🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Melanie B

My Great Dane Herc has been having hair loss and dandruff issues for the last couple years. He is really not itchy and doesn’t lick or scratch. We initially thought is was a reaction to his neutering at a year, but it continued on. I was feeding him Acana Wild Prairie at the time and wondered if it was a food allergy. I switched him to the Pacifica for over 6 months and nothing really changed. After the feeding trial I switched him back to a chicken formula (Boka brand) and spoke to my vet who recommended an anti-dandruff shampoo. We diligently treated him with the shampoo and he improved a bit but was never really better. I recently had a full thyroid panel done on him to rule out hypothyroidism. The tests came back that he has euthyroid sick syndrome which can be caused by allergies. My vet believes he has some seasonal allergies but also probably a food allergy. We have currently switched him to Satori Lamb (which my severely chicken allergic JRT is on) and are treating him with an allergy specific shampoo and spray. Thinking back on this whole ordeal, I remember putting my JRT on the pacifica with Herc and I had to take her off of it because she was reacting so poorly to it. I even contacted the company to see if there was something that could cause her to react (they said no). So now I’m assuming he probably has a chicken allergy just like my other dog. Has anyone with a chicken sensitive dog every had issues with Acana Pacifica? My JRT has eaten many fish based diets before and after with no issues.

#85768 Report Abuse
    Shelley S

I use Acana Grasslands for my dog. I have done a LOT of research into dog foods and their ingredients and this is the one I use for my dog. I feel it is important to have a product whose ingredients are sourced in the US and Canada rather than elsewhere. Chicken allergies appear to be rather common and Danes do tend towards sensitive skin. Here are the ingredients of Grasslands… Deboned lamb, lamb meal, duck meal, whitefish meal*, whole peas, red lentils, field beans, deboned duck, whole eggs, deboned walleye, duck fat, herring oil, lamb liver, herring meal, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fibre, whole apples, whole pears, pumpkin, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, spinach, cranberries, blueberries, …
    When you want to talk about healthy treats let me know lol 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.