Cost of raw

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Cost of raw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

I see on various forums the cost of feeding raw. I feed ground raw. I recently found a NH based raw food company that does drop off’s for a $10 charge & no minimum order. The prices are very good. We have a new dog arriving tomorrow & I want all three to be on raw.

My husband did the math & we can feed our three dogs (one 24lb, one 30lb & the other 33lb) for $152, including the $10 meet up fee, for 6 weeks. I was shocked! I didn’t think it could be that cheap!

Does anyone else figure out how much they pay for raw? I know whole meat prey model would be cheaper but thats not happening any time soon.

#73718 Report Abuse
    Ellen D

That’s a great price! I have two co-ops that have delivery drop offs near me in SE Michigan. One of them only does bulk (cases of 40 pounds), and the other one will do individual tubs/containers. I don’t have a chest freezer yet so I have only ordered from the second one. I haven’t done a ton of shopping around yet – only started raw feeding about 6 weeks ago. Between what I ordered and finding a special on whole chickens for $.40/lb, I think I’ve probably spent about $120 for that 6 weeks for my one 35 lb puppy. Granted, I got a little eager and ordered some fancy proteins – llama, beaver, and emu which inflated that price a bit but I got so excited about them lol.

Once I get my chest freezer, which will be free as a gift from a friend who is upgrading hers, I can order from the better priced co-op, and I think it will work out to be about $80/month if I want to really rotate in a variety of proteins (venison, duck, quail, rabbit), or I could get as low as about $60/month if I stuck to just beef, chicken, and turkey. This is just calculating pure pre-ground raw (which are whole animals with meat, bones, organs, some I have to add organs). The 40 cents a pound chickens seem to be a common deal around here, so if I stock up on those when I find them I could cut that even lower. I broke down the chickens and feed them as whole bony pieces, so no cost for a meat grinder. I have a local middle eastern/halal market that sells me goat liver and kidney at 29 cents a pound, and that’s such a minor cost that I haven’t counted that in the totals. They also throw in free duck and chicken feet for me whenever I go in there.

I set my budget at $100/month when I first got my puppy 9-10 weeks ago, and I was definitely spending that and then some in the first few weeks when I was feeding kibble and cans.

#74447 Report Abuse
    Vincent L

What is the NH based co? Pawfectly Raw NewEngland?
    I am considering them myself. I am hoping to get my older Schnauzers with some teeth removed on a good ground raw diet without spending a ton of money. My son (and us) also own a hound mix boy who is 1 year old and would like to get him started on a prey model/ with some ground raw as well. He is about 70 lbs.

#74486 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Vincent,
    Yes, that is the place. Her website is being rebuilt; are you on fb? If ys, join her group, same name. You can see the delivery schedule. I believe the meet-up’s are every six weeks, it’s $10 charge for that and I believe you can go to her, Amherst, for pickup. They have whole meats as well as grinds. It’s the cheapest I’ve found.
    Where are you located?

#74488 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Marie-
    Did you get your new dog yet?

#74489 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

He has come and gone. While he was fine with us, he was very aggressive with my grandaughter. She came close to getting a bite. We were on a foster to adopt program and he went back to the first foster home on Sunday.

#74494 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Oh, sorry to hear he didn’t work out. You gotta protect those grand babies!

#74511 Report Abuse
    Vincent L

InkedMarie, we are in Beverly, MA. I did find the FB page for Pawfectly Raw NE and saw the schedules. I asked her for a spreadsheet of the pricing and products as she was offering to send them to people while the site was down. I will probably give them a try.

#74515 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Good, Vincent! My first pickup will be July 12th in Concord NH.

#74692 Report Abuse
    Marta W

hi there,
    i live in southern metro west and i was looking into pawfectly raw myself but couldnt get info on the meat, do they have the meat inspected at all? is it good quality? what do you know about them?
    At the moment i am doing victory dog food and it costs me around $16 for 5lbs of ground chicken mix with vegg in it, turkey is ~$17 anf beef ~25 for 5lbs which is too steep for me but i would like to introduce diff proteins to my dog diet

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.