šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Y

I’m trying to find a good, safe dental chew for my dogs. I have heard mixed reviews on greenies though they seem to be the most popular. One of my beagles can be an aggressive chewer too. I remember reading greenies should not be swallowed in pieces. My beagle tends to chew a piece then swallow it whereas my other two beagles will thoroughly chew their greenie. Soooooo, I stopped giving greenies to them because one not not chew through the whole thing. I bought nature’s recipes dental chews today but honestly am not sure if they are good or not.

I do brush my dogs teeth and to be honest, it’s not consistent. Sometimes its 2 or 3 times a week for a few months then it’s once a week, sometimes once every couple of weeks. They have had dental cleanings too. So overall their teeth are pretty good.

Any suggestions on good dental chews/treats?

#46816 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Yes, beef rib bones!

#46838 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

We give our dogs bully sticks once a week. We put them in vise grips first so they will not try to swallow them whole!

#46845 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I like rib bones top. I also use a brand called whimzees about once a week

#46863 Report Abuse
    Sarah Y

with the rib bones wouldn’t they splinter off? I might be too afraid to try that. We have done bully sticks. The only problem is with one beagle, she is a senior, has lost 4 teeth, and can’t chew bully sticks well. we have done tendons before and that seems to work.

I haven’t heard of Whimzees before. You reminded me though….there is “Get Naked” dental chews and we have had success with those. I am going to try and see if I can find them again.

#46864 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sarah, raw bones don’t splinter.

#46897 Report Abuse
    Sarah Y

oh ok….so do you mean getting them from a butcher then? I was thinking of the cooked ones you can buy online but those are the ones that splinter (I believe)

#46927 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Sarah-
    Yes, you could get them from the butcher. Or, our feed store and Mud Bay sells an assortment of bones, necks, backs and such. They are packaged by various companies such as Nature’s Variety.

#46928 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

You can order a variety of good chews from http://www.bestbullysticks.com too,, they have all kinds of great stuff, not just bullies

#46936 Report Abuse
    Sarah Y

ahhhh i do order from best bully sticks. We get the tendons, rings, lamb pizzles, and curly sticks. Never thought about those kinds of things. I always thought about the greenies and stuff similar to that. good to know i am all set LOL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.