Canned Pumpkin?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Canned Pumpkin?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sam Koch

Hello,

I have a 13 pound Chihuahua mix, she is about 3 years old. I adopted her about 2 months ago and she’s never really been regular. She’s either constipated or has diarrhea, and when I think it’s normal I pick it up and it’s mushy. I’ve heard canned pumpkin can help regulate them, and I was thinking about trying it. Good choice?

She eats 1/2 cup twice daily of Whole Earth Farms adult formula.

Sam

#69380 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, canned pumpkin is an excellent choice to try. When you open the can, freeze what you won’t use immediately into ice cubes so it won’t go bad. One ice cube a day is about the perfect amount for a 13 lb. dog.

#69403 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

That’s a long time for digestive upset. I also wonder of its too much food? 1cup seems like alot. I’ve never used whole earth farms so don’t know kcals off the top of my head, but mine are 20 and 18 and they get 2/3 cup of most brands, and a bit less of some

#69412 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

It looks like the product you’re using contains about 352 kcals per cup. Unless she’s super active, like Losul said, that does sound like an awful lot of food for a 13 pound Chi.

#69427 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I will try cutting the amount down. I went with what’s on the bag of food, but it does seem like a lot. Should I try 1/2 cup a day? or 2/3?

#69431 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Every dog is different, so hard to predict, also depends on her condition. If she is in ideal condition maybe try 2/3 cup and see if that helps, but id definitely add pumpkin or probiotics, and honestly, id switch foods after this long

#69434 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I’m nervous to switch foods. I tried switching to Merrick’s small breed formula, and I did it really slow and it still messed her stomach up. She’s in great shape, I’ll try 2/3 cup.

#69720 Report Abuse
    Sam Koch

I thought I’d give an update: I switched her to 2/3 cup and gave her a little bit of pumpkin for a while and weened her off just to a tiny bit (don’t want to overdose her on vitamin A) and she had normal poops yesterday and today!! Thank you all for the help, I am near the end of my bag of food and now that she is normal I will try switching. Is there any recommendations that would be easiest on her stomach coming from Whole Earth Farms?

Once again, thank you! It’s a great weight off my shoulders and I can tell Honey is feeling much better.

Sam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.