DinoVite

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Author

grover

Anybody have any comments on this supplement? My Golden Retriever mix, 70lbs, 2 1/2 yrs plus has struggled with paw licking and ear infections. Its the dead of winter now, nothing is pollinating, I have a large capacity Hepa Filter running non stop inside, no carpeting, and I have fed him Taste of the Wild from the start and now Earthborn (Grain Free). Looking at the DinoVite web page I see grains as the usual culprits for allergic reactions followed by nutritional deficiencies which the DinoVite product claims to address.

Mom2Cavs

Well….no, I have no problem with it. In fact, I’ve used it before. I must say that I didn’t see a change in my dogs either way (better or worse condition using it), but my dogs didn’t have any issues to address to begin with so maybe that was it. I was using it to assure they were getting enough nutrition at the time. I’ve done lots of different things over the years lol. I think it’s similar to missing link but I do think it might have some enzymes or probiotics in it, where as missing link doesn’t (one formula now does, I found out…Wellness formula). The company is not that far from where I live. It’s located in Kentucky, right over the river from me, so I could actually pick up the product if I wanted. The owners really seem to know their stuff. I’ve met the woman (half of the married owners) and she’s really nice. Their customer service, in my experience, has been great. They advocate a more species appropriate diet, as well, and give you a “recipe” for making one with ground beef and adding their product on their site. They have various products for sell, not just Dinovite. They have omegas, natural flea products, natural shampoos, treats, and products for cats. Bottom line, I don’t think it’d hurt to try their stuff. Btw, they do recommend trying it for 90 days at minimum to see the difference. And I will admit that I probably didn’t use it that long before I stopped. Some people think it’s rather expensive, as well, but I think it’s on par with lots of other things like it. I hope this helps some.

theBCnut

I have used it as part of my dogs diet when he started showing multiple symptoms such as yeasty ears, nonstop scratching, mucousy stools, etc. I made their yeast starvation diet with a few tweaks and fed my dog that in the morning and Brothers Complete Allergy Formula in the evening. I was very pleased with my dogs progress. It took about 2 1/2 months for him to be completely better, but you wouldn’t know he had a problem now. I have never used DinOvite as a supplement to regular kibble.

Mom2Cavs

Patty….if I ever wanted to feed a homemade raw diet, I would try their “recipe”. It looks easy enough and I would add their supplement to it.

I also forgot to say that they are mail order only, unless you live close enough to pick it up.

theBCnut

Hi Jan

It was the first homemade recipe I tried and the reason I went ahead and started feeding raw. It was easy enough to follow and really easy to tweak as I learned more. I rotate everything including supplements, so I still use DinOvite every few days. I’ve also been buying grinds from Hare Today that work really well with whichever supplement mix I want to add. DinOvite plus SuperOmega plus a grind is super simple.

InkedMarie

I don’t even know what Dinovite is but with your dogs issues, I’d feed a chicken’ beef’ grain and potato free food

cdrlin
    Participant

I give dinovite to my 8 yr old miniature dachshund. It cleared up his skin issues. His ears are no longer red, his hair has grown back, he no longer chews his paws, and he has quit scooting. In addition he smells better. I feed him EVO small red bites and he only gets dehydrated liver for treats. I am a believer in dinovite with lick a chops

Tulip

I actually use Dinovite and have been using it for years. I have used it with dog food and have made dog food for my dog, both. It worked really well for my 2 oldest dogs who passed away a few years ago (at ages 15 and 16) to keep them healthy up until the very end. And it keeps my 3 current dogs in top notch health. I have called and talked with the coaches and reps there too and they are really very helpful.

I really look at the list of ingredient to make a judgment about food and pet products. This one has a great list of whole food ingredients.

gigiandcole
    Participant

One of my dogs has a reaction to grains. I did not realize Dinovite contains grains. She got really sick within 3 weeks of consuming the supplement. It took me awhile to figure out what was causing it. If you are feeding your dogs “grain free” foods, do not use Dinovite.

theBCnut

If you mean flax seed, it’s a seed not a grain. I can’t feed one of my dogs grains, but he can handle the flax just fine, though I wouldn’t give this all the time. I have other issues with too much flax in the diet. All dogs are different, some will handle it fine, others won’tbe able to handle it at all. It is very important to be aware of all the ingredients your dog gets. Knowing your dog doesn’t tolerate DinOvite may help you to avoid other “grain free” foods that he also wouldn’t be able to handle.

Hound Dog Mom

DinoVite contains sorghum which is a grain.

theBCnut

Yep, and they even list it as ground grain sorghum, which just goes to prove I can’t see what is right in front of my face sometimes. And that maybe my pup doesn’t have a problem with sorghum.

grover

A feedback to my post. Several weeks into using Dinovite I see paw licking has ceased and ear infections have been on hold too. I’ll be convinced though if this continues though the summer. Grains or no grains the product claims to improve nutritional support. I have had my dogs on grain free dog foods but I know they get grains from good natured people handing out treats.

GSDsForever
    Participant

Sorry to be the party pooper & naysayer, BUT . . .

I just do NOT think this product is worth spending the money on. I think the ingredients are very generic & see nothing special about it to make it some wonder product or justify its prices. It’s apparently all over the radio & TV right now, and I’ve had several people ask me about it.

I think there are much better supplements out there (and cleaner/purer) at lower cost. There are some ingredients that even strike me as wholly unnecessary and not beneficial in any way. And I think other ingredients in its various versions should and can easily come from a good food.

If it works for you, great, good luck. But I think it’s a waste of money and not a very well designed product with highest quality of ingredients.

This product seems about as magical as all those PetSmart/Petco supplement aisle products that claim to get rid of shedding, and then contain very basic cheap cooking oils and bargain basement vitamin mix.

grover

Update: so far no paw licking and no ear infection. Both were chronic ongoing symptoms before. Was it the Dinovite or did he simply outgrow his problems? Don’t know. I got him at 6 weeks and he has always been on grain free dog food, first Taste of the Wild and currently Earthborn. Both have decent ingredients for a dry processed food and both rank highly on this site. Something wasn’t enough however. I like the results so far so I’ll keep using the Dinovite. Its an ongoing rubber meets the road experiment. If we go a year with no ear infections I’ll be a believer.

Anonymous

I found Dog FOod Advisor quite a long time ago-actually from a person who works at Dinovite. I really enjoy this site. I must make some comments here, although I have never commented on a blog. Dinovite saved my dog’s life. My dog came to me as a rescue that was going to be put down due to so many unexplained health problems. This dog had been through it all from steroids, skin scrapings, antibiotics, medicated sprays and creams, special dips, shampoos. You name it, they tried it on her. Poor Lola.

I took her to actually make her last days in a place where she would feel loved. But it was hard because she stunk and had such balding, awful skin. No one wanted to touch her.

I got her on a good 5 star kibble (yes, I used this site to find a good food for her). And I added Dinovite to her diet. Lola really liked it and I thought if it made her happy, it was the least I could do. I thought she was dying. I also looked at the ingredients and realized that I also take a number of the things that are in this and I know how it keeps my energy level up and keeps me healthy.

Well, that was 2 years ago. Lola did not die. In fact, she’s a happy girl with NO health issues at all. She is 6 or 7 years old (a good guess) and I’m sure she has at least that much more life to live. It was a long road but little by little, I saw her energy return, then her hair start to regrow. HEr awful gray, bumpy skin got nice and pink. And one day I realized she did not stink anymore. Instead of making her last days bearable, she has made my life wonderful. It’s been about a year since she has had any problems at all. She doesn’t even shed, only during shedding season.

So, unless you have actually tried it, I don’t think you have much to say. The people at Dinovite have been wonderful to work with every step of the way. They made suggestions. Pointed me at this site. Helped make good decisions for Lola’s diet. Encouraged me when I wnated to give up. Their products are made in the USA. And it’s hard to find a business that is this helpful these days.

And if you don’t like how it’s working for your dog they have a good return policy too.

So that’s my two cents for what it’s worth. I just thought someone who uses their products regularly should speak up. I use Dinovite and Lickochops. I also use the peppermint shampoo and Lola absolutely loves the free treats that come in the box.

grover

I think the Raw Food Advocates would point out that regardless of the quality of the ingredients, even in the 4-5 star levels for dry dog foods, that much is lost to the heating process. What bodes well for these higher levels is the lack of substandard or bad elements. Maybe this is the void that products like Dinovite fills in. Their product is freeze dried and has not been subjected to the heating process(?). Grover’s Mom quit feeding at about 6 weeks. Maybe if he was supported by his mother’s milk another few weeks he wouldn’t be so sensitive to his diet or environment and I wouldn’t be looking for additions to his nutrition now. He has always been on so called quality processed dog food but something wasn’t enough. To date he has been doing Dinovite for about 10 weeks and no paw licking, no ear infections. I am pretty happy about this direction. One vet had suggested I put him on a maintenance Benadryl type product. A ridiculous solution to a dog barely 2 yrs old.

theBCnut

Many, many puppies are completely weaned by the time they are 5 to 6 weeks old, so I don’t think that is the reason, but my dog has the same issues, and I agree with you, I don’t want to start medicating for life with a young dog, especially when watching their diet takes care of the problem.

winifred
    Participant

My comment on DinoVite: do not purchase this supplement without speaking with your vet first. My dog has had skin problems for the past few years, and my vet treats her with prednisone and other allergy medications. I feed her very high quality food. My husband heard Dinovite advertised on the radio and we decided to try it. After 2 days of giving her the supplement according to the instructions on the box, she had a horrible allergic reaction. Her eyes swelled up and she developed hives all over her body. She vomited repeatedly. We had to treat her with Benadryl and Prednisone to control the inflammation. The company is refunding my money, but none of my shipping charges. Not only do I have to pay to ship the product back to them for my refund, but they won’t credit my original shipping charges. The representative on the phone expressed no concern about my situation. I would never purchase from this company again.

Heineken66
    Participant

Whatever you do, do not ordre Dinovite. The product made my dog urinate blood within a few days of beginning the diet.
    The shipping costs are outrageous and the company representatives only care about making the green, they couldn’t careless about their customers and their customers pets.
    Talk to your vet about this product before you even consider it and I bet you will change your mind.
    If you know anyone else who had a horrible experience with Dinovite please encourage them to voice their experience to prevent future harm to more animals.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.