Canine Carry Outs Beef Flavor

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Canine Carry Outs Beef Flavor

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Maria B

This morning at 4 am I was awaken by the convulsions my beloved pug Carson was experiencing. The shaking was followed by vomiting; we had to wait until 7:30 am to take him to the vet and lo and behold, his liver enzymes were skyrocketing. The previous week, for the very first time, I bought a bag of Canine Carry Outs Beef Flavor and he loved them…but almost killed him. I started researching on the internet and found out that other pets have been violently ill by this product. I called the 1-800-252-7022 number and they were closed for the day. However, right off the bat the voice mail specified that they have been receiving several calls about the product being in China and they stated all their products are made in the USA. If you go to Walmart.com and look for this product, at the bottom of the page there is a statement from DelMonte that says..some of the ingredients are imported from China. Please, let’s remove that product from the shelves!!!! I am blessed my Carson didn’t die.

#67062 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Thank you for the warning! I’m really glad your dog made it through the ordeal!

#69566 Report Abuse
    Rebecca L

I’m glad also. I was too tricked by these treats stating they were made in the USA but really only packaged here. Our Burkly is only 6 and had a couple of seizures we took him to the vet and they said he had epilepsy and his organs looked fine after blood tests. Thank God he must not have eaten enough of this crap to kill him. You can’t trust these greedy corporations!

Anyone have any suggestions as to what small treat to give our yorkie pooh he takes an allergy pill every day. Are the mini Milkbones brand even safe?

#69732 Report Abuse
    Catherine T

My little Daisy is just 5lbs, and 7yrs old. I had been buying her those canine carryout treats since she was a puppy. When she was 2, that was the first time i seen her seizure! I about lost it! It was also just 2 weeks after i had lost my brother. Took her to vet and really they couldn’t tell me why or what i could do. She continued to get the treats that she loved( that i didn’t know are killing her) and she would have a seizure once every 3 months or so. Now she is 7 and when she has a seizure now she has 3-4 throughout the day and it seems to be every other month atleast. Then shes out of it for a day or 2 and usually vomits. My heart breaks every time and i just hold her cry and clean her up. I just seen on fb that these treats are the cause! This company needs to be terminated! ASAP! Please notify me with any info about this. Thanks

#76465 Report Abuse
    Lenny I

How do you know ingredients are from China? I don’t see a mention of it at Walmart.com or anywhere else credible. Can you post a link where see it? Thanks. Although I am questioning the China-link, I’ll be clear that I never trust any dog food from there and would not buy it. But that aside, I still would not give Canine Carry Outs to my dog due to the poor choice of ingredients in it. It’s best a person learn about good ingredients and avoid bad ones when picking out food/treats. Anyway, I’d like to verify their components come from China if you could supply validation. Thanks.

#76794 Report Abuse
    M Y

Pugs carry a genetic disorder called PDE (Pug Dog Encephalitis) The main symptoms of which are seizures. It’s very common in pugs. It effects them at any age and can either come on slowly over time or instantly without any warnings. You may want to check into that as the cause of the dogs seizures and not the treats. I have not seen any recalls on canine carry outs. Mostly just people guessing thats what it may be and a lot of fake info about the treats floating around that has been proven to be incorrect but freaks everyone out after they read it. The main fake info floating around is that it has antifreeze in it (ethelene glycol) but there is none of that in it. There is however propylene glycol which is used in human food & dog foods and a ton of items we & our pets eat which is safe for consumption by us & our furry dog kids. It is not used in cat foods though. Check into PDE as the cause for the seizures.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by M Y.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by M Y.
    #76797 Report Abuse
    M Y
    #76800 Report Abuse
    C4D

M Y,

These are just terrible treats. It doesn’t matter where they come from. They have been sold off to Smuckers now & there are various ingredient labels depending on which site you go to. I can’t even find the actual ingredients from the company that owns it. The website doesn’t even link to anything about the products. The ingredient panel on any of the sites is just awful, with all kinds of coloring and artificial additives. I think Petfooddirect might be the older formula, but they may still have it in stock. Either way, dogs don’t need BHA, sugar, 4 different artificial colors and a bunch of other preservatives in their treats!

Big Heart Brands website:
    http://www.bigheartpet.com/

Bacon flavor on Petfooddirect:

Ingredients

Chicken, Corn Syrup, Soy Flour, Wheat Flour, Corn Starch, Water, Propylene Glycol, Animal Fat (BHA Used As A Preservative), Animal Digest, Calcium Sulfate, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sugar, Beef, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Sorbic Acid (Used As A Preservative), Red 40 Lake, Garlic Powder, Natural Smoke Flavor, Iron Oxide, BHA (Used As A Preservative), Citric Acid (Used As A Preservative).

Bacon flavor on Pet360, Target & Walmart:

Ingredients

Wheat Flour, Soybean Flour, Water, Beef. Glycerin, Whole Corn Sugar, Bacon, Corn Syrup, Natural Smoke Flavor, Bone Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Sorbate (Used As A Preservative), Phosphoric Acid, Red 40 Lake, Glyceryl Monostearate, Yellow 6 Lake, Titanium Dioxide, BHA (Used As A Preservative), Yellow 5 Lake, Blue 1 Lake.

#76809 Report Abuse
    Lenny I

I agree it’s a bad product, and one does not have to worry about it being from China after reading the ingredients, but to throw in the China conspiracy should also include verifiable sources for that information, which I have yet to see any. Is this an extension of the false recall news floating around about the product too? Being a bad product aside, where are the sources that show it’s from China?

#77158 Report Abuse
    Jillian S

I almost lost my terrier mix to these treats last winter. She developed falconi syndrome (kidney renal failure) and after nearly $8000 in medical bills she pulled out of it. If anyone has more information on this topic please share because I’m planning to take action.

#77548 Report Abuse
    d r

My dog loves these, been giving them to her for 5 yrs. So far not one side effect. As far as made in China or Anti Freeze as an ingredient, I don’t know. If the vet tested the treats and found it to be the direct cause of your pets issues, I don’t know. I only know they haven’t done anything to my dog yet.

#79499 Report Abuse
    pug l

i started giving my pug the “canine carryouts” dog treats last week and he also experienced a violent seizure this morning! luckily we rushed him to the vet and his is doing okay now but please please please do not give these to your dog!

#79556 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

d r:

“….I only know they haven’t done anything to my dog yet’. Are you still feeding these? I hope not!

#79649 Report Abuse
    Mal W

My dog, pitbull boxer, just tuned 2 and weighs 50lbs. For the past 3 days she has been waking me up in the middle of the night crying. When I let her out she vomits and has diarrhea. Throughout the day she seems fine, a little whiny, but other than that everything seems normal. It’s at night time where she is having problems.

Her appetite seems normal, she’s been drinking a fair amount of water, nothing to out of the ordinary. I bought Canine Carry outs, beef and bacon flavor, from Walmart on Monday, the 19th. I have given her these treats before, not the specific kind, but this brand I have before. Rarley though, I usually am a milk bone fan. I called the business number, they were closed for the day. I took her to the vet, they want to run some test results if she doesn’t get better or worse by tomorrow.

I guess my question here is should I get the test results to be safe? Will the tests determine that these treats are the problem? I’m definitely throwing them out and will no longer be giving my dog them but how can these still be on the shelf if so many problems have been brought up?

#79943 Report Abuse
    Savanna H

I have a 3 year old dachshund as well as a 6 year old pug. I’ve given them the carry out treats for at least 3 years and have never had an issue. They love all kinds but the carryout are their favorites.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Savanna H.
    #81166 Report Abuse
    Francis F

Hi Mal W,

I believe that if your dog is showing stomach problems when eating these treats, you should stop immediately.

I own a toy poodle 4.5 lbs., now 14 years old, who LOVES the Canine Carry Outs beef flavor, and a blessing that he’s never had a problem with these.

Now, I only give him 1/2 of a nugget mixed with the ProPlan dry tidbits & a teaspoon of the Cesar wet food. If I am going out for a few hours, I give him the other 1/2 cut into pieces.
    I actually take the time to chop each nugget 3x lengthwise & 3x wide….innocent little pooch, he loves them & is so satisfied with the small treats.

But I did notice once when I bought the bacon & the patties that he vomited, so I stopped on the second episode & threw them away.

I just checked the bag & mine says in a big front seal: MADE IN THE USA and no where in the package nor ingredients does it mention China.

Perhaps the amount given makes a difference, along with the type of food he eats, expensive but worth it. ProPlan dry for small breeds since he was born has protected his digestive system.

Good luck & may this input help dog-loving owners.

#81856 Report Abuse
    Darrell M

My wife and I purchased some bags of Canine Carry Outs, Bacon and Beef flavor Snacks, at Walmart. We used them as stocking stuffers, at Christmas time and for our daughters dogs. We also use them as a treat for our 12 year old Labbradoodle, Calvin, he likes them each time he gets his required eye drops. He experienced bad diarrhea and lost his appetite. We took him to the Vet and got medication. He is better now. We got a call from our Daughter that one of her York’s started with the diarrhea after giving him the Canine Carry Outs. Our second Daughter just informed us that her Chocolate Lab started throwing up after giving him some of the Carry Outs. This prompted me to start doing a little research on line. I find other people have had similar experiences. The bags say they are “Distributed By” and do not give the manufacture. I’m really concerned why they don’t say where these Carry Outs are made. My first thought is China sense the manufacture is not shown. My first call to Big Heart Pet Brands found the office closed. Will try again during the week and try to get some answers. I don’t find any recall as of yet and only hope we are not being mislead with a lack of information and a poor quality product.

#81860 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi Darrel M,

I posted earlier on this thread, please read my comments. I admit that 20 years ago I gave these to my dog, poor baby. These are just terrible treats. There are so many options of fresh food you could give your dog as opposed to this bag of junk. You could give them: bananas, apples, carrots, cantaloupe, watermelon, peanut butter, a piece of cooked chicken, anything fresh. They would look, feel and be healthier if you do.

#81863 Report Abuse
    Darrell M

C4D

Thanks for the followup. We are taking your advice and staying away from junk treats. As a mater of fact , for a main meal (2), we now find that buying a whole chicken, when they are on sale, and cooking it in a crock pot is now our dogs favorite meal. Of course we strip the chicken, skim off the fat and add the juice back to the chicken with a can of peas, some corn and some strings beans along with rice and cook till the rice is done. Freeze that in separate tubs and give about 4 table spoons to a cup of good dry food. He cleans the bowl spotless. We’re using this in place of the two or three table spoons of caned dog food we used to put with the dry food. There were some can foods he would not touch. Calvin is a 12 year old retired Labbradoodle that was a Guide Dog for the Blind for 10 years until he went blind in the right eye and blew out both rear knees. He weights in at around 80 lbs. and this amount of food maintains that weight as he is not that active anymore. The Vet says he is in good health otherwise.

#81901 Report Abuse
    Francis F

To everyone that has experienced a bad reaction to their dog(s) eating the Canine CarryOuts treats:
    In reading the situation with your dog(s), I wonder, how many of the CarryOut treats did they eat?
    Because some of our dogs have not had any issues so far, even after years of eating them, the question arises that maybe your dog is eating too many of these instead of only a treat.
    I remember about 5 years ago, I left my toy poodle at a very expensive pet resort in Tampa, FL, with specific instructions on how many little pieces of these treats should be given and when. The afternoon care person didn’t read and because he wasn’t eating his regular ProPlan food, she went ahead and gave him the entire daily portion! Well, when I picked him up at 5:00 pm, he was vomiting and had diarrhea. I went inside and that’s when I found out what had happened. So, that’s why I say that perhaps it is the amount of these that they are eating and could be the same with other treats if given an excessive amount per day.
    You can read my previous post on 12/13/15 for my experience and thoughts. I’ve checked the 5 oz. packages very carefully and it clearly states MADE IN THE USA, right at the bottom, right front of package. Nowhere does it state China.
    Why take a risk if you had a bad experience and if someone finds out for sure via a letter from their vets that these were the cause of the problems, please make a special post all in caps so that we all know about it. Hope you stopped immediately and that all ends in a healthy diagnosis. Thank you for sharing the good & the bad. We certainly don’t want our pooches to suffer. Francis3

#83317 Report Abuse
    mako s

Hi. I bought this canine carry outs bacon treat last Monday .. I give her( 16 pound Pomeranian) treats( 2 pieces) she got very sick 3 hours later , seizures and couldn’t stand up , vomit , she never had this treat before, it’s very deadly treat I think. I almost lost her, today she is doing little better .WHY its STILL on Wal- Mart shelf ? I called company what is going on and she said I might give her too much ???? please don’t buy this CANINE CARRY OUTS TREAT …

#86260 Report Abuse
    Donna M

I bought a bag of these 10 days ago and now my baby is dead. If I had 100% proof that these treats killed her their would be a heck of a lawsuit going on. Do not feed these things to your furbabies and tell everyone you know not to feed them to their furbabies either

#86379 Report Abuse
    Helene K

Our sweet dog, Ginger, passed yesterday…kidney failure. She was an 8 year old Pom. In hind sight, I believe it was the Canine carry outs that were a contributing factor. We have 2 poms, both experienced foul smelling and abnormal BM’s, lethargy, uncontrolled urination, loss of appetite, dehydration, vomiting. We stopped giving these treats to them. Apparently, there is an FDA WARNING on these treats dated May 4th, but the parent company has not issued a recall on them. Negligence on their part….absolutely! They took the best dog we’ve ever had away from us. And left a whole, more so for my daughter who was Ginger’s pet human, in our family. It was too late for Ginger, but our younger Pom seems to be much better now. I will be having him seen and those treats tested by the vet. For proof of FDA warning, see Canine Carry Outs facebook. There is a vet that posted the letter from FDA on there.
    Our sweet Ginger was a rescue. She was 6 years old when we got her. Dental issues, but otherwise in good health. We got her on 2/10/15. We (a month later) discovered she was deaf, but she could follow hand signal commands. Point is, we only had 15 months with her. A very short time, but there was never a better, smarter dog in my opinion. She was ours and we were hers. And then that bond was severed needlessly. I will Pursue this! Canine carry outs negligently failed to issue a warning despite an issued FDA warning and numerous deaths linked to their product. They didn’t just have a roll to play in our dog’s death, they took the equivalent of a child from us…they severed a bond so strong that you rarely if ever find…one in a million! And most of all, it hurts me to see my daughter so miserable. That dog and her were absolutely, 200% bonded. Her heart was ripped out of her chest emotionally yesterday!

#86385 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I’m sorry for your loss, Helene

#86668 Report Abuse
    Francis F

To Donna M. and To Helene K. : I am very sad for your losses. I know how much we love our loyal dogs and if the Canine Carry Outs are causing these mishaps, it should definitely be removed from the shelves.

My little dog is 14 years old and has always loved these treats, as I stated back in 2015. I have been giving him these treats (beef) since he was about 2 years old. Now, to me, these are TREATS only and are not to be fed as regular food. I have read the bags ‘Made in USA’ and don’t find where it indicates products from China. Prior to the complaints on the forums and the several deaths, I used to give him no more than 1/2 of a nugget in a.m. and 1/2 nugget in p.m. / Since reading all the forums, I became very skeptical and only give him like 1/4 of an inch crumbled up. I even stopped for a while and bought these other $6 treats at PetSupermarket, but when he eats more than 2, he throws up.

Now, so that all of us who have given our pooches these treats, and have been fortunate that they are still alive: can you indicate on the forum how many of these treats were you giving your dogs and for how long had you purchased them. Can someone post the link or a photo of bag where it indicates ingredients are from China? How about the FDA
    indication of removal?

Thank you and again, I am really sad for your losses.

#88066 Report Abuse
    Alice R

I just bought these for my Rottweiler along with a bag of dog food she doesn’t norally eat but has had several times with
    No problems. I noticed 2 nights ago she starred vomiting then yesterday morning I woke up to her vomiting. Well all day today she seemed ok so I decided to give her little treat NC she LOVES the’s carry outs beef flavor. Not even 2 hours later she has vomited 2 times. She’s still playing and drinking fine but I can tell she don’t feel good. I’m sorry ed should I take her to the vet? Or do you think it will pass once it’s out of her system?

#88082 Report Abuse
    Francis F

Hi Alice R,

I’m sorry to hear about your Rottweiler’s vomiting. I have asked this question over and over in these forums and no one replies:

Question: how many of the canine Carry Outs did you give your Rottweiler? I own a toy poodle, 4.5 lbs., 14 years old. He’s been eating these treats since he was born; however,
    I only give him a little piece like 3/4″ with each meal, that means twice a day. Every once in a while, to reward him about something, I may give him 1/4 of a nugget.

I’ve indicated before that these are TREATS, not food, and that is why I’ve asked everyone how much they give. Be careful though, you don’t want your dear dog to get real sick or worse. Good luck, Francis3

#91106 Report Abuse
    Joy C

All Canine Carry Outs® chewy dog treats are made right here in the USA. All major ingredients, including the meat, come from the USA. Like most pet companies, they source a limited amount of minor ingredients from other countries due to limited availability in the U.S. They do not source any of our ingredients from China.

#100270 Report Abuse
    jenny d

We have a 5-year-old German Shepherd who just started having seizures a few months ago. We’ve been feeding her these Canine Carry Out treats, sometimes quite often (teaching her tricks). I threw them away today just in case.

#118385 Report Abuse
    Shanna S

Have 3 dogs. 2 of which have always eaten the chicken carryout s dog trests. Never a problem until 2 days ago. I found a few piles of dog throw up. I did not know which dog was sick. They all seemed ok.
    Yesterday I find more vomit. So now I am on the watch. Long story short. 2 out of 3 were sick. All threw up exactly the same stuff. Looked just like chewed up chicken carryouts.
    I threw them away and will never buy them again. I had been feeding them for 3 + years and never had a problem. No vomiting since I threw them out.

#121769 Report Abuse
    Ashley C

My dog is very sick. I blame these treats. I know for a fact now it’s the treats. I pray I don’t lose my dog. So sad. DO NOT FEED these to your animals to whoever reads this.

#128903 Report Abuse
    M M
    #184001 Report Abuse
    Matthew M
    Participant

My dad’s dog loved these and then one day he got really sick throwing up and then he started whining like he was scared and while I was holding him trying to calm him down he all of a sudden yelped really loud bc his stomach ruptured and he bled out internally. It doesn’t make any sense to me how this company is getting away with this. Most people might just see a dog but to us they are just like any other member of our family!

#184002 Report Abuse
    Matthew M
    Participant

And to whoever posted the link about this being fake news. Some of us have seen it first hand. It’s not fake news. It’s very real news being covered up by a company that screwed up by selling an unsafe product. It happens all the time and you know I’m talking about. Have you or a loved one ever used blah blah blah if so you may be entitled to compensation but we would should be entitled to buy safe products that won’t kill are pets and give us cancer.

#184003 Report Abuse
    Mikka O
    Participant

My baby girl, Misty, has had a rough bout of crap thrown at her… By far the most terrifying and, thankfully, the least difficult to remedy, thank any and everything out there… was when I got her the treats I once gave my former miniature Pinscher, Daisy, like… well over a decade ago.
    Anyways, Misty had eaten //maybe// two of the steak carryout treats… and we spent the night driving all over town trying to find a vet that wasn’t “only VIP members get access to overnight, emergency or weekend veterinarian care”. She was vomiting blood and having very runny, dark bloody stools. All Night.
    It had tapered off by morning, and I stuck with what I’d done when she was post-stroke and any movement meant rolling around uncontrollably… which included water, a medicine syringe she hadn’t forgotten how to drink from, and carrying her all day in a sling I’d made when she was post-stroke. Waited 12 hours to begin feeding her, and even then, only 7-10 pieces of her normal food every hour, if she’d handled the previous dose of food well. She could chew by then, but outside when I slept (which had her in her nicer bed, in her smaller crate’s bottom half right next to me in bed), I just carried her aound in the sling while I did housework.
    We got her in to a Vet the next monday, the incident had been friday night… and thankfully, they said I’d made a good call on caring for her. Outside that, they just told me not to give her those EVER again, and recommended a different, better treat that she’s since obsessed over and enjoyed so much more (especially more than that night).

Looking back, I know Daisy was tossed aside (locked up and ignored) by the people using her to breed because she had cancer before she was rescued… But I wonder if those treats played any part in how sick she’d gotten… The vet back then had me stop feeding her anything mass-produced and gave me recipes to hand-make meals for her, and she’d stopped having seizures and respoding to her cancer meds better… Also wonder if they caused my grandma’s sheltie’s death… She just came out of her room one morning to brush her teeth, and found him on the floor next to a small puddle of bloody bile…

With Misty, we reported what happened to the local walmart we’d gotten them from, and one CS lady said she wished she could just throw them out whenever they came in, the other just said it was “nothing new”…

#185740 Report Abuse
    James H
    Participant

All 3 dogs I fed Canine Carry Out could not stand or walk and 1 died…..

Only gave 5 small pieces each for 50 pound dogs.

All over the internet this treat causes dogs to not be able to stand or walk and kills….

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.