šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nicole G

I have a 5 to 7-year-old chihuahua that periodically gets painfully constipated. She typically doesn’t drink a lot of water (in my thinking, anyway). She has been on Royal Canin Chihuahua food along with the canned adult. She hasn’t pooped in 2 or 3 days now and I really don’t want it to get to the painful stage she will occasionally get to once or twice a year. I have been mixing a little coconut oil in with a quarter of the canned food to get her to eat and hoped that it would lubricate her intestinal tract. I DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!!!!! Please help…

#87616 Report Abuse
    anonymously

It may not be about the food, I have a senior peke who needs help to have a bowel movement. The anal sphincters sometimes don’t work as well as these small breeds age.
    I have a medical background so I deal with it, I realize that not everyone can.
    Have your vet examine the dog and advise you.

Add water to the food dish, they will lap it up to get to the food, this may help.
    Don’t free feed, 2 or 3 small meals per day, and increase exercise, even a couple of 10 minute walks around the block every day can make a big difference.

Just my opinion, but I would stop all supplements including the coconut oil, unless the vet advises you differently.

#87617 Report Abuse
    anonymously

PS: via the search engine here: /forums/topic/fecal-incontinenance-in-10-year-old-dog/

#87622 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Coconut oil is digestible, so it won’t lubricate the digestive tract. You may need to add a source of fiber to her foods. Pumpkin puree is a good source of fiber and you can freeze it in ice cube trays to get a good serving size for your dog. You can also run healthy greens through the blender and freeze those into serving size cubes to give one with every meal. There is no down side to adding fresh foods to a dogs diet except the little bit of extra work, but your dog could get all kinds of benefits from it.

#87624 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, change her food look at the ingredients in the Royal Canine, it will be the Maize & Beet Pulp constipating her…Royal Canine adds those ingredients in their vet prescription diets for dogs with IBD to bind them up….. have a look a Wellness brands or Canidae brands both brands have the matching wet tin foods, your better off stopping the kibble & feeding wet tin foods this way she’ll get more fluids..
    I have a dog with IBD & what makes Patch go toilet is pumkin, boiled pumkin. I think you can buy pumkin in tins in America, add 1 teaspoon per meal & ajust as needed, but I would be looking for a more premium natural holistic diet, all those Royal Canine specific Breed kibbles have the same ingredients, some have more fat & less fat, more protein, less protein etc have a look at the ingredients, no good…

#87630 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

If you think she isn’t drinking much, add water to the food.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.