đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    don h

what would be the daily amount of vitamin c and cranberry supplements to give a 9lbs 8 month old puppy to lower urine ph and which dog food . She is on Merrick dry puppy kibbles now.

#89688 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Did you check the search engine here? /forums/search/bladder+stones/

Excerpts from previous posts:

As your vet will confirm, dogs that have a tendency to make bladder stones have to be on a special diet the rest of their lives, this is a serious condition and it just doesn’t go away.

I would comply with the prescription food for now.
    And don’t forget, water, water, and more water added to the diet. Ask the vet 
.but I believe this helps big time. And frequent bathroom breaks, opportunities to urinate.

“My dog had both (struvite and calcium oxalate), no symptoms till the age of 11, started with UTIs. He has had no recurrences in 4 years since his emergency surgery.

“There is a genetic component and some breeds are more prone to bladder stones”.

“Anyway, if you do nothing else, add water and take her out to urinate frequently”.

PS: Soak the kibble, even the prescription food in water overnight in the fridg, add more water prior to serving. Keep the bladder flushed. Maybe add a little canned prescription food as a topper.

Don’t add supplements unless recommended by a veterinarian that has examined the dog.
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=cranberry

PS: Start brushing the teeth once a day, see YouTube for how to videos, small breeds tend to have lousy teeth.

#89689 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I would not give Vitamin C without your vets okay.

#89894 Report Abuse
    don h

from don h . I spoke with our vet today he said give her 100mg vitamin c daily and that alone will drop her Ph below 7 ideal around 6 to 6.5 .That will stop crystal formation.Only one problem where do I get vitamin C chews or tabs. (not a multi vitamin)pet co and petsmart have multi vitamins

#89895 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Call your vet and leave a message for him to call you back when he has a minute regarding what vitamin C product he recommends for your dog, and clarify the dosage. Don’t forget, add water to meals.

#90628 Report Abuse
    Susan W

My mom’s dog had crystals in her urine several months ago. She lives in an apartment. I was wondering if being limited to 3 or 4 trips outside per day contributed to the dog’s problem? Any thoughts?

#90631 Report Abuse
    don h

Susan , our vet say 4 x a day is fairly normal. We have found the crystal problem is either do to diet or genetics . my pups problem is either /one we have been changing diets every 10 days the best diet got rid of UTI , crystals and dropped her ph to 5.5 (to acidic) so we are working on modifying protein % in the kibbles plus 1/8 of slice of Hills cd . your moms 11year old is probably do to diet also I would chk with the vet for a plan. Genetic problem would have shown up much earlier in that dogs life

#90637 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Susan W: it may not contribute to the problem but I was told that when my dog had crystals, one of the vital things is being able to urinate often….also getting plenty of water in the diet. Plenty of water means plenty of bathroom trips which means keeping the bladder fli=usher which is important.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.