every 12 hours, just hide it or crush it in the cottage cheese or something he loves to eat boiled sweet potatoes are another good thing to feed with some boiled lean meat/chicken/turkey etc…. this is how I give tablets, I stand behind Patch then I kneel down & sort of sit on Patches back but I’m kneeling on the floor, from behind I open his mouth & I have the tablet in between my thumb & middle finger, I open his mouth & put the tablet on the back of his tongue & push down throat with my pointer finger & I have a big 20ml syringe filled with water near my leg & I put in the side of his mouth so the water washes down the pill, but when Patch is on the Metronidazole I give it in his meals….. He’ll get better soon, it scares you big time, I remember when my Patch was diarrhing light red blood water all night & morning till the vet open, it was like a fountain but the vet told me pink light red blood is better then dark red black blood.. Vet will know if it’s the small bowel or large bowel, I forgot what vet said I think light red blood was from the small bowel. He’s a very lucky boy he has a real good mum that cares….Keep us posted

#98285 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi again I was just making Patches lunch & I just remembered has your dog eaten boiled rice before & were his poos firm?? My boy can’t eat boiled rice, the sharp corners of the rice irritate his bowel, he was put on a wet vet diet the first time he was pooing blood & the vet diet had rice in it, Patches vet couldn’t work out why Patches sloppy poos weren’t getting harder, it was the boiled rice, she has a few dogs with IBD that can’t have boiled rice….. now I boil potato or sweet potatoes & get nice firm poos…

#98365 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

If you are going to feed rice when your dogs have an upset tummy, it usually is suggested to over cook it and add extra water to make it mushy.

http://www.dogaware.com/health/digestive.html#diarrhea

BTW, Jasmine, I truly hope your pup is getting better!

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by crazy4cats.
    #98367 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

Hi, thank you all so much, he is doing MUCH better. Id say hes back to normal, has his appetite back, wants to walk. His poop is better, it looks like thick pudding,with a hint of what might be reddish. (not normal )
    I asked the vet if the sample i brought in was blood and she said she didnt know, that there COULD be blood in it.
    It really just looked like pink water. I thought maybe it was part of the undigested heart coloring the water. She said it was just water.
    Susan, do you think it was BLOOD? Your dog had the same problem? I was really hoping it was NOT blood.
    Well he is eating the metronidazole, boiled chicken, and VERY smooshy overcooked brown rice. And the cottage cheese. He is doing so much better. I never got the xray done, i tried to feed him again after we loaded in the car to leave and he ATE. So i got really exited and canceled the appt. They did say that if he gets better and starts eating, that we probably didnt need to have the xray. We made the appt just in case.
    Im hoping this is true, that hes ok now.
    So relieved.

#98368 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Wonderful news. Now, please play it safe and keep him on a bland diet, maybe 1/2 cooked chopped chicken and rice or something, but use a quality kibble with water added or presoaked as a base (1/2 of the diet).
    Two or three meals per day.
    You dodged a bullet, stay away from that raw, homeopathic crap. Just my opinion based on the fact that I don’t enjoy going to the emergency veterinary clinic. I tried that stuff too, back when, with negative results. No thank you.

#98369 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“I asked the vet if the sample i brought in was blood and she said she didnt know, that there COULD be blood in it”

Only the additional testing, that you declined, can answer your questions.
    What might be true for someone else’s dog that had a similar problem, in no way might have anything to do with what is going on with your dog.
    Please learn from your experience. Find a vet that you trust, go in for routine stuff, annual exams, ask questions……
    I wish you and your pet the best 🙂

#98372 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi that’s excellent he’s getting better, it took Patch about 2 weeks to completely get better & do firm poos again, the wet tin vet diet had rice in it, we didn’t know he can’t eat boiled rice, he was still doing cow patties poo’s after 1 week, maybe start feeding some boiled potato, it will firm poo’s up or start feeding some of his old diet but just 1 protein, no organ meats, meat he does well on…
    Yes I do think it was blood, the Metronidazole will heal the bowel & stomach, so make sure he takes the fill course, 12 hours apart, so every 12 hours he gets the Metronidazole tablet with food, the Metronidazole can make them feel sick, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth…. Patch weighs 40lbs & was taking 250mg tablet every 12 hours with a meal…
    He could have Colitis that’s what Patch had from eating something that irritated his bowel, at first I thought he had Parvo but when we got to the vets they put us in a special room away from the visitors room, vet took his temperature & Patch didn’t have Parvo his temperature was normal, then vet said looks like Colitis & I didn’t know what Colitis was & asked the vet, what’s Colitis, he said it’s inflammation of the bowel lining, he could of eaten something he was sensitive too on his walks, it wasn’t worms cause I had wormed patch the month before, I worm him every 5-6 months cause we walk thru parks & go places dogs also walk, I don’t think it’s worms, I’ve had a boxer that had worms & she had diarrhea with blood & don’t act real ill, we rushed my Boxer to the vets & the vet nurse knew straight away it was worms, she wasn’t showing any other symptoms..
    Make sure you still check his poos for the next 3 months for any blood, if there’s streaks of red blood go back to the vets for further testing, but I think he’ll be right…

#98374 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Susan we had a similar scare once, one of our dogs (heavily coated) came inside from the yard with blood all over his rear end. It was terrifying to see; it was an idiopathic bout of colitis that lasted a day or two and our vet instructed us to fast him for a day or so and give him metro and it cleared things up quickly. He did much better on 3 or 4 smaller meals a day than 1 or 2. It’s scary seeing all that blood!

#98389 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

Colitis? Well ill check with the vet . A different vet. I can have his poop tested now that it is acutal poop.

#98390 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

His poop is soft but its formed. No blood that i can see.
    Looking better everday.

#98392 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Jasmine-
    Relieved to hear your pup is doing better. Thank goodness! Here is a site for you to check out to formulate a well balanced COOKED diet: https://secure.balanceit.com/

I feed my two dogs a homemade meal now and then using recipes I formulated on this site. Good luck!

#98596 Report Abuse

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but beef heart is incredibly rich, so I feed it as an organ meat not a muscle in a raw diet. Only about 1 oz per meal for a 70 lb dog.First time I overfed it as well and my dog had the runs for 2 days. It’s quite possible that it was too much if your dog is used to eating mostly poultry.

#98664 Report Abuse
    Jasmine T

Well ive definitely never fed him that much beef heart before.

#114652 Report Abuse
    Sloane K

Surprised to hear that raw beef heart would cause sickness in your dog. I am sorry to hear, but glad to see he had gotten better after what appeared to be a scary scene. You are probably no longer considering a raw diet, but on the off chance you do in the future I wonder if slowly introducing the raw diet would’ve helped made the transition easier. Very seldom do I hear or read of stories where going raw resulted in ill pups. Take care

#129247 Report Abuse
    Anon A

Wow there is so much misinformation and fear mongering in this thread, your dog was sick most likely because of something bad like bacteria in the veggies or eggshells. Nothing to fear the raw meat, especially after you partially cooked the outer layer of the raw beef heart.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.