Calories, carbs and fat

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Supplements Calories, carbs and fat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Myra S

I’m having a heck of a time with keeping my 3 dachshunds weight in check. I don’t like feeding a high protien because my male can’t handle it. Don’t like fat over 12% because female has had one pancreatic attack years ago. Keeping that in mind why is it if I’m portion feeding with high quality, low fat and protien and making sure they get exercise they still run a couple of # over. Treats consist of low fat or frozen veggies. How do you decide calories and carbs if you can’t get to DFA while shopping? I do measure each ones food and try to adjust while getting them enough nutrition. Vets are NO help on this matter.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 11 months ago by Myra S.
    #72921 Report Abuse
    Rose F

I don’t measure them, just give as much as my doggy needs.
    I try to give homemade organic dog food full of nutrition and vitamins. However, it’s important to research what you can feed your dog before you do it

#72922 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I think it comes down primarily to portion size. And yes, some dogs “do better” on higher protein, lower carbs, etc.; so, yes, it’s also about finding the combination of nutrients that works for your dog. If you cut your current portion, you might see some better results. Remember to include the “extras” in their total daily intake. Especially with smaller dogs, it’s easy to overfeed.

You didn’t mention whether or not you were a kibble feeder, but currently I’m feeding this to my Cavalier, who is a notorious little piggy and gains weight very easily: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=93

I’ve had great success with the Wellness Small Breed Complete Health Healthy Weight. My Arabella has lost the weight finally! This food has fewer calories than a lot of the high quality foods that you might have been feeding.

#77813 Report Abuse
    Lazaro B

Have you looked into Natural Balance Fat Dogs? It has only 7.5 % fat, 10% fiber and 250 calories per cup. It does have more carbs though. I feed it to my dog and his is at a very good weight. 3 more things to add….protein is 26%, it has a prebiotic in it but no probiotics and with all that fiber, they are going to poop a lot.

#77814 Report Abuse
    Myra S

I have tried Natural Balance but again it’s that protein thing. I have to stay below 24% and 10% fiber is way too much for my liking. I am feeding Wellness Complete Health Healthy Weight. 21% protein, 6% fat and 6% fiber. I am giving them coconut oil to make up for the fat and so far I’m able to feed a little more and they are satisfied.
    Thank you all for your input it helps you to know where to begin your search

#77815 Report Abuse
    Lazaro B

Glad to hear you found a low protein, low fiber dog food

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.