Cats and Dog eating each others food?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Cats and Dog eating each others food?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Val M

I have 2 cats and a small dog. They all seem to love Performatrin food and the cats are eating the dog food and the dog is eating the cat food. They all also eat their own food. Is this ok?? If not, how do I prevent this from happening?

#50493 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Val –

There’s really no harm in a dog eating cat food. The concern with a cat eating primarily dog food would be that they may not be consuming enough taurine. Taurine is considered essential for cats and thus cat food must contain a certain level, however it’s considered non-essential for dogs. As long as they’re also eating their own food I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

#50495 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Have you tried putting your cats food up higher where the dogs can’t reach it? I keep my cats food up on the bathroom counter top. I have two dogs that won’t touch the cat food. And I also have a Dachshund that I know would eat the cat’s food, if he could reach it. 😀 My cats don’t get a chance to eat the dog’s food, because all 3 of my dogs eat their food as soon as I give it to them.

#50506 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Labs, I do similar and put the cat’s food on the counter. I leave kibble out for the cat but not the dogs. I also agree about the taurine issue. Fat percentages in cat food can be quite higher than dog food, too, and some dogs might have issues with that.

#50534 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I agree with all of the above. I feed my cats in a bedroom that has a small pet door in it that the dogs can’t get through. I’m afraid they would eat all the cats’ food! I also have a litter box in there as they would eat all of that too. Yuck! :\

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.