🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Sad Puppy

I agree. You need to take her to the vet. A blood test will tell you a lot.

#35800 Report Abuse
    Chelsie J

I’ve been giving my 12 year old Toy Poodle Dinovite for about a month now and it has helped her skin tremendously. She used to scratch and itch a lot and had awful skin rashes. Now her skin is almost completely clear. The easiest way to give the supplement to her is to mix it with a small can of wet dog food. Her regular dry food was not very good, since we have so many dogs my Dad would just buy huge bags of whatever the cheapest food was at the store. We didnt realize it was probably the equivalent to dog fast food and that she was not getting the nutrients she needed to maintain good health. You could just buy your dog/dogs a healthy dry food like Science Diet, but the bags are small and expensive. It saves money to buy a 90 day supply of Divovite and mix it with an okay dry food.

#35801 Report Abuse
    Diana R

Thanks for your responses. I can’t afford the vet bills right now. She is getting better everyday since I have quit the Dinovite. Right now she is out in the yard and barking, which is a good sign. I think I read where someone else’s dog also got the congestion after they started the Dinovite. I think all the weight she has put on is what is causing the listlessness and trouble breathing. She is a smaller framed dog so this extra weight is strain on her body.

#35805 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It’s a strain on her heart. DinoVite is a high fat supplement and her regular food should have been cut back accordingly. And in fact, you need to make sure you get every ounce of extra weight off of her. Be careful of her exercise and don’t let her get overheated.

#35847 Report Abuse
    Diana R

theBCnut,

I didn’t change her food intake at all while I was giving her Dinovite 🙁 She had actually been slightly under her normal weight for the previous 6 months or so and I was a little worried about that. Then I was happy after I started her on the Dinovite when she was first putting on weight. The extra weight gain just seemed to happen so fast. So now my goal is getting her weight back down. Instead of the long walks we used to take, we will be going back to just short walks around the block here and then keep working our way farther as her weight goes back to normal.

#38448 Report Abuse
    Steven M

I have not tried Divovite yet. I have 2 year old Bullmastiff that has been on Taste of the Wild/Bison pretty much since I rescued him (had him on Blue for about a month, the foster had him on a raw diet for a month and I have no idea what he was eating before)…He seems to be having food allergies, but can’t tie it down to one thing that he is allergic to. When he stays at the sitter’s for more than a day, he comes home licking and rashy. The first time it was small red bumps everywhere including his ears, eyes and jowls…The second time it was hot spots and the dry flaky bumps that others have talked about on this thread. Both times the vet prescribed antibiotics. The first time, he got a steroid shot and some eye and ear cream too…the second time I had to go to the vet twice and the second time he prescribed a second antibiotic and a steroid boosted antihistamine…and said that I could give my dog up to 15 Benadryl a day for the rest of his life. I agree with all of you that think that meds for life is ridiculous. I don’t think I want to go raw with his diet either. I am willing to try Dinovite, it isn’t that expensive for a 90 day supply (for my 120lb bully, $1 per day)…

I want to add this though- those concerned about diatamaceous earth need to do more research on it. I’ve used it several times all by itself to kill fleas. Non-food quality is used in pool and hot tub filters, food quality is used by farmers in their livestock foods to help fight intestinal parasites because it is actually crushed shells and corals and it cuts the parasites skin and causes them to dehydrate. Many sites will recommend it all by itself as a treatment to your pet’s coat to fight fleas and you can add it to food by itself for the same reasons farmers use it. I’ve never heard it being referred to as a “binder.” And to the post talking about the ingredients to the solvents and poisons including H2O, RIGHT ON man!!!! People are so worried about “chemicals” they can’t pronounce, but most people would not have any issues eating an egg…well you know eggs are chemicals and if you looked at the chemical make-up of an all natural egg, you wouldn’t be able to pronounce them either (Ovalbumin, Conalbumin, Ovamucoid, Ovomucin, Lysozyme, Avidin, Ovoglobulin, Ovoinhibitor) and that is just for the whites of the eggs….

#38452 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Make sure you tell your sitter to not feed your dog anything until you find what your dog is reacting to. These reactions can get worse over time, and DinoVite won’t cure an allergy if you are still feeding something your dog is allergic to. It is imperative that you try to figure out which ingredient that your dog is reacting to and eliminate it.

#38457 Report Abuse
    Steven M

The sitter feeds the food I leave with Brutus. But the vet says even sharing a water bowl with another dog that eats a different food can set a dog’s allergies off, and the vet also said that since it seems just to be food allergies, they don’t really recommend drastic steps to track down the actually allergin

#38474 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You need a new vet. Basically, your vet is telling you that he would rather dose your dog with antibiotics and steroids for life than simply have you change foods a few times to work out what your dog is reacting to. Reactions to foods also cause other problems, like ear infections, systemic candida, IBS, IBD, colitis, and on and on. It is never better to just treat the symptoms of a health problem, than to eliminate the problem.

#39696 Report Abuse
    Participant

This stuff gave my dog horrible diarrhea and itching.

#41510 Report Abuse
    Michele M

My Irish Setter has been licking for 2 years, last year was severe. I took him to a Dermatologist and spent at least $5000.00 on medication and procedures. He is allergic to almost everything, even human dander. I started him on the allergy injections, which did not help, the Dermatologist had prescribed many different antibiotics, we found one that controlled his itch, Clavamox, which is very expensive. He was on it for 6 months along with Atopica and his injections. He still licks. I took him off the Clavamox and injections he still is on the atopica and a plastic collar around his neck. My feelings are of quilt, I take the collar off when I can sit with him or when we are outside, some days he is not as itchy as others so I take off the collar. I clean his areas of irritation with alcohol or peroxide, then i apply women vaginal creme. This controls the infected area but does not stop it completely. My dogs infection is yeast based or fungal, from what the dermatologist said. I ordered the dynovite and I hope that it works. I’m ready for a miracle, my dog is very important to me. He rescued me when I was sadden from the death of my first Irish Setter. I just hope that Dynovite is a true solution. My dog eats Verus which is a grain free food. His symptoms are ear irritations, licky paws, inside portion of the legs, groin area and tail. I have not received the Dynovite as of yet ,but will start posting weekly results when my dog starts. I need encouragement from other dog owners. Michele

#43199 Report Abuse
    Alex V

I do not typically write reviews, but in this case it is necessary. I have had my 8 year old black lab on Dinovite for 6 months and have seen absolutely no results. Yesterday I took him to an allergist to have him checked out. He has a bacterial skin infection and a yeast infection. It’s really sad that we have had him on what is considered one of the best nutritional supplements that is supposed to alleviate and cure these types of problems in dogs…. and also very sad that our allergist vet said it was a waste of money. I would not recommend this product to anyone, don’t waste your money. And to top it off, the 90 day money back guarantee is a joke. They do not want you to return product before 90 days because they say that ” you haven’t given it enough time to do the job” but then after you exceed the 90 days and it still isn’t working, they say they can’t offer refunds because the refund period has expired. So ridiculous! Not to mention their customer service is some of the worst I have ever experienced! Do yourself a favor and stay away from this product and their bullshit scam company!!!

#43200 Report Abuse
    tecknik

I completely agree with Alex V. Waste of money and their customer service was a joke. They even criticized me. After refusing to wait the 90 days, I sent it back but did not receive any compensation for my own shipping expenses and I waited nearly 4 weeks for a refund. The stuff is useless.

#43686 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Michele M, please look into a home made raw diet if possible for your Irish setter. You have every thing to gain and this diet has completely turned around so many dogs with these problems by putting back the nutrients stripped away by meds and incomplete foods. It’s not a cure all for sure but has changed the lives of my allergy and foster dogs and may give your friend relief.

#45566 Report Abuse
    Michele N

I have a 5 year old German Shepherd who has had allergies since he was just a pup. We have tried just about everything out on the market to relieve his itching. He has itched his fur off at times, and it is black underneath. He has a yeasty smell to him. He had to be on steroid shots when he was younger due to his terrible outbreaks and skin infections. He gets worse in the summer, but his problem went year round. Until I got sick of having him on high doses of Benadryll and taking him to the vet for the allergy medicine, which really didn’t help the problem, just gave him a little relief. After a year of me spending hours of researching nutrition , and yeast problems in dogs, I stumbled upon a dog food, that pretty much saved my dogs life. It is Dr. E’s Limited Ingredient Grain and Potato Free Food. It only contains 5 ingredients. For the first time in his life, my dogs fur grew back and he stopped itching and he didn’t smell anymore. I also have him on supplements, probiotics, digestive enzymes by Mercola, Jointsaver, & Lysine. This spring came all the pollens and grass which he is also allergic to, and he started itching again. Although this time he didn’t scratch off his fur. He just had some hot spots, and so I had a friend suggest trying Dinovite, because he said it was helping his dog. I can say that since I put him on this supplement, about a week and a half, he has been itching himself until he bleeds. I emailed the company and they said that was not enough time for the product to work. So I continued a couple more days, and now I am ready to toss this stuff in the garbage. I am so steaming furious, that this company would put out a product that contains yeast as an ingredient, and a ground grain sorghum, and then tell you to put your dog on a yeast and grain free diet, makes no sense to me. I don’t know where they source their ingredients, maybe China, I don’t know, but what I do know is that my dog hasn’t been this bad off in years. He has red bumps all over his legs, back, stomach, groin, even his tail. He is so miserable, that now I may have to have him go back on the terrible medicine I wanted him off of. He has bad hips and elbows and arthritis, so the last thing he needs to be on are steroids. But now it seems as if he has a horrible skin infection after being on this product. We haven’t changed anything else in his diet , so I know for sure, that this reaction is caused from the Dinovite. I absolutely DO NOT recommend giving ANY dog this product that has allergies, immune disorders, pancreatic disorders, or skin problems. He was doing oK, with his allergies, he was itchy, but he didn’t have these red bumps all over his body, and he wasn’t scratching himself bloody. Now I am going to have a huge vet bill, on top of a very miserable dog. I am One very UNHAPPY customer. I should have known better. The less ingredients he has in his diet , the better. There is no miracle cure for allergies, and any product that claims to be, is lying. The only thing you can really do, is limit your dogs ingredients, find a food that has limited ingredients or feed a raw diet so that you know exactly what your dog is eating. Use human grade supplements recommended by a holistic vet, and research dog nutritionists and find one and talk to one if you can. And if you dog is allergic to pollen and grass like mine is, give them baths frequently after they’ve been outside. I use Zymox enzymatic shampoo and rinse. I also have used Dermagic and all of their products are fantastic, especially the hot spot salve. It doesn’t just sooth the itchy skin, it takes the hot spots away. I am mad that I got sucked in to this SCAM at my dogs expense!

#45569 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You need to actually do the work to figure out what ingredients it is that your dog is reacting to. Then you will be able to read a lable and know, before you feed it to your dog, that he is allergic to it.

#45655 Report Abuse
    Michele N

I’ve done my research with my dog for the past 5 years, as he’s had issues since I’ve had him. I KNOW how to read a label, and believe me, I’ve spent more time doing that than anyone I know. I am not an idiot that doesn’t know how to read ingredients, and I am offended at Dinovite, who sent me an ingredient list, of a dog food, that is NOT even what I feed my dog. Maybe THEY should do their research before sending out an email of an ingredient list of a completely different dog food then what I feed my dog. It’s pretty ignorant if you ask me. I have the privilege of knowing pet nutritionist, holistic vets, and have come to my own conclusions, that feeding raw is the very best option, especially if you use your own human food, because then you know exactly what your dog is eating. Unfortunately I cannot afford to feed him this on a daily basis, nor do I always have the time to prepare it for my 3. I am lucky to have 2 excellent pet food stores, not big commercial chain stores, that actually do their research and buy high quality dog and cat food. I switched to grain free years ago, but until I found a brand that used a very limited amount of ingredients did my poor allergy sufferer get any true relief and his skin infection cleared up,and all of his fur grew back. I also think taking him to an allergist and having him tested for every ingredient in dog food, is not only ridiculously expensive, but it’s a huge waste of money. The fact being that the dog food companies use fillers with their mix of vitamins, some of which come from China and India. This is NOT listed on the ingredients on any package including this Dinovite stuff. So that being said, none of us REALLY know every single ingredient in dog food, or premixed vitamins, like Dinovite. Who knows where they get the fillers used to bind the vitamin mix. Who knows for sure what is truly in it? Fact is, my dog is allergic to the outside environment and there isn’t anything I can do to prevent that, which is partly why I wanted to try this Dinovite to help him with this time of year, as they claim the vitamin mix helps dogs with yeast and allergy issues. But instead of helping him, it made him break out with red bumps all over his body, and now we have to deal with a skin infection. There is obviously something in this product that he is very allergic to. So my question is, why is this company putting ingredients in their product, that could cause these severe allergic reactions in dogs that already have immune suppressed systems? Why are they telling people to put their dogs on a yeast free, and grain free diet, yet put those ingredients in their supplement? It seems highly irresponsible of this company to CLAIM to help these dogs, only to make them worse. I can use my own supplements in my dogs food, which is what I was doing, without issues, so I guess, yes , I should’ve known better. Any product out there that CLAIMS to be a cure all, is really a SCAM! I have learned to trust my better judgement, and know that most of these pet products are full of crap. Literally! Also explain to me why when I emailed Dinovite, telling them since putting my dog on it, he is itchier, that,they told me that I need to keep him on it longer because I haven’t given it enough time to do it’s work? Maybe they need to hire some reputable people that give out good advice instead of just caring about their pocket book. Maybe they need to put a disclaimer on their product, stating that this supplement may actually make your dog sicker than he was before starting him on it, and may require you taking him to the vet and paying out enormous vet bills to fix the problem that our product may cause your pet. This product may have helped other dogs that don’t have poor immune systems that can handle the crap they put in this product.

#45656 Report Abuse
    tecknik

I agree with you completely Michele. Dinovite is garbage and as far as identifying what the dog is allergic to, well, if it were that easy, we wouldn’t be on this site posting about this useless product!

#45669 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Doing allergy tests would be a huge waste of money, since they are well known for producing both false negative and false positive results. I didn’t say you didn’t know how to read a lable, but obviously you can’t read a post. And apparently you get insulted to a ridiculous degree when someone actually tries to give you helpful advice rather than just yes manning you, so that was the last from me. Good luck to you.

#48367 Report Abuse
    Nita P

I recently decided to order Dynovite for my 6 year old German Shorthaired Pointer Bella. She has had issues with paw licking, yeasty ears, terrible bad breath and excessive shedding. Sometimes she would chew on her paws until she howled. She’s eaten Iams chicken based food (green bag) her whole life. This summer Bella’s ears got really bad and the medicines the vet prescribed (cortisone and something else) gave her complete incontinence (constant leaking). She also suffered from severe lethargy and acted “drugged” and it was scary. We discontinued the meds after 3 days. Bella’s fur was very brittle and handfuls of hair came off her if she brushed against you or if you stroked her back. Since I’m on my own journey healing my digestive problems with a diet of healthy food (candida issues), I had decided to give Dynovite a try. I made her food with white rice (I read on Dynovite’s website that brown rice is hard for dogs to digest), ground elk meat, sweet potato, olive oil, ground flaxseed, and added the Dynovite with some chicken broth. I added Dynovite Licky Chops and Omega Oil supplement in the mix. In TWO WEEKS we’ve reversed 6 years of heavy shedding, paw licking, and overall systemic candida problems. Her coat not only feels better, it’s hardly shedding at all now in summer in Texas. That’s nothing short of amazing in summer 100+ degree heat every day!!! I liked the homemade food ideas I got from the Dynovite website, but I’m changing her base food to a holistic blend with no grains since making the food is a lot of work (and I’m almost out of elk meat). I’m trying NOT to feel guilty for the food choices I’ve made for Bella now, but I am pretty convinced that nutrition was the problem since it cleared up the shedding so quickly. And the ears are better, no paw licking and she just smells better overall. If I didn’t hear those radio commercials every day, I probably wouldn’t have made the diet changes suggested by Dynovite and that made all the difference for us. We’re now about to start week 4 of Dynovite and she seems to be feeling better now too. I’m sticking with the Dynovite as a great supplement to Bella’s diet and I recommend it to anyone who wants their pet to be as healthy as possible.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by Nita P.
    #48369 Report Abuse
    Kritterlady

Congratulations! I’m so happy for your poor Bella that you have found a solution to her problems. While the Dinovite is likely helping to balance her you would probably have gotten the same results just from the diet change alone. Any of the five-star dog food advisor foods will likely be a great choice for her.

#49725 Report Abuse
    Tulip

Just had to chime in here. I LOVE this product and this company. Do a bit of digging folks. Read the label. Just about everything in this product is available at your health food store in whole food supplements. In fact, many of these things are part of my personal regime. You won’t’ get the same results with just a diet change.

Think about it. Take good ingredients and HEAT extrude them. Make them into a slurry and put them through extreme heat and pressure. What comes out the other end is highly process,heat extruded food. Of course, AAFCO labels it complete based on what? Is Beneful complete? Yes, according to AAFCO.

Think for yourself. Do your own research.

I feed the homemade dog food recipe on Dinovite’s site. It includes a couple of dinovite products. And I use their wonderful shampoo. My poor Tulip was so miserable for YEARS. Allergists, dermatologists, medications. The people at dinvoite helped me to detox her which took about 5months. Then we continued and to this day, you would not recognize this dog! She’s perky, beautiful, and completely healthy. Yes, healthy.

You eat highly processed food for 7 years…in a dry kibble….and see how you look and feel.

And for those who have not even used this product, you have no basis for opinion, in my opinion.

#51926 Report Abuse
    Jason A

“If you are not satisfied with Dinovite Supplements we will gladly refund your purchase price. This means we will stand behind your initial purchase of product and refund your purchase price if you are not happy with the results. You are responsible for the cost of shipping. We do not refund shipping or pay to have returns shipped back to Dinovite, Inc.”

I would buy their products if the guarantee included the shipping cost.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by Jason A.
    #53251 Report Abuse
    Punky T

Hi! I have a 19 month old French Bulldog (Gigi). She developed small, crusty bumps under her fur (on back and upper legs). She was not scratching them. The vet said it’s staph infection and gave her 2-weeks on antibiotic. They cleared up about 95%, but within a week off the antibiotic they were back. So vet put her on another 2 weeks; they’ve started to clear again, and he will reevaluate this week. In the meantime I ordered Dinovite. Gigi is a small Frenchie, 16.3 pounds, so I have been giving her 1 tablespoon (or 1/2 scoop) with both meals, am/pm. She eats Orijens “6 Fish” dry food and loves it. Occasionally she has an itchy butt and licks her paws, and has some eye goo, too. I’m hoping that the Dinovite will help. I also got the Omega oils, but am finishing up the brand I already have for her first.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Also… do you store Dinovite in the fridge?

Thank you so much!

#53266 Report Abuse
    Nita P

I’m not familiar with that brand if food, but if you like it, I would stick with it. For my dog Bella, I actually switched her to just white rice & ground elk meat when her ear issues got really bad this summer. I had ordered the dynovite and it arrived a few days after we went to the vet. The vet gave us a round of meds that really made her feel bad – she lost complete control of her bladder & just laid around with no energy. Took her off meds after 2 days. Kept with the rice and elk (you can use rice and chicken too) with broth mixed with the Dynovite and the Lickychops omega oils. I had a different dog in 2 weeks. Her personality changed completely too! Her ears (yeast infection, allergies) cleared up, the bad breath got better (it’s not all gone), her coat is amazing and she sheds about 10% of what it was before dynovite. She also had the paw chewing & licking issues, which are supposedly allergies. From my personal human issues, antibiotics caused yeast issues (along w/ diet choices) and I see that in my dog too. I read a lot of the info on the dynovite website and I wasn’t up for the raw diet, but I did learn a lot from their suggestions. I went to the rice/meat only with the dynovite to clear any food allergies we might be dealing with (just like I’ve done w/ myself in the past).

I don’t store it in the fridge – just in an airtight container.

We recently lost our oldest dog & I stopped the dynovite for about 7-8 days (just for no reason other than grief forgetfulness) and Bella’s paw chewing came right back. Needless to say I’ve now had a 2nd round of proof this supplement works for my dog.

I moved Bella to a full serving pretty fast and she tolerated it very well. I’m very pleased with Dynovite!

Hope that helps!

#53272 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

You don’t have to store it in the fridge, but you do need to keep the container tightly closed. If the skin thing becomes continuous, then it may be a reaction to the food and you may need to switch.

#53291 Report Abuse
    Punky T

Thank you, theBCnut. I switched Gigi when the bumps broke out the first time; took her off the Orijens mixed protein source, and now have her on Six Fish, which my doctor approved of. I will know more by end of this week when he rechecks her.

And thank you, Nita P… very helpful information. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I’m curious is your Bella gained weight with Dinovite?

Thank you both1

#53292 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The problem may not be the protein source. Dogs can react to any ingredient that has protein in it, including peas, beans, lentils, corn, alfalfa, flax, etc. So it could be the other ingredients that all Orijen formulas share.

My dog reacts to chicken, many grains, tomato, and flax, which is kind of funny, because when I first started trying to figure out his issues, I used DinOvite with great results and it has a lot of flax in it, but he reacted strongly to chicken and grains and only had a very minor reaction to flax, so it took me another year to figure out that he was also reacting to that.

#53294 Report Abuse
    Punky T

theBCnut, thank you. What was your dog’s problem? Did he/she have skin issues, too?
    Gigi’s bumps sprang up almost immediately after I started adding a little freeze-dried turkey food by The Honest Kitchen (got it at Whole Foods). A friend told me about it and that it had made her Frenchie’s coat shine, and shed less. So i tried it, and as I said, the bumps sprang up almost immediately. The first ingredient is freeze dried turkey, the second organize flaxseed… :-/

#53320 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Micah has multiple food intolerances and was showing signs of IBS as an 8 week old puppy. He had skin , eye, ear, and other issues too. Now that I’ve figured out what he can’t have, he seems like a perfectly normal dog.

#53342 Report Abuse
    chocolabowner
    Participant

We tested out dinovite with our chocolate lab. She has bad allergies, and it shows with paw chewing, skin spots and hair loss.

We used dinovite for a 90 day period and she had more energy was less irritable and stopped all scratching. And her ear infections went away.

Then stopped using it and they all came back over the last year. We are starting her again on dinovite.

Dinovite saved our dog and we will continue to use it from now on.

#53751 Report Abuse
    Stacey F

Did you dog have any issues when you first started feeding Dinovite. My minpin became extremely constipated and his anal glands blew up. Our shih tzu developed an eye infection. Just wondering if we should stick with the very expensive product.

#53753 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Mine had no issues.

#53764 Report Abuse
    Sad Puppy

Well my dog died after being on Dinovite for 7 days, but she may have had a pre existing condition. She was an older dog adopted from the shelter and her medical history was unknown to me. I was trying to clear up her skin issues.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Sad Puppy.
    #54111 Report Abuse
    Liz S
    Participant

Been using Dinovite on and off for almost 10 years. Did wonders on my pug. And chihuahuas. The only treats our dogs get is their freeze dried beef treats. Have been getting the treats for many years but when certain health problems arose we did find the supplements helpful.

#55347 Report Abuse
    Linda b

I was looking into Dinivite for my 4 year old hound dog who is currently eating Pioneer Naturals Grain and Potato Free whitefish. The scratching and red underside are disheartening but it all seems to be subsiding slightly with the humidity (we live in FL) and grass allergies. After reading some comments , I am on the fence but did see something called Healthy GOO which is peanut butter, probiotics, prebiotics and the trace allergens. Anyone ever hear of Healthy Goo?

#55348 Report Abuse
    tecknik

I posted here before that Dinovite did not help my dog whatsoever but just wanted to update.. my dog got so bad that she had yeast all over her body, bad ear infections, etc. ..even when it was dead of winter. Two months ago, I bit the financial bullet and paid for allergy testing as steroids and antibiotics were the only thing that made her better. (that’s only short term use)

Turns out she is allergic to almost everything including wool, certain trees (including willow which we have and are now chopping down), dust mites, mold mites, the list goes on..

I ended up getting rid of my 5×7 and 6×9 wool pier one import rugs, thoroughly dust daily and changed the filter in the hvac system to a super good one. I’m proud to say my efforts paid off. My dog is doing well. 🙂 I recommend the allergy test. The dog needs to be sedated which makes it expensive but it paid off for her and us. My dog is no longer miserable.

#57861 Report Abuse
    dakcmumm

Thank you all for your inputs. I am the mommy of 2 mini dachshunds. My Sophie is 12 years old and Louis (rescued in April of this year) is 8. I have been feeding Sophie Lotus grain free kibble turkey and fish and Louis Merrick canned food. Louis has no teeth left due to neglect prior to his adoption. Louis has very bad odor everytime I kiss him and he sheds like crazy. Also his eyes always have some kind of discharge. Even though Sophie’s health is OK, I still think that she is not at her best. Sophie licks her paws a lot and needs to loose a few pounds. Anyway, after I read Dr. Martin Goldstein’s and Dr. Pirtcain’s books I cried so much and decided to switch my babies to raw food. I have been looking for supplements and was tempted to order Dinovite. But I stopped after I read your reviews on this forum.
    Thank you again for extending yourself and post your experiences with the product so that other people can learn from you. I am so desperate now to what supplement I should try. I know there is no perfect of anything. But I want to educate myself as much as possible and find a good enough supplement that I want to try on my babies. I will give them a fast starting tomorrow before switch them over to raw food diet.
    I am a new member to this forum. I will talk to all of you again soon.

#57863 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Lauren D:
    I know you wrote you would be back, but I thought I would post a few links for you to look at. The first has info on homemade diets (cooked and raw), the second has a chart for vitamin pre-mixes (along with other info) towards the middle of the page. Good luck and I always love to read about adoptions!

http://dogaware.com/diet/homemaderesources.html

http://dogaware.com/diet/dogfoodmixes.html

#57866 Report Abuse
    dakcmumm

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your quick info. Those websites are very good!. I am going to read now. Yes. I did not know how much a rescued makes my life so much meaningful and richer. Talk again soon. Thank you.

#59834 Report Abuse
    Alexandria A

I did the yeast starvation diet. Got the dinovite supplements. BAD MISTAKE. I feel terrible about this choixe. My Maltese and frenxh bulldog went from pooping 3x a day to once. The maltese has kept me up two nights vomiting. I followed instructions on proper feeding measurements as well as suppleness. Day four was vomiting all over house. Day 5 was canned pumpkins to help stomach issues. And today is 3am doggie vomiting all over our bedroom.

#59835 Report Abuse
    Alexandria A

I don’t know if it’s the dog yeast starvation diet? It calls for ground beef that’s organic. Egg shells blended and rice. Then cook it like a meat loaf. I just don’t understand how this receipe OR the dinovite is making my poor babies soooo sick. I might switch back to a high quality dog food like arcana or wilds.

#59838 Report Abuse
    dakcmumm

I don’t like Dinovite. Egg shells mixed with rice and bake. That sounds weird. I did place an order with Dinovite but decided to cancel it. Their rep was not very friendly to me. After trying Better In The Raw I decided to give my babies Primal. It is the Psyllium that turns me off. Most or not all of the supplement for raw feeding has psyllium. I myself was bloated with psyllium. It makes me so sick. So, even dogs might be different, I just decided that I do not like psyllium. I rather add sweet potato or pumpkin to facilitate my babies’ pooping business than use psyllium.

Anyway, Sophie and Louis love primal. I am sooooo happy. I do add more raw veggies to their food. Trust your instinct. Only you know what is best for Your Dog. There are many good products out there but each case is different. Trust your instinct.

#59840 Report Abuse
    tecknik

What some don’t realize is that your dog’s allergies may not be food related. That turned out to be the case for my dog. Here I was trying all different food concoctions, then the useless Dinovite and it turns out my dog has many environmental allergies including Wool, willow, dust mites, mold mites and about 20 other things.
    I’ve always had her on a raw diet (Abady) which is helpful and keeps her coat nice and shiny. (less poop as well due to minimal carbs, too) I also add unrefined coconut oil for more nutrients as well as a good dog vitamin.
    As for dog treats, I buy $3.99lb london broils or stew beef then grill it medium rare, then cut into bite size pieces. I will buy in bulk and freeze the remaining. It’s a little work but not that much and if you look at the ounces of a bag of good dog treats, you will find that you are paying over $10 a pound! (usually $4 to $5 for a 6oz bag of treats) It’s the best type of treat to give your dog and you know exactly what is in it.
    For my dog’s treatment, we first had the allergy testing done. Yes, it is expensive and thank God I have insurance so I get reimbursed. ($500 because dog has to have anesthesia)
    Second step was to remove as many of her allergens as possible from the environment. That meant giving up my two brand new wool carpets. :/ Now I clean an extra day a week as well to ensure there is no dust.
    Third step was medication to cure her symptoms. She had ear infections, yeast infections and sores from all the scratching. The doctor prescribed a slew of medicines including prednisone which really stopped her scratching. Unfortunately, this can not be used long term because it can be harmful to the liver and other organs.
    Fourth step (and this is where we are now) Allergy shots. It started every other day and now we are at once a week. The scratching is down to a minimal and hopefully over time her immune system will work against her allergies and she will be a happy dog for good.

#59842 Report Abuse
    Alexandria A

I’m aware that some allergies could be driven tour the environment but being my dogs never had this Issue before I know it is from either the east starvation recipe or the supplements. As far as the box saying that there is customer service that our nutritional veterinarian assistance or whatever they call it it doesn’t really seem that these people have much knowledge on the product or on any type of recipes as I have called I have been getting really limited information. I honestly and going with my instincts here and I feel as though the customer service really doesn’t care about the customers or the dogs health it is a little suspicious that they have customer service from 9 AM to 5 PM that tells me that they must have a lot of people calling with issues from the supplements.

Since both my dogs never had this type of issue before I will never use this product again.

#59846 Report Abuse
    Dave F

We tried dino-vite against our veterinarians advice. Our 9 yr old yellow lab has ear infections and chews on her paws. She is food driven and will eat anything. Started her on dino-vite and after 45 days she refused to eat her food. Called the help line, was told to mix the dv with peanut butter or yogurt. That worked for a day and she stopped eating that. When we called again, they acted like it was our fault and continued to tell us the same BS. Did not see any improvement in her issues. We were going to return the product but the cost of shipping both ways, (they will not refund shippig), it’s not worth the hassel. We should have listened to our vet. Buyer BEWARE.

#59850 Report Abuse
    Alexandria A

I think everyone has different stories with this brand. Some have positive some negative. Dave ehat do u feed ur dog now?

#60136 Report Abuse
    Douglas E

I have read this entire thread as well as similar ones. Look, other than broad brush strokes, animal nutrition has been much ignored for the majority of pet-human history. Heck, the same can be said for HUMAN nutrition. Only within the past 40 years has our nutrition become the topic of serious scientific inquiry. This has been a natural development in thought from deeper insights into cellular biology, biochemistry and immunology. The science of human nutrition is quite new.

How then can we expect to understand other species’ specific nutritional needs? We hardly understand the human organism yet in that regard. If human nutritional science is in its’ infancy, canine nutrition is only embryonic. That research it further complicated by gross breed differences, historically poor food quality diets, congenital and/our genetic weaknesses from severely poor breeding, medical thought that simply treats symptoms and a new problem- canine geriatrics.

A dog in the wild would typically have a life expectancy less than half of our pets’. Nutritional deficiency plays a major part in that mortality. And no, an all raw and only carnivorous diet is not what a dog would get in the wild. While dogs are highly adapted to having a majority of the diet be animal proteins, they have a much greater variety. Even from only consuming prey animals, they will eat the contents of those animals’ intestines and stomach(s) which would include “probiotics,” yeasts (naturally occurring intestinal fauna,) and various vagetation such as primitive grains. Those grains would be partially digested, yes, so raw gains would likely be less digestible. Canines would also eat the high fat organ meats, hair, skin and bone. It is important to note that the high need of calcium, as well as other bone minerals, for dogs is well noted these days. It is necessary nutritionally for Canines to occaisionally consume vegetable, or even mineral, matter. Not only must they do so to enable gut function, they must do so for biological need. Not all needs are met by prey. This is why in the absence of adequate herbivorous prey, dogs will suplement by what pet owners would consider pica.

All that being said (now that I have presented myself in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral the Very Model of a Modern Major General, ) the answers are not simple. But the guidelines are.

1. Use common sense, canine nutrition is imperfect at best
    2. Do not presume to be an expert, or that human remedy necessarily applies
    3. Do not rely on diet to cure medical conditions that may really be microbial or parastic infections, disease or biological defecit aside from nutrition
    4. Realize that isolating an immunological response, whether from allergic reaction or not, is a difficult and time consuming process
    5. Use keen observation when using any new food source or additive, including veterinarian recommended treatments. Don’t simply go with the flow thinking that treatment course is the fix-it for sure (OK, preaching to the choir I think there…)
    6. Each dog is as different biologically as we are. If it does improve health in some, it may not in others or it may actually be detrimental
    7. A business, or product, that is intentionally or negligently harmful will not survive. Caveat Emptor
    8. etc. etc. etc…

Here’s hoping great health to all you and all your furry families

D

#60153 Report Abuse
    Alexandria A

Douglas I enjoyed that post!!! You’re right. 100% thanks for that

#67138 Report Abuse
    Adam H

Hello everyone, I have great news and horrible news all of which are absolutely true without a doubt and promise if anyone wants to question me then go on go on and leave me alone period!

1. I don’t work for dynovite
    2. I’ve spent thousands at numerous vets (I refuse to call them anything other then that die please)!
    A.steriod shots and antibiotics…….
    Money please
    B.we have to do a biopsy…….el mula
    C.we need to wait 45 days off the steroids in
    Order to have a successful blood screen for
    allergies……buy these products to help
    Including eat plugs…….give me money
    Oh the tests aren’t very accurate we have to take our time and find out by feeding the dog 120 dollar bags of food and adding proteins.
    More money please.
    3. All white pit mix with blue eyes.
    A. Only kills three children per week but if your and angry middle
    Aged………he takes no prisoners.
    4. Added dynovite to a good dry food and some raw food with it and three months later presto. All hair back and licking and itching gone.

I really think vets know about the nutritional deficiencies in dog food and exploit this to there advantage and stab them with needles.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Adam H. Reason: Spellcheck
Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.