Does anybody use DE?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Does anybody use DE?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    AnaG.
    Participant

I’ve been trying to find a more natural way to get rid of fleas and came across DE(Diatomaceous Earth) and was wondering if anyone can give me any info. I am using AdvantixII but it’s not working, and I don’t want to give my dogs pills that could make them sick, they are both senior dogs around 20pounds each.

#25483 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There’s info at http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

Be sure to use a mask as you don’t want to breath it in while applying it around the house and bedding and be careful applying it to the dogs as well. You can find it at most garden supply places and be sure to get “food grade” DE (don’t let the picture on the can scare you especially if you don’t get one marketed just for pets). I feed it to my dogs. As for fleas, I use essential oils, garlic and vinegar. I’ve been meaning to make a facial scrub with it but keep forgetting and keep buying commercial products from the store.

#25511 Report Abuse
    AnaG.
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Do your dogs do well on it? Does it help with fleas? I read somewhere that it did. I am considering giving it to my dogs too. I give them garlic but not other oils. How much vinegar do you use, just a few drops? Sorry for the inquisition. Lol

#25552 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Well, I mix the DE in their food instead of on their fur, and there doesn’t seem to be any side effects from that. I’m using Flea Free Supplement (garlic and vinegar liquid) right now – about 1 teaspoon per day (not every day). In my other room, I give the other dogs Bug Off garlic chewables. I use Halo Herbal Dip for flea/tick spray. For the yard, I use Neem Oil spray, Cedarcide spray and AntiDOTE brand nematodes (not all at once). I foster and haven’t had any flea problems since last year when I started these products (except Bug Off is a new product around here).

http://www.wolfcreekranch.net/flea_free_food_supplement.html

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs

http://shop.halopets.com/Grooming-Supplies/Herbal-Dip-5oz

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #25555 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’ve never used DE for fleas but a few times a year I’ll mix a tablespoon in with my dogs’ meals for a few weeks to help prevent intestinal parasites. For fleas I use natural oil based topicals or sprays and Earth Animal’s herbal tincture. Unfortunately though, if you dog is already infested with fleas you may need to use a chemical preventative just to get rid of them. The pills are more effective than the topicals and I know many vets feel they’re safer – if I recall correctly I believe Dr. Becker recommends Comfortis for dogs with flea allergies. Personally, I’d give one dose of Comfortis and treat the household (VERY important to rid the environment as well) and once the fleas are gone start on a chemical free regimen the next month. Natural products can be very effective for preventing flea infestations but not very effective for getting rid of an infestation that’s already occurred.

#25556 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant
    #25643 Report Abuse
    AnaG.
    Participant

Thanks for the info, guys. Right now they don’t seem to have fleas but everytime I was out with them it seamed like they would get a new “batch”! Lol
    I don’t think they ever had this much problems with fleas in their lives! Anyway, I be doing all of the above recommendations and now that summer is “over” (I’m in Texas, it still feels like summer, lol) I think it will be easier to keep them away. 🙂

#25648 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The problem in Texas is we rarely get a hard freeze to kill everything!

#25745 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

I’ve lived in Texas most of my life and fleas don’t have a season…they are all the time and horrible. Just a while back, my niece(in Texas) asked if I knew why her dog would be suddenly scratching and gnawing herself. I asked her if she had fleas and she said “NO!!!!” She ended up taking her to the vet and she admitted that the vet showed her that her dog not only did have fleas, she was COVERED in fleas!

I live in Ohio now and it freezes a lot and we still have a problem with flea infestation. Luckily I don’t have fleas but I keep a very close eye inspecting daily. I’ve only found one flea a few months ago….I nearly had a heart attack! HAHA!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 5 months ago by somebodysme.
    #26011 Report Abuse
    rogerharris

I never use DE to my dogs but I hear that there is no side effects of DE.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.