Coconut oil Recommendation

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Coconut oil Recommendation

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chris

I was looking to buy a thing of coconut oil after doing some research on brands that are good, I found none to my likings. I seen several people say the Swansons has a weird chemical taste, I seen Nativa go moldy quickly. So anyone got any they’ve tried and is very good?

#74180 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Chris-
    I’ve had good luck with the jar I bought at Trader Joe’s!

#74183 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Chris:
    I use Spectrum Unrefined Organic (Wal-Mart, grocery stores, drug stores, on-line) or Better Body Foods (BJ’s, on-line) Extra Virgin Organic coconut oils. I use both of these coconut oils for cooking as well as share with my zoo. I have never had any issues with flavor or shelf life with either product.

#74186 Report Abuse
    Dori

The coconut oil that I use is Coco-Therapy. I’ve been using it for a long time, have gone through many jars, varying sizes, and have never had a problem with any of them. Oh, and it actually smells like coconuts. I use it myself also, not just for the dogs.

#74204 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

I also use coco therapy. I used several others before finding this one and I love it.

#74206 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I use Nutiva all the time. I’ve never had an issue with mold. I have it on Amazon Subscribe and Save.

#74212 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

I use Nature’s Way Extra Virgin Organic, pure and unrefined. I give to the girls but I use a lot more for myself in cooking since it smells and tastes like coconut. It may take a month to several months to use a jar and it always stays fresh tasting with no mold issues.

#74225 Report Abuse
    Naturella

The one I swear by is sold by Costco – $17.99 or so for a 54oz-jar! And it is pure, extra-virgin, organic, cold-pressed, unrefined, the whole shebang. Love it! We use it in my homemade products and to eat for us and Bruno, and on Bruno’s coat. It is called Carrington Farms.

#74290 Report Abuse
    chris

Wow, thanks everyone for all the recommendations! This will definitely help me out as I was having troubles finding other brands. ๐Ÿ™‚

#74295 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

i just picked up some at walmart. is it safe for cats? just wondering cuz she seems to love it. its the same one Naturella uses.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by Pitlove.
    #74323 Report Abuse
    chris

Great Pitlove ๐Ÿ™‚

In my other thread I had mentioned I was working on buying a bag of Orijen to try out. I found out non of my local pet stores sell it and nor can they get it in from there distributor apparently. I was thinking of just ordering it offline, can anyone recommend a place online that is decent and cheap? I tried chewy, but to me amazon has it cheaper then them. Chewy always seems to be more expensive.

#74324 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Chris, have you tried petflow.com and wag.com? They may have decent prices. Just open all 4 sites at once and compare the prices of Orijen.

#74326 Report Abuse
    Naturella

@pitlove – my understanding is that Coconut oil is great for cats too but I’d ask in the Cat food recommendations thread.

#74391 Report Abuse
    chris

Thanks Naturella for the other sites as I’ll check them out right now. I happened to bought another bag of Merricks Back Country for him for now.

#74392 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hey Chris:
    It always pays to compare prices from different sites! I order from Petflow frequently and have always been happy with their service and prices; their delivery is fast too. Even if you don’t order anything from them right now sign up for their e-mail alerts, they have pretty good one day sales that I take advantage of quite often!

#74401 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I second Bobby Dog – I get emails with deals ALL the time, sometimes I use them, sometimes I don’t. But it is always good to know! ๐Ÿ™‚

#74426 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Chris!
    Everyone here has given you some great advice. I’ve used several of the brands mentioned here. I’ve never had a problem with Nutiva and the company has great customer service when I called with questions. I’ve used the Costco brand, Nature’s Way, Barleans and PLNT (I think it’s Vitamin Shoppes brand). Just make sure it’s unrefined and virgin. I looked up Virgin vs Extra Virgin before I bought coconut oil and that seems to just be a marketing term.

Pitlove, Here are a couple of links about coconut oil for cats:

http://bostonstreetvet.com/2014/12/12/10-uses-for-coconut-oil-for-pet-health/

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2012/02/coconut-oil-is-good-for-your-dogs.html

I’ve had really good luck with petfow and wag. A lot of people like chewy but I haven’t used them yet.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by C4D.
    #76401 Report Abuse
    Linda M

I have used Nutiva on both my GSD for over a year and never had a problem. Course they go thru a jar pretty fast.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.