Cat food recommendations

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Cat food recommendations

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,489 total)
  • Author
    arwyru24

I saw on one of the comments though that NV is discontinuing the variety pack? I am not sure. My cats do seem to like all the different NV proteins though. The one thing I have to say that hasn’t thrilled me about NV is that they seem to use a lot of pork. I try not to consume pork for myself or for my animals. Not for any religious reasons, I just like pigs and they are dog smart, so I just prefer not to eat them. I used to be a vegetarian, and I am thinking of going back. But of course my cats have to eat all meat all the time no matter what. So needless to say they’ve never tried the pork variety. They have had the venison, lamb and rabbit which I think might all have pork in it. The salmon does too. But I like to mix up their protein sources cause otherwise its just turkey salmon or chicken. They don’t really care much for the Nature’s Logic Chicken pate, so I have 9 cans or so left of that case and I won’t be ordering it again. Also, I ordered a 12 can case of HALOs whitefish pate because they usually love that one, and it was less expensive at $16.99 then some of the other foods but it seems to me like it smells different then I remember it smelling. They still seem to like it fine, but I really can’t stand feeding it. They liked the Canidae pure Chicken turkey lamb enough to eat it, I got 2 big cans at the store cause I had a coupon but not enough to order it all the time. So I think I am going to order 3 or 4 variety packs incase they do stop carrying them, and that way I also wind up getting 12 cans of duck for 23.00 which is a good deal.

#44548 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I lied. The lamb doesn’t have any pork in it.

#44551 Report Abuse
    arwyru24
    #44553 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

C4C: I swear that fancy feast is kitty crack. My cats loooovvvee fancy feast. And the fancy feast classic is grain free. I tried feeding that for awhile in rotation to keep my food costs a little lower. Some of the varieties were totally fine a lot of the time I fed them but I think they were all barfed up an inordinate amount…and there was one… I think seafood feast something like that comes in variety packs and that kind was puked up each and every single time I have ever offered.. like right away… it and its a real b*** to clean up because of course the cat always pukes on the carpet, (under my bed a lot which is nice when I don’t find it right away) and the coloring in it stains the crap out of carpet. So I swore off of fancy feast but my cats just love the stuff. Friskies too they love love love love love that stuff. I just try not to even go there again so they don’t think that if they hold out they might get fancy feast. I don’t want to play that game.

#44554 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Wyatt doesn’t throw up like ever, but Aarons always puking all over the place if I am not super careful

#44556 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Shinku won’t eat fancy feast. Or sheba. or simply nourish-pate, stews, or bisques. doesn’t eat wellness pate. no blue buffalo…. i’m going to try those sliced wellness you said, and also the weruva and tiki cat. She’s a peach

#44559 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I know from my experience at the cat shelter that there are some cats that I guess must have been raised on dry food and so just will not touch wet food. No way, no how, no kind. Now I do have to add in a caveat that because the cats were kept free roaming in cat rooms we had to free feed dry food, so that would definitely be my first step in transitioning a cat once getting them out of the shelter environment

#44560 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Aquariangt: you might find this video helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpNQs17k70&list=PLEA665BB7BA32C3E6

#44561 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

whoa my link disappeared when I hit submit. I will try again. Its tips on getting your cat to eat healthier foods… I think this vet is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpNQs17k70&list=PLEA665BB7BA32C3E6

#44562 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

wait….that is the wrong video

#44563 Report Abuse
    arwyru24
    #44564 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

this is making me wanna pull my hair out

#44565 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Shinku was a rescue cat, and has definitely been on dry food her whole life. I’ve had her for 4.5 years, so part of the fault lies in me. I gave up pretty quickly, feeding the dogs well, I was aware of what proper nutrition was but since she was so finicky kind of “called it good” with a grain free high protein dry food, until recently when I decided to take up the challenge of getting her on wet food again.

#44566 Report Abuse
    arwyru24
    #44567 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

yayyyyyyyyyy
    FINALLY. Now to go clean up all those extra posts.

#44568 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Sorry guys for all the extra videos, I don’t know how to go back and delete them soooo I made a mess

#44569 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

and here is part 2 *crosses fingers*

http://youtu.be/TdTzkQLcQXg

#44571 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Sharon:
    I had to check my spreadsheet. I fed Verus back in the fall when I started researching pet food. Remember when I wrote I had delusions of not feeding fish anymore? Well my cats liked the recipes I fed them from Verus, but most recipes include fish so I crossed them off the list. lol I have to re-visit them because they had alot of good things going on like human grade ingredients and BPA free cans to list a few. My cats don’t care for lamb so I never tried it. They loved the beef, chic & liver, and salmon recipes though. It looked like I was going to try the chicken or turkey pate’s next before I crossed them off my list. 🙂

On another subject, not that I am trying to change your mind about crack lol, I do feed several Fancy Feast recipes. The two I mainly stick to are turkey & giblets and tender liver & chicken feast classic recipes because they do not contain artificial colors and have the least offensive ingredients. There are some other flavors that don’t have added color, but they contain sodium nitrate for color retention, so I mainly stick to these two flavors. The one flavor of Friskies that C4c and me feed is the poultry platter because it does not contain added color. You never know when you might need some crack to get a kitty to eat. lol

C4c:
    Akari stopped by and gave a recommendation to aquariangt, but no updates.

#44573 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Sharon:
    Too funny! I think you only have a few minutes to edit posts on this side. I haven’t figured out how to do it anyway so my typos will remain there forever I guess.

#44575 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Thanks Bobby! I just wish I could buy a couple of cans locally but looks like the closest store is 2hrs away.

#44576 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

I hate when that happens!! I am the same way, Internet shopping is great, but not when I have to buy a case or large bag of something I haven’t fed before. Yes I know you can return things when you buy from the Internet, but re-packing, calling for a pick-up, or dropping it off somewhere, who has the time? I pretty much only buy cat food on the Internet when I know they will eat it. Bobby is easy and I don’t worry about new foods too much with him, the brats are a different story. 😉

#44589 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I did have a good experience the first time I ordered from Chewy… I got a case of 12 large cans of the Wellness turkey formula and a few of them were pretty severely dented and so I just went to chewys website and went to the live chat feature (which I’ve never used before on a website) and asked them if there was anything I could do, thinking they might be willing to credit my account the value of the dented cans and instead they sent out a brand new case the next day and that one when it arrived was perfect. I think I had 3 dented cans so that was 9 free cans. I am donating most of them. But I am not prepared to order a whole case of something new cause like you said….who knows.

So I was down by Petsmart today, so I stopped in to get another $1 Authority deal, and I asked them if I could take 2 of the 5.5oz pate cans instead of the 3.5 oz tubs (the bigger cans are cheaper anyway at 80cents vs 90cents) and it turns out the regular 5.5oz cans of the Authority are part of that deal, the coupon on the shelf was just confusing. I am still so excited about this one. Two 5.5oz cans of Authority pate, and one 4lb bag of Authority dry food came to 99cents plus 5cents tax = $1.04 total. Can’t beat it.

#44596 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

The only thing I have ever read about Chewy’s customer service was that it was excellent. I have read a few stories about customers receiving damaged products (very few stories) and that is how they handled it for those customers. I have only ordered from them a few times because I normally can find better prices locally, but would not hesitate to recommend or order from them again.

#44607 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

C4C, I’m here! I’m just creepin’. I posted a couple pages ago, actually lol There’s not much to report, so I’ve just been watching you guys talk :p

#44632 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Against the Grain, I no longer recommend this food. Just found out it is manufactured at Evanger’s. 🙁 The owners of the company are the Sher’s kids.

http://www.petbusiness.com/articles/2012-08-28/Siblings-Launch-Against-the-Grain-Food-

#44636 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

OK, I’m against Against the Grain, too.

#44651 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Isn’t Evengers the one stealing electricity and stuff like that?

#44660 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Among other things such as not paying ee’s overtime, misrepresenting the fat %’s in their foods, unknown ingredients found in their food…:(

#44661 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

LOL Way to suck XD

#44663 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Akari-
    How is kitty and Bentley?

#44688 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

They’re good 🙂 nothing new to report lol

#44708 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

http://www.chewy.com/cat/holistic-select-chicken-liver-lamb/dp/104472

Something new… and I don’t see carrageenan in it unless I am missing it

#44713 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

God cat food is expensive T.T Looks good though. That cinnamon is kind of a weird ingredient lol I assume it’s for making the food taste better.

#44716 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

I think cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory?

#44721 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It’s supposed to help you utilize carbs better, which if it actually works that way in cats, it would be a good thing.

#44722 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Well ok then lol How exactly does that work?

#44726 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Sharon:
    I have only fed the regular Holistic. They liked them for a few days, then turned their noses up to it. I feel it was because I fed flavors that included either duck or lamb which they aren’t fond of in the first place. Those new recipes look good, I am going to check them out, hopefully my pet store will carry this new line.

#44928 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Akari:
    I remember you writing you had fire ants. I don’t remember which thread so I figure we all pretty much check in here. I was looking for something from Lowe’s today before I went there and found an interesting article about organic pest control. From Lowes website:
    “Here’s a really great way to get rid of fire ants. Remember, the only way to get rid of an ant infestation is to assassinate the queen. Wait until a dry spell is about to end. Sprinkle instant grits on the fire ant hill. The workers will carry the grits to the queen for her royal meal. She’ll eat the grits and when it rains, she’ll drink. And that’s what will kill her. The grits will expand in her stomach and she’ll “bloat” to death. Once she’s out of the way, the leaderless ants will die off.”

http://lowesemployees.com/natural-organic-insect-pest-control/

#44929 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve heard something like this before. Too bad it’s rainy season and hurricane season….. LOL I also have that DE I want to try, but I’m not sure it’ll be effective in the rain :/

#44933 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My experience with the grits

Fire ant mounds have been found to have multiple queens, as many as eight. And grits swell when they get wet, where ever they are. The mound must have gotten clogged up and maybe one of the queens did die, we’ll never know, but the mound ended up splitting up into several smaller mounds. So instead of having one big mound where I knew where it was, I ended up with several small mounds that nobody knew where they were. We ended up getting bit up worse.

I make a little depression in the middle of the mound and pour boiling water that I have added some Dawn dish washing liquid to into the mound. The Dawn makes it soak into the ground faster. Sometimes I manage to get the queens, sometimes not, but it always knocks back the mound so that it isn’t so dangerous for a while.

As for the cinnamon and carbs thing, I have no idea, I just know it is something they recommend for diabetics. It’s supposed to sensitize the body to insulin or something like that, which can be an issue with cats.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by theBCnut.
    #44989 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I remember going to visit my Grandparents in Florida when I was a kid and always getting warned *about* fire ants and they sounded like something out of a horror movie. Soooo glad we don’t have those suckers way up here.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by arwyru24.
    #44999 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They are like something out of a horror movie. We also have these things called cow killer ants. They are actually wingless wasps that have a really mean sting and they are about uncrushable. They are about 20 times the size of a fire ant. Then we have Palmetto bugs. My dad calls them “Maui Bats.” They are giant flying roachlike bugs. Or how about the several different species of giant spiders we have. Florida is such a great place to live, if you like bugs.

Do you have the heebie jeebies yet? I didn’t even mention the scorpions.

#45003 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

ugggghhhhhh I am soooo not a Florida person. I just don’t do well with heat and humidity or all those creepy crawly things. I remember my Grandma telling me the fire ants can kill a person. And I have heard many disgusting stories about those Palmetto bugs. I do have the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

When I lived in Southern California, I did see scorpions crushed on the road sometimes, and a good sized lizard got into my apartment and was hanging out inside my closet one time he snuck in somehow….. but no mosquitos it was so nice. Now I live back in the North East… which definitely is mosquito country (I grew up and went to college in NY state) but here in Maine we don’t have any poisonous snakes or spiders. Or fireants. Or Palmetto bugs. It makes winter seem not so bad 😉

#45009 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Oooh, I love palmetto bugs! As long as they aren’t on me, or at least 6ft away lol They are pretty fascinating.

Patty, I’ve never seen those cow killer ants you’re talking about. I did see my first Carpenter Bee’s today though! The queen was a good two inches long! Freaky lol Oh! And I’ve seen an Orchid Bee around my ponds a few months ago. Those are gorgeous! I never knew bee’s could be so pretty lol

We do have Black Widows and Brown Recluses, though…… I don’t really like taking out entire populations of bugs around the house (other than fire ants and fleas lol), but with two out door dogs, I absolutely take out any venomous spiders I see in the back yard, with a vengeance.

#45012 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

I HATE things with wings that can buzz around my face. Like moths… I hate moths. Luckily I have 2 indoor cats that are more than happy to dispatch of any flying insect that gets into the house..especially the younger cat…mostly him…he broke one of my lamps last summer moth hunting. We do get luna moths here which are so big and freak me out. I don’t know if that was the kind of moth I saw on my sliding glass door last summer or what but one night there was a moth on my door that was soooo big it was horrifying. There is no way I was going to take any chance of letting that guy in my home that would be so disgusting and the cat would kill it and it would be the size of a small rodent and messy and uggggghhhhh

#45013 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

So Palmetto bugs sound like a nightmare. A total awful nightmare.

#45018 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Luna Moths are awesome! Hardly ever see them here because they are nearly wiped out from pesticides and human development. Someone reports one every few years. I’ve never seen one in person 🙁

Palmetto bugs are pretty gross, but theres something about them that are pretty neat lol I would never, ever want one on me, though *shudders* Had a cockroach on me once. NEVER. AGAIN. I can’t imagine a GIANT cockroach on me lol

#45020 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The biggest Palmetto bug I’ve seen was just under 3 inches, but usually they are more like 1 1/2 inches, and did I mention that they can fly?!?!? They only seem to do that when they scare the cr*p out of you in the middle of the night.

We have the normal poisonous spiders, then we have the giants like banana spiders, golden orb weaver spiders, then there’s the giant spiders that chase you, wolf spiders.

We have 3 different colors of Luna moths, but I like them. We also have a local colony of bats, and I LOVE them!!! They keep our mosquito population in check. Don’t get me started on frogs, toads, snakes, and lizards.

Akari, cow killers are found in rural areas and are black and/or red, almost an inch long, and segmented like wasps, but otherwise look like giant ants. And I’m not kidding when I say they are almost impossible to crush. Their stinger is internal until they go to use it and I would swear it was their whole body length. I would only be exaggerating by a little bit.

#45025 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve seen 4 inch palmetto bugs. Thats just nasty LOL

I love seeing all the different spiders when we go up to Gainsville. Even in the more populated areas, there are these huge 5 inch long spiders, just chilling in the parking lot trees lol Oh my lord, I hate wolf spiders!!!!!! Only ones I can’t do. Even tarantulas don’t bother me. How weird is that?? LOL

I didn’t know Luna Months came in different colors! I’ve only seen the green ones with the white bodies.

We have some really cute little bats around here. I don’t know if they are Mexican Freetails, or Brown Bats, or what, but they are so stinking cute! We don’t have many because the city sprays for mosquitoes, but when you live in a pretty heavily rivered area, you can only kill off so many mosquitoes by dropping spray from puddle jumpers once every couple of months. I do brave the mosquitoes to watch them a couple times a year.

#45029 Report Abuse
    arwyru24

Luna moths are very very pretty as long as they are not flying near my face. I don’t know what kind of moth I saw on my sliding glass door because I could only see its belly/body but it was big. Its the flying around my face thing that really gets me. I don’t like butterflies to get too close to me either. You know how some people like to release butterflies at their weddings instead of throwing rice or birdseed? That sounds like a nightmare.

June bugs gross me out because of the sound they make, so I am sure Palmetto bugs are just…. I need to stop thinking about them because I had to go ahead and look up a picture of them and eeeek. I am not afraid of spiders, but I do remember that in FL there are spiders that are like… almost as big as my hand. That I am not comfortable with. If they chased me I would run and scream. But regular run of the mill little spiders I actually don’t mind having around the house cause they catch other things. My cat does kill those too though. I find spider bodies. I think he eats the moths though.

I like that bats are around, I just don’t want one getting in my house. If you wake up and find a bat is in your room/house you are supposed to get a rabies shot because I guess people don’t always know that they have been bitten by a bat. So I think it is the most common way people get rabies.

*edit for typo*

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by arwyru24.
Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 1,489 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.