šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JAN E

I have a 2 year old Golden Retriever who has been plagued with skin issues due to allergies her whole life. Food tests found she’s allergic to soybeans, corn, alfalfa, green peas, sweet potatoes and beef! I’ve used California Natural dry food her whole life, trying different ones until we determined the problem. I find that most quality dry foods contain many of these ingredients. Canned food seems pretty expensive. Can anyone suggest a dry food that does not contain these things? I’m seriously considering cooking chicken for her and storing portions in the freezer….! Any help is appreciated!

#54478 Report Abuse
    JAN E

Forgot to mention that I want to eliminate rice also, because we still have skin issues (havent yet rulled out grass).

#54482 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

If you do have to go the homemade route, there are some good books out there to help you for a balanced diet. Dr Karen Becker’s “Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats” and Steve Brown’s “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” are my 2 favorites. Also, check out Dogaware dot com for some recipes. You can substitute as needed when you make homemade.

#67282 Report Abuse
    JAN E

Wanted to thank you all again for your help, and give you an update. Since I joined this group and did some investigating due to these allergies, we settled on a daily diet of 1/2 can Wild Calling (anything but Beef!) + 1 cup Ziwi Peak Lamb, twice each day. Every now and then I’ll cook chicken chunks or ground turkey to substitute for Ziwi, which is not inexpensive! Happy to report that we have clear skin, shiny coat, noticibly happier disposition! Thank you all!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.