🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

Does anyone know where I can find a crate with the extra deep pan and a raised floor? I’m normally not a fan of these, but 14 year old Ginger has trouble holding her pee in for extended periods of time, and the concrete in my closet where I keep her gated in permanently smells like dog pee because of it. I’d rather clean out the tray every day when I get home after work than have to scrub my floor and wash her bedding every day. I’m sure she’d also appreciate not having to lay in whatever mess she’s made.

I’m looking for a small one, 20-24 inches (I’ll be taking her shopping tomorrow for a more exact size and report back), and don’t want to spend more than $50 on it, including any shipping. If anyone knows of any stores or websites that has them, please let me know!

#55794 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Do you mean more like a rabbit hutch? Wouldn’t she be standing on wire though? Have you been checking Craig’s List. That is where I have bought most of our crates and gates.

#55796 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It’s the same idea, but it’s still a dog cage. The pans are like 2-3 inches deep, and there’s a wire floor above the pan. The wire is closer together than the floor in a hutch, too. She’s got a bed that would go in there with her so she could get off the wire. It’s the cats bed, actually– she stole it lol

I’ve been looking all over craigslist, but everyone thinks their dog cages are made of gold, and charge new price for used cages. I also can’t find one with a raised floor. Well, I did find one, but the post was almost a month old and they haven’t responded yet :/

#55806 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Akari. I don’t know if you have a regular crate (wire type). Anyway, Midwest makes the wire type crates, Midwest then sells the wire floor grid for the crates which you then put inside the crate and it has little sections on all sides that allow it to sit nicely hanging like on the bar that runs around the entire crate. I believe it’s the second one from the bottom. I am doing a really lousy job of explaining this. Anyway, go to Petsmart’s web page and put in midwest crates and then midwest crate floor grid. You can see the pictures of how this works. If you don’t have a Petsmart near you or if they don’t carry both items, you can order from their on line store that delivers for free $50.00 and over. They are also having a 20% off sale right now. You can also go to Midwest’s web site for more pictures. The Midwest icrates I believe is their less expensive line (the crates can fold) they make floor grids for that model. They also have a Midwest life stages line that is more expensive and make floor grids for that line. Be sure the order the right floor grid. Don’t worry about thinking that the folding one is too flimsy. It’s not. I have a very small one from when Katie was a tiny puppy to keep her contained when she had luxating patella surgery and had to be confined for 10 days. I always use vary kennels but I bought the midwest so that she could see all around her for the 10 days and not feel so confined. The reason I bring this up is that that was over four years ago and I have yet to be able to collapse the darn crate. LOL. Hope you haven’t gone out shopping for a crate yet.

#55819 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I have the crate Dori wrote about in the folding model for Bobby. I bought a large one without a floor grid for him to grow into and it is very sturdy. I did buy the casters for it so I could move it easily. It worked very well for Bobby.

Dori: I don’t use it right now and put it in my basement storage area a few years ago. I couldn’t figure out how to fold mine either. lol For the past two years every time I am doing laundry I think about folding the cage up so I have more storage space, but I never do. 😉

#55823 Report Abuse
    Dori

Funny Bobby dog, I still have the directions and even following them I cannot fold it up. Thankfully it’s up in the attic so it’s not in my way. I hate going into the attic so I just don’t see it. I only thought of it when I went on line earlier today to see if I could figure out some solution for Akari’s dilemma with Ginger. Every once in a while I would break out the instructions and try to close it up. Nope! Can’t do it. I even saved the box thinking I’d figure it out, put it back in it’s box and it would take up less space. Not happening. Yet it was so easy to unfold. So glad it wasn’t just me. If you ever figure it out, let me know what the trick is. LOL Thx

#55824 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Check out the DrsFosterSmith site. They have lots of crates on sale now.

#55836 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks for the help guys! I did end up going to Petsmart and buying one online from them. Went to get it in store but they don’t carry Midwest in store anymore, so the guy ordered it from his tablet for me, and the wire floor part, too. $47 all said and done with the 20% off. Not bad at all! Should be here this weekend-ish. Yay!

So you guys are saying that you don’t know how to work a folding crate…?? LOL It’s not that hard! XD

#55837 Report Abuse
    Dori

OH Akari. Just wait and see. Assembly is very easy, can do it with your eyes closed and one hand behind your back. Unfolding it is an entirely different story. LOL! Glad you got to order from Petsmart for the crate and floor grid with the 20% discount. Let us know how it all works out.

You can also purchase wee wee pads and just put them down on the floor of the crate when it comes. It will make clean up easier for you. Just think of Ginger as a puppy.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Dori.
    #55843 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Giiiiiirl, I’ve been folding and unfolding dog cages since I was a kid! It’s not that hard LOL

Potty pads are a good idea. She won’t use them placed in the floor, but a large one in the bottom of the crate if she ever learns to not pee in it as often might be an idea. My thought on the raised floor was that I could just take the pan outside and hose it out. She really does make a huge mess in my closet several times a day, every time she’s locked up. Potty pads would break me at this rate, but if she ever figures out not to pee in her space, and only has accidents every now and then (rather than blatantly, outright going when ignored), that would be nice.

#55844 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

My crate is great for storing throw pillows. lol

Dori:
    I think this is our crate. It’s been so long since I looked at it and I am sure I don’t have my assembly instructions anywhere. Warning: This video will make you dizzy, but it is very adorable!! 🙂

#55845 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I always just pop the top tabs out by pushing the top of the cage in and pulling the front, then once the tabs release, I push the front in. I think you guys are just special 😉

#55846 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Seems pretty self explanatory, I don’t know what my problem was. lol It definitely would have been much easier carrying that thing down a flight of steps folded! One of these days I will try it again. I don’t know where I will put the stuff I am storing inside… 😉

#55855 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

You could get one of those new storage bin things! They’re all the rage these days LOL

#55869 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Easy Peasy! Lol!

#55878 Report Abuse
    Dori

It seems pretty simple in the video. The paper with the instructions…..not so much! But at this point, like Bobby dog, it is a storage bin in the attic. I have things stored inside and on top and since I don’t need it for anything I think I’ll just leave well enough alone. If I close it up and store it then I’ll just have to go out and buy a storage bin to do exactly what I’m using it for now. So I’ve decided that instead of thinking of it as Katie’s small post surgical crate that I couldn’t fold up (after seeing Bobby dog’s video I haven’t got a clue why I couldn’t) I’m calling it the “storage bin up in the attic”. Problem solved and I don’t have to mess with it. Yay!

Bobby dog. Thanks for the video. It was making me dizzy and that kids voice I found kind of irritating after a while. lol I say keep yours as a storage bin also until you actually need it. You may never need it again and as we both know, it makes quite a nice little storage bin inside and on top.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.